Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first Golden over 30 year ago. His name was Luke. At that time we lived in the UK.

Luke used to spend a fair amount of time lounging by the driveway gates watching the world go by. He had his own fan club which consisted of local children and pensioners who used to stop and make a fuss of him.

One particular chap who lived in the neighbourhood was an elderly Irish gentleman called Sid. Sid liked a drink and I think 90% of the time he was more than slightly under the influence. He had a small bad tempered Yorkshire terrier called Fang.

Sid stopped by the driveway gates one day with Fang in tow and spotted Luke, who sat placidly ignoring Fangs growls. I should mention that Sid had a habit of repeating himself.

"Big 'andsome dog that..big and 'andsome. This one'd ave im though. He'd ave im for sure. Latch onto 'is throat an not let go. 'eed 'ave 'im for sure. Killer he is. Killer."

Thats how the conversation went on. I thought it best to humour Sid and just generally nodded in agreement.

Luke stood up and approached the gates and in a very nonchalant manner raised his leg and pee'd all over Fangs back. He turned and trotted back up the driveway and if I did not know better I would swear that I heard him laugh..!

A very disgruntled Sid came out with some colourful language and promptly left. He never stopped by the gates again.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Great story! Luke sounds like my kind of guy.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is too funny and something a golden woudl do. LOL

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Your Luke wasn't subtle but he did get the point across:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
my first golden Jake did the same thing to a particularly yappy pekinease ,he made no eye contact just strolled over and peeded on the dog! it seemed to be the ultimate dog put down!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I love it!!!

I've got one along those lines.
My brother and sister-in-law have a beautiful sheltie - Quest.
The first time my last golden Ryder met Quest, we thought it best to let them get to know each other off leash in the back yard.

After a bit of sniffing, Ryder went over to one of our little shrubs and promptly "marked" his territory. Quest, not to be outdone, went over and peed over Ryder's pee.
Ryder, thinking this little guy wasn't going to get the best of him, proceeded to go around the shrub and pee on the other side.
Quest followed suit, trotted around and again peed over Ryder's pee.
Ryder must have decided at that point that enough was enough, he walked over and in the middle of this small bush, had the biggest dump we had ever seen.
Quest just walked away. This little guy knew he couldn't compete with that!

We didn't know if we would ever stop laughing!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Timberwolf thats a great story.

I can spend ages just watching Goldens and seeing what they get up to. They can be so funny. I'm sure they have a sense of humour.

A large overweight ginger cat has recently adopted us and he has a habit of following me when I take one of our goldens out for a walk. Anyway this cat is a total git of a tease. He approaches the dog and purrs all friendly and pally like and curls up at the dogs feet. As soon as the dog lowers his head for a sniff out come the cats claws accompanied by a lot of feline hissing.

Its happened several times now and eventually Buck, the Golden being walked at the time, must have had enough of it.

The last time the cat tried it on as quick as a flash up came Bucks paw which he promptly brought down on the cats head pinioning the sweet little dear to the floor. The cat, legs splayed in all directions, froze to the spot and did not move a muscle. Buck looked down at him and if he could speak I think it would have gone something like............

"OK Puss...Cut the crap..!"

After a few seconds he released the cat who sauntered of with his pride shattered. I'm waiting to see what happens on the next walk.

( The cat by the way was completely unharmed. )

·
3 goldens
11,952 Posts
Whgat funny stories. I agree....mnost goldens seem to have a sense of humor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I believe this story is a perfect example of the phrase, "it is better to be pissed off than pissed on" LOL How funny!

Our Riker, who we lost in February, was very cool when it came to protesting. For a long time, we had a frisbee and we tried to throw and have him catch it like the australian sheepdogs. No matter how many times we did it....No luck. Finally, one day I was in the yard with the kids and made a big deal about trying to catch it.

I threw the frisbee at a perfect height and Riker jumped up as high as he could. He extended himself fully and did a 180 degree turn in the air and caught it. Just like one of those dogs on animal planet or ESPN. It was a perfect 10! I wish I had a video camera taping it. I can still see it in my mind in slow motion just like the six million dollar man.

He pranced over with his head and tail high and spit that frisbee at my feet. I believe he made the statement. "I can do it, I just don't want to do it" without saying a word and walked away from me. He ignored that frisbee for 10 more years.....LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I can relate a further story which did not involve me personally, but was told of the incident by a Golden owner.

Again this was back in the UK and about 30 years ago. I called at a Land Rover parts supplier on the edge of Dartmoor and had Luke with me. He was about 6 months old at the time. I left Luke in the car while I collected some parts from the supplier. When I came out a Land Rover pulled up and I noticed a beautiful male Golden in the back of it. Of course I struck up a conversation with the owner.

He told me that he would not let his dog out of the car because he would have my puppy. He meant sexually. His dog, I'll call him Stud, was apparently sex mad and would mount just about anything.

Studs owner was a farmer on dartmoor who seemed to be a very dry character and did not crack his face or even smile when he told me the following................

He was out shooting on the moor with Stud and brought down a pigeon which fell into a neigbouring field. Stud it seems was a good retriever and hopped over the fence to get the bird. The owner approached the fence and spotted Stud who had come face to face with a large horned goat.

Well apparently no violence ensued initially but rather the goat and Stud quietly paced around eyeing each other up. It seems all was well until Stud shot round the rear end of the goat and proceeded to mount him.

Quite understandably the goat got pretty pissed at this and took off at a gallop across the field, wait for it, with a Golden hanging on for grim death...!

It seems that Stud hung on for a fair while but must have decided that he was pushing his luck and released his grip and hopped back over the fence.

I laughed so much at the thought of this randy Golden strapped across a goat and being dragged around a field that I had tears running down my face, but then the farmers comment finished me off.....

I remember he gave me a serious concerned look and said...

"Were'nt funny mate. My dog could have been hurt."

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Well, like Judge Roy Bean used to say....."%iss on it".

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I remember he gave me a serious concerned look and said...

"Were'nt funny mate. My dog could have been hurt."
OMG!!
I don't know how you could have stood it.
I would have lost it. I think I'd still be laughing :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts