Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum. I have a 3 year old girl named Barça, short for Barcelona. She is such an amazing dog. Last week, I noticed a lump on her wrist. We had an x-ray taken and the radiology report came back that it looks like swelling from previous trauma but there hasn't been previous trauma and it doesn't hurt her. So now the the surgeon (we have been to a holistic vet and her regular vet and they both want to do a biopsy) will be doing a biopsy on Sunday morning. I'm worried about the results because I have no idea what else it could be. If anyone has info or words of advice, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Attachments

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your girl is beautiful. Good luck on Sunday.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Soccerjazz

Soccerjazz

Perhaps she hurt herself and you weren't aware.
I will be praying for her and you.
Barca is a beauty!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hope it is nothing serious:crossfing, will be sending positive thoughts your way on Sunday.

On another note....."Hala Madrid";).... sorry, couldn't resist!!!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Praying for good news.

·
3 goldens
12,006 Posts
HELLO AND WELCOME TO YOU AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL GIRL. My girl Honey is pushing 11, if not 11 already. We adopted her back in '02 and she was fully grown and heart worm positive, but just don't know when her real birthday is.

Anyway, she has a number of lumps and I always have biopsy run and every time it has just been fatty growth, none were cancer. BUT she did have a mast cell tumor removed from her leg 3 years ago--it was not a lump, just a strang looking place. The thing is, NONE of her actual lumps have been cancer. She has 3 now that we watch very closely and get checked once or twice a year. My vet draws "stuff" from 3-4 areas of each lump to be onthe safe side.

Sending the best wishes and thouhts and paryers for you beautiful girl.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Barca

Praying for Barca today!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everyone's good wishes. The surgeon who did the biopsy was not very encouraging. She said that lumps like hers were usually malignant and that we should have the results by the end of the week. Very depressing news. Barca is still a bit woozy and doesn't understand why she had to go through all this today or why she is now limping because this morning she was feeling fine! Needless to say, it has been a tough day. Does anyone have any stories of cases of osteosarcomas that have been cured or at least gone into remission for a long period of time? Does it always necessitate amputation? She seems way too young to have to go through this.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I am so glad the xray looked clean to the radiologist. The feared ostosarcoma usually has a distinct sunburt pattern and weird moth-eaten appearance that they know right away with a sinking heart. It is great news they did not see anything like that!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Barca

Thanks for everyone's good wishes. The surgeon who did the biopsy was not very encouraging. She said that lumps like hers were usually malignant and that we should have the results by the end of the week. Very depressing news. Barca is still a bit woozy and doesn't understand why she had to go through all this today or why she is now limping because this morning she was feeling fine! Needless to say, it has been a tough day. Does anyone have any stories of cases of osteosarcomas that have been cured or at least gone into remission for a long period of time? Does it always necessitate amputation? She seems way too young to have to go through this.
I will be praying for Barca and you. I agree it is a good sign the radiologist didn't see anything. There are some members who's dogs had osteosarcoma and I hope they will comment.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I am so sorry you are having to go through this worry with such a young dog. My 9 year old Golden, Beau, had osteosarcoma but it was fairly apparent on the x-ray that there was mottling on the bone. He also had a bone scan that revealed an issue on the bone, as well so I see that as a good thing that there is nothing on your dog's x-ray. I am hoping for you that Barca just has an irritation due to trauma and that the biopsy is benign.

In my dog's case, surgery was not an option. Since your dog is so young, if it turns out to be osteosarcoma, amputation may be a feasible option. Not a great choice, I know, but one that may offer more time for you with your pup.
I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that this does not turn out to be cancer.
Best wishes to you!

Reactions: Karen519

·
3 goldens
12,006 Posts
It was 15 years ago today that I lost my Irish Setter, Boots to bone cancer in rear leg. He didn't have a lump, just a limp. Was in the knee joint. Our vet offered us amputation but since Boots was already past his 12th brithday and had arthritis, we let our sense over ride our hearts and forgo the surgery.

Had he been younger, no doubt, surgery, amputation of that leg. But at his age and already with arthritis in his shoulders it just didn't seem fair. His was such an agressive kind that my vet thought that within a week he would not be able to get around, not want to eat. But I had him for 10 more weeks to the day--took him ifhsing at the bay eery day, and gave him everything he loved to eat--all kinds of doggy no-no food.

As I said, I pray you sweet ones does not have cancerm, but if so, at such a young age and without apparenet spread, I would go amputation.

Reactions: Karen519
1 - 20 of 44 Posts