Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My DH and I have been owned by goldens for the past 25 years. Unexpectedly, we lost our Maddie girl during our Christmas celebration. She was 9 years old, and a hemangiosarcoma tumor ruptured her spleen.

We are heartbroken, but glad our entire family was there during her last moments.

This is our third golden lost to hemangiosarcoma. Sad.

However, we can't imagine our lives without goldens. Sigh. So, we are looking for a breeder. We are in Santa Rosa, CA...Northern California. We are willing to travel, for the right pup.

The most important things to us in a pup are health and temperament. We would do obedience with the puppy, and my son would take it hunting. During the day, the puppy would be my elderly mother's companion.

I would appreciate your breeder recommendations.

Ann

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I'm so sorry that you lost your sweet Maddie so young. That's no way to enjoy Christmas, is it? Perhaps you can start a Rainbow Bridge thread about her and share your memories. You'll find a lot of understanding and support here.

Others here will doubtless suggest breeders near you.

Wishing you peace and happiness in the New Year,
Lucy

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Welcome

I am so very, very, sorry, for the loss of your Golden Girl, Maddie!

I lost my Golden Ret. Smooch, Dec. 7, 2010, to hemangiosarcoma.

I Know there are Golden Ret. Rescues in California.

National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

I'm sure someone will chime in very soon with some breeder recommendations.

Reactions: khrios

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Hope you find a pup. There are many West Coasters here. I lost my first 2 goldens to hemangio... it can be very sudden...

Reactions: khrios

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sudden shock of it all was the worst part. We had had a wonderful family day. Santa did spoil her with a nice woobie, a bone, and a new collar. She was happy, running around, and then it became a nightmare. All of us thought we would wake up, any minute!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I completely understand the sudden shock. Our Casey was fine in the morning, and gone that evening, likely from a hemangiosarcoma tumor rupture as well.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Run free at the bridge Maddie.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
There are a lot of wonderful breeders in California. People I know with litters planned in the next few months in your general area are Regency Goldens (Laura Franchi) who is in Gilroy, Ridgeview Goldens (Melissa and Les Simpson) in Bakersfield, Scotts 24k Goldens (Joanne Scott) in Exeter and Quailwood Goldens (Marjorie Blake) in Bakersfield. If you're willing to drive a little farther there are a number of Southern California breeders planning litters as well. Feel free to PM me on here if you have any specific questions and I'll answer them as best I can. If I don't have the answer I can give you contact information for someone who can help!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
goldenjackpuppy,

I don't mind driving down to So. Cal. Please let me know which breeders you recommend all over California.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Well, as I said, I'd definitely recommend Regency Goldens (Laura Franchi) who is in Gilroy, Ridgeview Goldens (Melissa and Les Simpson) in Bakersfield, Scotts 24k Goldens (Joanne Scott) in Exeter and Quailwood Goldens (Marjorie Blake) in Bakersfield. I know all 4 of them have litters planned soon. I've had personal experience with Scotts 24k and Ridgeview and they are both great. Ridgeview's upcoming litter is sired by a boy I love too...I think puppies are due in about a month.

Farther south, I believe Woodland Goldens (Sharon Shilkoff) in Woodland Hills has a litter due soon. Premiere Goldens (Christine Texter) in Redlands is also wonderful and last I talked to her I think had one puppy left from her current litter. I will keep my ears open for other breedings, but you have a great list to start from.

·
Banned
616 Posts
The sire of my boy is from Aubridge Goldens in sacramento, CA which is a couple hours from Santa Rosa, HOME . Robin is very ethical and careful. I know she has a litter to be bred in March, which I am considering myself; will be a terrific breeding.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. There are a lot of good breeders out there. That gives me hope for the breed. I am on to completing puppy questionnaires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts