Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The forcasted weather for my area is going to be pretty chilly the next few nights. Oh my, I am not ready for this.

I must buy a down comforter and get ready for it I guess! This will be my 3rd down comforter in the past 6 years....I want one to last but don't want to pay too much. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i answered once, but did not show up, cuddledown is the best, take a trip to freeport, they use to have special prices, only in store , not on line, been a long time since i was there, but you could call them, tell them you want the ones that use to be upstairs, with special prices, they last a long time.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
We've had lows in the 40s lately and I LOVE IT. I open up all the windows and go to sleep in long underwear, pants, a sweatshirt and socks (I have no comforter on my bed, only a top sheet). A couple of nights ago my place dropped down to 55 degrees and it was like camping. I guess it got a wee bit too cold b/c halfway through the night I found a furry body huddled up against me. ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We've had lows in the 40s lately and I LOVE IT. I open up all the windows and go to sleep in long underwear, pants, a sweatshirt and socks (I have no comforter on my bed, only a top sheet). A couple of nights ago my place dropped down to 55 degrees and it was like camping. I guess it got a wee bit too cold b/c halfway through the night I found a furry body huddled up against me. ;)
Cute! it's like having your own heating blanket!

It's defiantly apple pie weather... and I'm making one as we speak!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Cute! it's like having your own heating blanket!

It's defiantly apple pie weather... and I'm making one as we speak!
Lol, I've been making batches upon batches of hot chocolate at night. For some reason cold weather inspires the baker in me. If I had a more functional kitchen I'd be baking cookies and bread non-stop!

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
I'm not sure what the 30sF are in Celcius... but we were down in single Celcius digits on the weekend. First I broke out the socks (painful), and then worse... gloves!!! Argh!!!

Thankfully, it has been sunny and in the upper teens since. Nice fall days.

·
5,053 Posts
Freeze warning tonight! Honey and I love the cool weather (no mosquitos) and we are anxiously awaiting snow. It's so much fun to play with her in the snow and there's no mud. For now, we'll enjoy the gorgeous fall days coming our way. My Hubby thinks I'm nuts :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Our mornings have been starting out in the mid 50's, but by afternoon we always have a 30 degree jump and it is up to mid 80's.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
OK, this is what I cooked today to get rid of the canned pumpkin we used for Toby's ah digestive needs...

Pumpkin Crisp

Preheat oven to 350

Pumpkin Filling:
1 large can of pumpkin (28 oz)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ginger
4 eggs (I used the Eggbeaters)
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
vanilla extract optional (but I used it and it was GREAT--just poured some in without measuring)

Mix together and pour into a 13x9 greased pan.

Crisp Crust
2 cups oats
1 cup flour (you can use wheat or white or a combo)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter ( I used 8 tbsps of Smart Balance--the kind you can bake with)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon

Get your hands clean and just mix it all together, or, if you don't want to get your hands all messy and tasty, do the fork and knife cutting in the ingredients into the butter.

Crumble crust on top of the filling.

Bake for an hour, until filling comes out clean with a knife.

Cool--but we didn't, we just dug in, and put some canned evaporated skim milk on top (to simulate melted ice cream, which we didn't have in the freezer).

It was very very good!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 3 and love them all from L.L. Beans. They are the best. Was out in the camper last Sunday night and was totally hot. To the disbelief of many I know, I was overheated and had to remove the covers. Must be the hormones kicking in. LOL..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This sounds yummy! Im going to try it! Thanks for the recipe!

OK, this is what I cooked today to get rid of the canned pumpkin we used for Toby's ah digestive needs...

Pumpkin Crisp

Preheat oven to 350

Pumpkin Filling:
1 large can of pumpkin (28 oz)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp ginger
4 eggs (I used the Eggbeaters)
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
vanilla extract optional (but I used it and it was GREAT--just poured some in without measuring)

Mix together and pour into a 13x9 greased pan.

Crisp Crust
2 cups oats
1 cup flour (you can use wheat or white or a combo)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter ( I used 8 tbsps of Smart Balance--the kind you can bake with)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon

Get your hands clean and just mix it all together, or, if you don't want to get your hands all messy and tasty, do the fork and knife cutting in the ingredients into the butter.

Crumble crust on top of the filling.

Bake for an hour, until filling comes out clean with a knife.

Cool--but we didn't, we just dug in, and put some canned evaporated skim milk on top (to simulate melted ice cream, which we didn't have in the freezer).

It was very very good!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts