Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randy asked me to post these pictures, I will let him add more. They are very cute....

Attachments

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randy, you need to post a little story about these two, they look like such good friends.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
They are so cute. What is their story?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
what adorable photos! I, too, await the story!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry folks, somehow I missed this thread. Luke (or Gunner) is looking for a new home.

I got the call back about the time that Teddy (the black) was born. The golden was in a kennel and had been there with his sister for a lengthy period of time. The story on Gunner is that he was originally purchased as a pup and went to a family. The pup was taken to a trainer for field training and left. The owners never picked him up (abandoned). Meanwhile a sister is also there (and still is). Of course times are tough and the kennel owner is tired of feeding two dogs that are not brining in income and put the word out they need a new home. Both dogs are full siblings to my Daisy (however not litter mates). Daisy is one of the sweetest and most patient dogs in the world. I believe I did a post on her some time ago. Therefore I really dont like the fact that one of these kids is in the graybar motel. I started looking around for a new home.

Shannon's daughter (my stepdaughter) Christine wanted a dog but preferred a pup. We told her that an older golden might be the better idea. After some trials and tribulations Chrissy met with the kennel-man and looked over the two dogs.

Chrissy tells us these dogs were WILD. They tore out of there and ignored every command shouted out by kennel-man. While these dogs were racing around, Gunner seemed the best for her. She called us on the spot and asked our opinion. Though they were wild we told her to ask if she could "test drive" the dog, returning him if it didnt work out. Kennel-man agreed and Chrissy whisked him away and then immediately to the vet.

Gunner had an ear infection and a foxtail in a toe that needed removed. These were done and Chrissy asked about neutering the dog. The vet exclaimed, "why neuter such a gorgeous dog?" Wow how often do you hear that from a vet. At the moment Gunner is still intact. My recommendation is to cut him (no papers, no titles).

She then took him to Petco or some such place and bought an extra large kennel, toys and a lambskin rug. While there, they bathed him and gave him a haircut.

They then went to her apartment where he quickly earned the name of Lucifer (Luke for short). Chrissy has since started calling him Luke. I then offered to take the dog in at our house for some training and adjustment to family life.

Gunner (or Luke) came to our house shortly after Christmas. Here he met 8 week old Teddy. He also met Daisy and a very expectant Amber. Daisy and Amber wanted nothing to do with him (or Teddy for that matter). Teddy and he were the social outcasts and then formed an un-holy alliance. They have been bestest buds ever since. He now is under my arm wanting attention.

It's quite clear that this is a very nice dog, gentle and sweet. It's also quite clear that he has not had much training (no matter what the kennel man said). It's also quite clear that he needs a family home, with a yard, and probably another dog to play with. With all that in mind.... Gunner is looking for another home. He is just not suited to Chrissy's apartment. We are in process of convincing Chrissy of this.

I have made progress with the dog (under my arm again wanting attention). We are now getting sits (sometimes with bait) and we are getting some heres. He likes to retrieve and does bring it back, but not reliably.

He is approximately four years old and appears to be in excellent health and physical condition. Might be a little thin, but not terribly so. Daisy is a full sib and I know her health history. Daisy has a thyroid issue but Gunner shows no (zero) clinical signs. Daisys hips are penn-hipped at 50% but I dont know about Mr. Gunner.

Again, he is looking for a new home. Chrissy would only like re-imbursed for her expenses and the new stuff goes with him. She just graduated college and still has bills, otherwise I would advise her to "eat" the expenses.

I will be "showing" him tomarrow at a local Dog training facility. The owners are golden lovers and they help in placing goldens. So wish us luck!

In the meantime, Chrissy sez there is no way he is going back to Kennel-Man. He is safe here.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aw, I am so glad he got out of Kennel Man's facility. I hope his sister can get out too. He is very cute! When are you going to our local training facility tomorrow?

Here is another picture of Luke/Gunner....

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Aw, I am so glad he got out of Kennel Man's facility. I hope his sister can get out too. He is very cute! When are you going to our local training facility tomorrow?

Here is another picture of Luke/Gunner....
I dont know.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been cautious to not use Kennel-mans name... He was indeed kind enough to not have either dog put down. He was kind enough to wait for a good home.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Randy, here's a thought, would Daisy's breeder take them back? I know if it were one (or two or...) of my puppies that were abandoned, I would take them back in a heartbeat. If they won't, have you or kennel man heard of the Golden Bond Rescue? They do wonderful work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The breeder passed away last year. He was blind the last few years and the last few joys were holding puppies in his lap. He wanted another litter solely for that reason but was talked out of it. He would sit for lengthy periods of time with those litters and loved them so.

Make no mistake, I have done as much as I can think of personally, including bringing him in at a time when I should not (litter whelping). Likey, Chrissy will be taking him back to her place next weekend and we will continue the search with him based there.

Right now both Teddy and gunner are playing on their carpet in front of the fireplace.

And... as I type, news is coming in that may change everything.... Chrissy may be changing jobs which would allow her to move and keep the Gunner. It's all fluid now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts