Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday I was petting my Polly and found a lump underneath her neck. It seems to be under the skin and all I can really see is that its really red. She has had a papilloma on her neck in the past... I worry that this is something different because its underneath the skin... I am such a worrier that my baby has cancer...

Of course that means that I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow... ... I just wonder what your thought is on this?? Maybe you can help ease my mind a little bit before tomorrow..

·
Charlie's Mom
871 Posts
I don't know a whole lot, but when you said it was red, I would think of inflammation under the skin rather than something internal like a tumor. But of course, I'm not a vet. Wonder if it could be some sort of boil. I don't even know if dogs can get those or not. I'm glad you're taking Polly to the vet. Hopefully it's nothing a little minor treatment and some TLC can't fix. :)

Hugs,
Candace

·
Registered
12,394 Posts
It does sound like a bite of some kind - but good to have it checked. Hope all is well - let us know..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sending healing thoughts to Polly.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,609 Posts
Keeping Polly in my thoughts today. Hope the vet appointment shows it's nothing to be concerned about for you.

·
Dog Lover
42,034 Posts
PrettyPollys Mom

PrettyPollys mom

Praying everything is ok at the vet.
I think it will be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a vet appt for tomorrow morning at 11:15. Last night I was looking at it, squeezed it a little bit and liquid came out of it ( clear liquid like what would come out of a pimple). I don't think its anything serious, maybe just a bite or something that has pus around it.. but I don't want to pop it or anything myself.. so I'm taking her in anyway.

I'll give an update tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
12,394 Posts
I got a vet appt for tomorrow morning at 11:15. Last night I was looking at it, squeezed it a little bit and liquid came out of it ( clear liquid like what would come out of a pimple). I don't think its anything serious, maybe just a bite or something that has pus around it.. but I don't want to pop it or anything myself.. so I'm taking her in anyway.

I'll give an update tomorrow afternoon.
Sounds like a good plan. I agree with you - doesn't sound too bad - but good to check it out for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Glad you are having her checked out anyway. It does sound like she has gotten bit by something, and may be a bit infected. So good though, to have that peace of mind from the Vet. Plus, she may need an antibiotic. Please let us know the results from her Vet visit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The vet said that its a mass that she should have it removed, but my heart of hearts is telling me that thats not necessary. The vet didn't get a good look at it, because Polly was moving... I'm not sure if I want to put out 500 dollars for something that i thought was just an insect bite... what do you guys think?:curtain:

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Maybe a second opinion is needed. If my vet said to remove it without getting a really good look I would want to see what another vets had to say. Why or why not it should be removed and how long to wait to see if it gets better, worse or stays the same. Good luck...keep us updated.

·
Sasha, Honey & Toro's Mom
741 Posts
I have taken my dogs in to have lumps checked out and the vet usually if in doubt, does a needle biopsy and checks the cells. Most are usually just fatty tumors, but we are very careful because Honey had a mast cell tumor removed a few years. I would not have anything so small removed if they had not biopsied it or at least watched it for a few weeks to see whether or not it changed or went away. I agree with a second opinion.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Did he give it any type of name? Did he give a reason why it should be removed? Is it because you were able to squeeze something out of it?

Most lumps and bumps can wait until the dog is under anesthesia for something else - a spay, dental cleaning, etc. I would get a second opinion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts