Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does this mean?

Her protein is only 2. The vet said she would strongly suspect cancer because everything else doesn't point to any other disease. We go tomorrow for a biopsy of the mammary tumors, but I won't know anything for several days, then. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When my previous dogs were diagnosed with cancer, they usually went by white blood cells. Don't remember any protein readings. Sorry you have to go through this.

·
16,000 Posts
TP (total protein) is part of the liver function panel and is usually 5.2 -7.8.

An increase usually indicates certain cancers such as blood, or bone marrow, or dehydration. A decrease would suggest liver or kidney diesease, Addisons, digestive problems such as malabsorption, or burns or bleeding.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Poor Ivy.... good thoughts coming her (and your) way.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Were there other labs that were off? Low protein can be a lot of things, Cancer being only one of them.
She sure has had a rough go of it.

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good info. Her kidney and liver seems perfect (I asked). I'll get a copy of it when I go today.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I don't have much to offer except good wishes, and that sometimes you find low protein in IBD. They check my Toby's all the time because of his IBD. And FWIW, he's NEVER had digestive symptoms with the IBD so it is possible to have it without any diarrhea and/or vomiting.

·
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting! She has no IBD symptoms either. Normal stool, never vomits, no gas or anything. She has lost a ton of weight while at the other home, too. The vet said it is possible that could be the issue.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I don't know much about protein levels. Just wanted to pass along some good thoughts for Ivy. Hopefully it will turn out to be something minor and manageable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts