Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question - Noah is 15 months old, and I have an opportunity to take him to a Lure Coursing Trial at a big dog show here in GA Lure Coursing

A few friends who were there to compete in Rally (and did great, btw) did it yesterday for their first time and had a blast, and completed two legs towards a title and may be going back this weekend. Their dogs are 2 and over in age. They allow one run in the a.m. and one run in the p.m. per dog.

My question is - will this be safe at 15 months old regarding his joints, considering that there are sharp turns involved?

We don't HAVE to do this, I thought he would have a blast trying it though, but his health always comes first. I don't want to risk any injuries. If it matters, he is still intact.

If we go, it will be tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
16,423 Posts
I had a great time lure coursing with the goldens . They were enthralled. IMO by 15 months, you could exacerbate joint issues that preexist if they are there, but you are going to be fine with normal joints. Take a peek/ do prelims? I let Sayer and Mystic both try their paws at lure coursing bc it was on plush grass with good footing. One of the most fun activities!

Reactions: rabernet

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a great time lure coursing with the goldens . They were enthralled. IMO by 15 months, you could exacerbate joint issues that preexist if they are there, but you are going to be fine with normal joints. Take a peek/ do prelims? I let Sayer and Mystic both try their paws at lure coursing bc it was on plush grass with good footing. One of the most fun activities!
Good point, but I don't know if he has any joint issues, and wouldn't be able to take a peek or do prelims before tomorrow.

I don't have any reason to believe that he has any joint issues, but I'm not going to risk it this go round. Chances are that I'm going to be re-locating in the next few months and there is lure coursing offered at a local facility there, and we may try some straight lines for now.

I plan to do Noah's hip and elbows right after he turns 2 - it's also after the 1 year wait period with his health insurance to cover dysplasias.

I've been very careful about monitoring both his growth rate and weight as well as his activities to try to stack the odds in his favor. (as well as keeping him intact). The only jumping he's ever been allowed to do is into water.

I'm rambling, but I think you basically answered my question. Given that his joint condition is unknown, even though I believe them to be good, it's not the same as knowing for sure, and for that reason, we'll pass on this opportunity this weekend. We'll have more chances in the future!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I show my guys in obedience and no one in this house does any formal jumping or enforced exercise until they are two. I have a houseful of sound dogs and have always wanted to stack everything in their favor. The times they are most likely to injure themselves is when they are excited and going go for broke. I think you made the correct decision.

·
Kate
21,301 Posts
Teeny thought here is I'm not sure if I'd be worried about hip/elbows with lure coursing...

I would be concerned about other injuries particularly if the dogs lose their footing.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teeny thought here is I'm not sure if I'd be worried about hip/elbows with lure coursing...

I would be concerned about other injuries particularly if the dogs lose their footing.
You mean like cruciate tears? That thought crossed my mind as well.

At the end of the day - I'm glad that I asked. I was getting caught up in the excitement of my friends having "discovered" lure coursing yesterday at the show and already knowing it was something I wanted to explore with Noah. We shall wait and enjoy our journey of dock diving and nosework in the meantime! :)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Don't know about health wise stuff, but Joey tried lure coursing when he was 4 and he LOVED it!! It became one of his most favourite things so if you can get a chance to try it.. I recommend it! The difference between Joey and the sighthounds, where that once they were finished the chase they didn't care about the lure... where as Joey would grab the lure and never let go!! :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know about health wise stuff, but Joey tried lure coursing when he was 4 and he LOVED it!! It became one of his most favourite things so if you can get a chance to try it.. I recommend it! The difference between Joey and the sighthounds, where that once they were finished the chase they didn't care about the lure... where as Joey would grab the lure and never let go!! :)
You know, it's interesting that you say that, because both of my friends dock dive train with us, and they both said that their dogs both loved it even more than dock diving (and we didn't think that was possible).

Both of their dogs were so excited after doing it once and having to wait for the afternoon for their second leg. They said they were just fixated on the other dogs who were trialing.

I figured Noah would love it, because he absolutely adores his flirt pole! LOL

What's 7 more months? LOL We're really enjoying nosework right now as a second sport, so we'll focus on that and dock diving for now!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Noseworks is nice. Low impact and dogs do love it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts