Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of pure happy excitement that is, not out of aggression in any way. Anyways, my now 8 month old has seen many training classes, etc. She is heeling decently otherwise, but just recently on walks she's gotten worse at just suddenly full out lunging towards people we pass. Not just pulling on the ground either - like full flying jump lunging while I have her on my left side and people pass on the right. It's definitely startled a few people now!

Usually I'm able to stop her mid jump and force her into a sit to calm down. On that note I've also tried making her sit and wait out of the way when I see people approaching and she still can't contain herself. (I can only physically hold her down and using a stern voice with her doesn't seem to phase her whatsoever when she's in that state of mind).

Anyways today it was icy out, and surprise I got pulled right off my feet, and then she just started frantically leaping all over me on the ground out her excitement and I just couldn't get up / get her off me (my boyfriend was there to help after laughing of course...I'm sure it looked pretty funny anyways:doh:).

Maybe it's just because she's hasn't had her daily playmate for the last week who was spayed so obviously can't play for a little while. But, that still should be no excuse to react that way! (You can probably guess why dog parks for exercise don't work at this point, but we still try when there's less people at the park anyways).

Any suggestions????

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I hear you! My guys are still lunging at strangers. Although I have not cured the problem with my guys I think you need to get some cooperative strangers to greet your pups by staring at the ceiling or turning their backs to you dogs. Once your dogs have settled have the stranger offer a treat.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Continue training and consider adding a Gentle Leader to the mix to decrease her power and ability to lunge. Take about a week to get her used to wearing the GL before walking on her. Just put it on, feed a steady stream of treats for about 20 seconds and take it off. Do this 3-5 x a day for 7 days and THEN follow the instructions for walking her with it.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Out of pure happy excitement that is, not out of aggression in any way. Anyways, my now 8 month old has seen many training classes, etc. She is heeling decently otherwise, but just recently on walks she's gotten worse at just suddenly full out lunging towards people we pass. Not just pulling on the ground either - like full flying jump lunging while I have her on my left side and people pass on the right. It's definitely startled a few people now!

Usually I'm able to stop her mid jump and force her into a sit to calm down. On that note I've also tried making her sit and wait out of the way when I see people approaching and she still can't contain herself. (I can only physically hold her down and using a stern voice with her doesn't seem to phase her whatsoever when she's in that state of mind).

Anyways today it was icy out, and surprise I got pulled right off my feet, and then she just started frantically leaping all over me on the ground out her excitement and I just couldn't get up / get her off me (my boyfriend was there to help after laughing of course...I'm sure it looked pretty funny anyways:doh:).

Maybe it's just because she's hasn't had her daily playmate for the last week who was spayed so obviously can't play for a little while. But, that still should be no excuse to react that way! (You can probably guess why dog parks for exercise don't work at this point, but we still try when there's less people at the park anyways).

Any suggestions????
I feel your pain at the pinning you and licking you into submission. That's every morning for us. I now wake up and try to sneak out of bed to aviod the onslaught but Max is an observant boy and he nails me more than he misses!! Good luck with that!!

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
FlyingQuizini

Stephanie does the gentle leader present any problems if your dog suddenly lunges after a squirrel or another dog? I've heard it can be hard on the neck or vertebrae if it's not released when this happens.

I was using it on my 2 year old and it seemed to work great after he got over the usual rolling on the ground etc...but he's VERY prey oriented and I was concerned it might harm him if he got away after releasing it.

It does work but I've got to admit I don't understand how it works so I stopped using it. The last thing I want to do is hurt the poor little guy - I'd rather put up with the pulling.

Pete

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes on that chasing prey note, there's many rabbits in our neighborhood which instigate that same lunging response, which is awful when she sees the rabbit before I do!

I don't know anything about the gentle leader so I'll look into it! Thanks for the idea.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
As a quick fix, you can loop the leash around their belly, so it goes from the collar, around the belly and then up to you. That way if they lunge, it tightens around their belly area, knocks them off balance and keeps them on all four paws...

With Storee I used the prong and really worked on her respecting the rules of being on a leash and not having the option to take off on a wild leaf/bunny/bird/rock chase.

And yes, she'd go for rocks on the road....

Lana

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I didn't have patience to break in the gentle leader. Use the gentle leader easywalk harness. I would dread taking a young Bridger for walks - this was our salvation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts