Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this here versus the puppy section because I dont know if it is age related or I am creating the problem. Let me start by saying How absolutely fortunate I am to have such a loyal and smart puppy. Blessed.

For eight mos. excellant recall on beach in off leash situations. Potty training not as issue for us at all. How do I differentiate Joy's attachment to me with out creating seperation anxiety. No matter where I go she comes and sits/lays by my feet. Not that this is undesireable but even to the bathroom if I leave the door open (sorry TMI) she is at my feet. Am I not being Alpha enough? I do treat her heavily in working situations with out trying to be a treat vending machine. Comfort guidance and advice is always appreciated.

Attachments

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Sounds like a normal Golden (or any dog) to me! It is only a problem if you cannot leave her alone without her howling, screaming, freaking out, etc.

·
18,122 Posts
BTW all five of my dogs follow me into the bathroom, and take turns nosing at the shower curtain and so forth when I shower. If one isn't in the room with me, it's generally because she/he has a really good toy or chew item and has found a secluded spot to chew it in peace (since I have so many).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a normal Golden (or any dog) to me! It is only a problem if you cannot leave her alone without her howling, screaming, freaking out, etc.
Thanks for this. No problem there unless she can see me say in the next room and cant get past the gate. Then she might bark. Also If I leave her in the pool area alone she would prefer company to occupying her self. Thats what worries me.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
She's a puppy, of course she wants to be with you rather than alone! If she didn't, I'd wonder.

My boys are 6 and 10 and still prefer me to being alone with each other and I am glad!
Otherwise they'd be their own pack!

They are fine when I leave for a few hours. They sleep or play with each other I assume. But they never cry, howl, freak out. Even Gunner who has anxiety issues.

I don't believe in that Alpha stuff, especially with goldens. It is nothing compared to good positive reinforcement. My goldens live to please me.

Relax and love your pup.

·
18,122 Posts
Thanks for this. No problem there unless she can see me say in the next room and cant get past the gate. Then she might bark. Also If I leave her in the pool area alone she would prefer company to occupying her self. Thats what worries me.
Nope, she's normal! Mine would all do that too. When I leave them in the holding area of the dog park to run to my car (20 feet away) to get my phone or something, they STARE and Spirit and Holiday cry/whine. Then they greet me like they haven't seen me in years. Brooklyn has only been here about four weeks (I think four weeks this coming Monday) and she started that within a week. However, NONE of them are a problem crated or left alone if I need to go out :)

None of my dogs will go outside without me either, except for a quick potty. Then they're back at the French doors, leaving nose prints and whining to come in ;)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Totally 100% normal, imo. Flora follows me EVERYWHERE and will plunk herself down on top of my feet wherever I'm sitting. She'll follow me into the bathroom as well. As ACC said, so long as you can leave her alone without her totally losing it, you just have a normal golden on your hands. :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Normal....working diligently on her 'stays' (on leash and short distances at first then longer distances and duration with distractions later) will help boost her confidence and give you opportunities to work on her being separated from you.

If getting her Canine Good Citizen or a Therapy Dog test is in her future...part of the test is a 3 minute supervised separation.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Totally off topic, but my DH went to boot camp in Cape May.
Ah so your coasties? My brother just retired after 23 years and now instructs in Georgia at FLETC.

"If getting her Canine Good Citizen or a Therapy Dog test is in her future...part of the test is a 3 minute supervised separation. "

I remember watching the older kids do this at our puppy classes. Now I understand why it looked like a challenge.

·
18,122 Posts
Yup, he's been in for 16.5 years! He has been stationed in Cleveland, OH; Boston, MA; Detroit, MI; and now here, St Petersburg, Florida. He's an SK.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Enjoy your velcro dog....and your right she is not old enough for beer!! But she sure looks cute using the computer.

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
My Hudson is also very loyal. I love it. He follows me everywhere I go. He is my little shadow. :) My husband tells me that when I leave he whines a little bit until he is distracted by something else. I agree with everyone else that your pup sounds totally normal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts