Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, we recently adopted a Golden and in a week we already have the garden full of hair. Does any of you know what can we do to reduce her hair loss? We comb her fur every day once a day. The veterinarian told us she is very healthy. How can we clean the hair accumulated already on the lawn? I would really appreciate your advice! Thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Lol! I have more hair that you'd imagine on my lawn- but every year, I am repaid for leaving it by seeing the most beautiful nests you could ever imagine, constructed from dog hair. Several different species seem to love it, the prettiest one ever ever was by a phoebe and made of mud and Golden hair- it was absolutely a piece of art...
other than that, just leaving it for the birds to love using, I'd guess the mower will chop most of it up.. or keep a grocery bag handy for when you clean out your brush and just throw it away. She's probably blowing coat- it won't keep up that rate of loss forever, just for a few weeks.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Buy a rake and use it regularly. We have 3 goldens and when they blow their coats it's enough to make a sweater or two. I brush and rake them about every 2-3 days during this time.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Let me clarify.....I mean to use a rake for the dogs. Of course you can use one for your lawn too I suppose. Look online and you can find rakes for dogs

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,894 Posts
Lol! I have more hair that you'd imagine on my lawn- but every year, I am repaid for leaving it by seeing the most beautiful nests you could ever imagine, constructed from dog hair. Several different species seem to love it, the prettiest one ever ever was by a phoebe and made of mud and Golden hair- it was absolutely a piece of art...
other than that, just leaving it for the birds to love using, I'd guess the mower will chop most of it up.. or keep a grocery bag handy for when you clean out your brush and just throw it away. She's probably blowing coat- it won't keep up that rate of loss forever, just for a few weeks.
You're right, I've seen some amazing nests, the birds LOVE golden hair.
I always leave mine out for the birds too.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Adopted Golden

Hi there, we recently adopted a Golden and in a week we already have the garden full of hair. Does any of you know what can we do to reduce her hair loss? We comb her fur every day once a day. The veterinarian told us she is very healthy. How can we clean the hair accumulated already on the lawn? I would really appreciate your advice! Thank you very much!!!
Thank you for adopting! How old is your girl. We would love pictures.
We have Golden hair on the lawn, in the house. We also have a Samoyed, who really sheds!

·
Registered
41 Posts
When we brushed Ivy out for the first time after bringing her home, we got a grocery bag and a half off of her, and that was after she had some light brushing on the beach with a borrowed soft mitten brush, which also yielded a fair amount of hair. To top it off, she had a pretty bad hair cut with all of her feathering (is that the right term) cut very short. I didn't know anything about them blowing their coats, and was sure she had never been brushed in her entire life!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts