Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I write this with a very broken heart as we had to put our Jakey boy down yesterday morning. He had several old age and golden issues, such as losing
most of his sight, some of his hearing, spinal arthritis, and many various lumps and bumps all over it seemed, but he had a strong heart. He even made a cross country trip with my husband and I this past Christmas and was able to see our family. Saturday morning he seemed a little more confused and was concerned. As the day went on he started to limp and lift his left back leg. I thought maybe he had hurt it on one of his many falls even on carpet with his arthritis. By Sunday morning, my husband was carrying him to go outside, and we were bringing his food to him. His front paw also started curling. We cried all day and put a call into our vet who is also a family friend. He called me back right away and said to bring him in the next morning. At 14 1/2 we knew this time was coming soon, and that the past couple years were bonus for us. So with heavy, and I mean heavy heart we made the decision to say goodbye and not let him suffer. It is not fair to Jake, it's just not the humane thing to do. I knew by the way he looked at us with those sad eyes, like what is happening. The vet said we made the right decision, but it's still so hard. He said that it looked like he probably had a stroke. I know he is at that Rainbow Bridge romping and playing with our Jesse boy and is not suffering anymore.

·
Mom to Kaia
33 Posts
I am so, so sorry for your loss. It's so heartbreaking. I know what those sad eyes look like - they go right through you. We lost our first golden this fall and like you, we just couldn't stand to watch her in pain. I think it's the last gift we can give them and they count on us for it. 14 and a half years is a wonderful long, life and you definitely did the right thing by not letting your Jake suffer. His pain has ended and he is feeling healthy and well again - playing at the Bridge.

·
Premium Member
18,415 Posts
The kindest, and most loving thing we ever do for our dogs is to break our own hearts and let them go when the time comes. I am so sorry he had to leave, big hugs to you and your family.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss, it is the hardest decision we must make but the right one. Like you said, Jake is at the Bridge with no pain and suffering waiting on the one's that cared for him and loved him.

Mike

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Jake. I definitely know he is playing at the bridge with all of his new found friends pain free.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
It sure is heartbreaking when we have to make the decision to do what is best for them even thouhg our hearts scream No.

It was best for Jake -really, but I know how hard it was for you.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
News as this always saddens me very much.......RIP Jakey. You were loved and loved for a very long Golden life. Say Hi to all of our loved ones at the Bridge.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I am so so sorry. Run free sweet boy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So, so sorry for your loss of Jake. I know how it hurts, and the emptiness that goes with that. But these terribly hard decisions are made only with love for our "babies". It sounds like Jake had a wonderful, loving, fun life with a mom and dad that loved and adored him. We all share your pain, and know that Jake is at the Bridge with all of our boys and girls! Hugs to you both!

·
Mardovar Goldens
113 Posts
So sorry for the loss of your Jake. He'll always be in your heart. Sending some furry hugs to you and your family.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm very sorry for the loss of your guy, Jake. Jake is now running like he did in his youth with my Di, Golda and all of the kids of the golden retriever forum. My all the love you shared and your memories sooth your aching heart. RIP sweet Jake.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. Sorry for decision you had to make and pain you feel. Sadly enough, no matter how old they are, it is always too short.
Rest in peace sweet Jake.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I know for us it was one of the most difficult decisions we had to make, but it was for the best for your beloved dog. Your family is in my thoughts

·
old but new
711 Posts
I'm truly soooo very sorry for your loss. Reading this gave me chill's, and broke my heart.
I believe our pet's tell us with their eyes and soul that it's time...and it sounds like Jake did just that. It sure doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye though. =( RIP Jake!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Believe me, I know what your pain feels like. Run free Jake. Run as fast as you can and be happy.

Pat

1 - 20 of 38 Posts