Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be long.

Luna's been having intermittent diarrhea for a few days but honestly she's had giardia so many times that diarrhea kind of feels normal. Friday night she threw up her dinner but I attributed it to her daycare worker mentioning that she "grabbed some food" from a closet on her way down from the daycare area to the reception area. The daycare worker wanted to make sure she didn't have any food allergies just in case and thankfully she doesn't so I wasn't super worried and figured the vomiting was because she ate food that was probably much richer than her typical diet or maybe she wolfed down more than the worker thought she had.

Saturday morning I boiled some chicken and rice and she ate it and seemed ok, was retrieving balls in the afternoon, everything was relatively normal except a reduced interest in food and continued diarrhea. Sunday morning she flat out refused her kibble so I went to three different stores looking for chicken (it's all sold out due to the corona virus panic) and finally found some but she only ate a tiny bit. She's a typical food motivated golden so this was very worrying to me. But she hung out with us all Sunday while we did yard work, retrieved a few balls and dug a tiny trench presumably sniffing for moles in a wooded section of our fenced in yard. So pretty normal behavior but then she completely refused any dinner on Sunday night and vomited a bit of water so I was like ok, this is a problem. I wish I had taken her to the emergency vet right then but maybe they would've just sent us home anyway.

She vomited a tiny bit of water two or three times this morning, and I called our regular vet as soon as they opened and made an appointment for 8:30am, brought her in and of course she makes me look crazy by being her happy waggy self at the vet. I explained she'd been having diarrhea, vomited several times and I was really worried. But she didn't have a fever and the vet didn't palpate anything suspicious in her abdomen. Her vitals were normal and her gums were pink but a bit tacky which means she was dehydrated. So they did a sub-q bolus of fluids and gave her a shot of an antiemetic (Cerenia) and gave us Metronidazole and said the Cerenia will take an hour to work, if she throws up after an hour, bring her back and we'll do x-rays to double check for obstruction. Thankfully, my husband is working from home due to the corona virus situation so he was with her. She didn't throw up, so he fed her a bit of boiled chicken and gave her the Metronidazole. Around noon he took her out to pee and noticed she seemed a little strange but nothing major. At 3pm he called me saying she seemed unsteady on her feet when he made her get up to pee (she hadn't left her bed between noon and 3pm which is not normal at all for her). He also said she was occasionally having some kind of weird twitch when she was laying down but maybe it was because she was uncomfortable with the fluid bolus hump? I called the vet, they said bring her right in, we did. We were at the vet by 4pm, as I pull in I see my husband walking her in and her back is arched and she's walking at the pace of a 90 year old. Her temp was 106! They did blood work and a SNAP test for pancreatitis. SNAP test came back negative for pancreatitis, her WBC was normal, her kidney/liver function tests were good (expect a slightly elevated ALT but the vet said this was to be expected with the vomiting?) so she's assuming Anaplasmosis (a tick borne illness). She's on IV fluids and ice packs to get the temperature down. They're keeping her overnight and doing IV Doxycycline. What do you guys think? Coming home without her feels horrible. The vet is suppose to call me before 8pm with an update on her temp and general condition..

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vet just called and said temp is at 104.9 and her demeanor has changed, she's trying to get up and out of her crate and is even eating the canned Urgent Care food.

I asked her to do a test for anaplasmosis although I do understand tick borne illness tests are notoriously unreliable (false negatives are common). I'm just wondering if she had an adverse reaction to the Cerenia and the GI stuff was completely unrelated. Of course, I did ask that they only give her Ondansetron from now on because I know she tolerates that well. Either way, I guess she's going in the right direction so that's heartening.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, geez! I'm sorry! I forgot to say the x-rays were negative. Gas but nothing suspicious thankfully! They did them when we brought her back in at 4pm.

·
Super Moderator
806 Posts
There are a variety of ways to test for tickborne illness, such as PCR.
I also would recommend xrays, but I’m glad to hear she’s doing better!
Some tick born diseases present with lameness, lymphocytopenia, thrombocytopenia.
I hope they’re able to bring her fever down further, but it sounds like the vet has done well.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There are a variety of ways to test for tickborne illness, such as PCR.
I also would recommend xrays, but I’m glad to hear she’s doing better!
Some tick born diseases present with lameness, lymphocytopenia, thrombocytopenia.
I hope they’re able to bring her fever down further, but it sounds like the vet has done well.
Yeah, exactly! My confusion mainly stems from the fact that I just don't think of GI symptoms as being the first primary symptoms of a tick borne illness, you know? Admittedly, I don't know squat about tick borne illnesses in dogs so there's that. I googled anaplasmosis of course and did see vomiting and diarrhea as potential symptoms but the vet sounded like she wasn't really expecting to see GI symptoms as primary symptom of anaplasmosis either. She was really like look, this is Connecticut (TONS of ticks - I've had Lyme), it's a warm March, this is when I see tick borne illness start to spike and she has a high fever so Doxy it is. I trust her, I think she's a good vet with long solid experience (her dad was a vet too so she was basically born to do this lol) but it does feel a bit unsettling that we're treating based solely on the fever - or at least it feels that way. But again, she's going in the right direction so far, so I think I just need to trust in my vet.

Oh, also important to note - apparently anaplasmosis can be transmitted in just 6 hours so Nexguard doesn't work fast enough to protect against it.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
No helpful advice but I sure am sorry Luna's having these issues. Hope she's feeling tons better in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
806 Posts
Yeah, exactly! My confusion mainly stems from the fact that I just don't think of GI symptoms as being the first primary symptoms of a tick borne illness, you know? Admittedly, I don't know squat about tick borne illnesses in dogs so there's that. I googled anaplasmosis of course and did see vomiting and diarrhea as potential symptoms but the vet sounded like she wasn't really expecting to see GI symptoms as primary symptom of anaplasmosis either. She was really like look, this is Connecticut (TONS of ticks - I've had Lyme), it's a warm March, this is when I see tick borne illness start to spike and she has a high fever so Doxy it is. I trust her, I think she's a good vet with long solid experience (her dad was a vet too so she was basically born to do this lol) but it does feel a bit unsettling that we're treating based solely on the fever - or at least it feels that way. But again, she's going in the right direction so far, so I think I just need to trust in my vet.

Oh, also important to note - apparently anaplasmosis can be transmitted in just 6 hours so Nexguard doesn't work fast enough to protect against it.
Of course! You live in a high risk area, so your vet may have seen all of this before and doesn’t want you to do the testing unless necessary, because if I recall, it can be quite expensive to test for tickborne diseases.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No helpful advice but I sure am sorry Luna's having these issues. Hope she's feeling tons better in the morning.
Thank you! If it is anaplasmosis the turn around should be quick so here's hoping!

·
Super Moderator
2,717 Posts
Oh Geez, what unsettling news. I can feel your anxiety! Nothing to add other than I am thinking about you and Luna and wishing her a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh Geez, what unsettling news. I can feel your anxiety! Nothing to add other than I am thinking about you and Luna and wishing her a speedy recovery.
Thank you. It's really terrible having to leave them at the vet! I don't think I've ever had to leave her before. Even when she got spayed she came home the same night. I'm just trying not to think about her reaction to wearing a cone collar at night in her crate when she was spayed (she just stood up panting for a full 45 minutes before I finally broke and took it off her). They have to keep the IV fluids going to help get her temp down so there was no choice.

·
Super Moderator
2,717 Posts
Thank you. It's really terrible having to leave them at the vet! I don't think I've ever had to leave her before. Even when she got spayed she came home the same night. I'm just trying not to think about her reaction to wearing a cone collar at night in her crate when she was spayed (she just stood up panting for a full 45 minutes before I finally broke and took it off her). They have to keep the IV fluids going to help get her temp down so there was no choice.
I wonder what the vet would say if you asked to stay with her?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course! You live in a high risk area, so your vet may have seen all of this before and doesn’t want you to do the testing unless necessary, because if I recall, it can be quite expensive to test for tickborne diseases.
Yes, that's probably true. She did say sometimes it can be seen on microscope and she was going to take a look at a blood smear.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder what the vet would say if you asked to stay with her?
She wouldn't be surprised. Lol. But I don't think she'd let me do it for potential liability reasons. Prob would've said no if I offered to get an IV pump from work and run it at home.. but I might ask if something like this ever happens again.

The vet did say that every time someone approached her where she was lying with her IV in the surgery room, her little tail would go thump thump. She's such a good sweet girl.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts