Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Lump on ear???

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  memechrissie 
#1 ·
Hey guys :) As you may already know i have a one year old (yesterday) retriever called bailey.
well about a month ago i felt a small lump on the outside of his ear. I thought it was just a random spot but i felt it today and it seems to be getting bigger ? :S
It's pea sized now and is rock solid but doesnt seem to hurt him when i touch it. I was just wondering if any of you have any idea what it could be? I know i havent given you much to go on Xx

#2 ·
Probably a hematoma...... nothing serious but you should have your vet take a look. They can get them from shaking their heads, allergies, etc. When they break the little blood vessels in their ear flaps a hematoma ( bruise ) forms between the cartilage and because of the location many times the blood can't escape or be absorbed. Our Aussie had to have surgery where they go in and release the blood and then "quilt" their ear flap so it can't happen again. However, some small ones can be treated medically. I had never heard of it before our experience but found out they are quite common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.