Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I lost my sweet boy, Buddy. I'm lucky I guess, he made it to 14 1/2 with me, but it doesn't make it any easier. Until last week, he was a young 14, no one could believe his age. But he had a regrowth of a brain meningioma for which we had surgery 4 1/2 years ago, and it all happened so quickly. He has, honestly, been the greatest gift of my life. For the past few years, he has been my only dog, and we lived together alone. Since he was a puppy, he has been the center of my universe and I don't know how to do anything without him. I lost both my parents, went through painful relationships, life, he was my rock through it all. It's so quiet here without him. Please say a prayer for him, I hope he's okay, and that one day I get to see him again...

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss Amy. Your story reminds me so much of my Happy that passed
Away 4 months ago. I too had some troubles, taking care of a very sick Father for 5 years (alone), succeeding with a huge, horrifying 7 year sibling legal issue. I am sure that Buddy kept your mind focused, showed you another way of thinking and you were both fortunate to have found each other. I believe that all of that positive energy, love and spirit will guide you through the rest of life. Walt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your kind, thoughtful words. I will try to focus on that, and all he gave me. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Happy.
:( I hope you are feeling a little better now that some time has passed. I lost another Golden, Darby, about 3 1/2 years ago. Buddy's non-biological sister, we both had a rough time then, but we got through. Just hard having them all gone now, and he was my special boy. Thank you. I'm so glad this forum exists, a place where we all get it...

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious Buddy. If you would like his name added to the Rainbow Bridge List please let me know the date of his passing and I'll add him. Once again so very sorry for your loss.

·
3 goldens
11,814 Posts
I am so sorry. He was such a beautiful boy. They become family and we are crushed when we lose them. We lost our Great Pyrenees to liver disease on Dec. 5. He was 11 1/2 and lived 1 1/2 years longer than he was suppose after diagnosis, and we are so thankful for that.

Reactions: amyb

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,197 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss of Buddy, he had a long good life with you but I know it's never long enough.

Godspeed Buddy

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So sorry for your loss. My Rennie went to the bridge just a month ago today after almost 14 years with us. So many things sadly remind me of him. Nothing and no one can ever replace Buddy or Rennie. But I’ve found the activity of looking for a new puppy to be constructive and helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all so much. You have helped me make it through this first day. I'm hoping tomorrow is a little bit easier...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thank you so much for your kind, thoughtful words. I will try to focus on that, and all he gave me. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Happy.
:( I hope you are feeling a little better now that some time has passed. I lost another Golden, Darby, about 3 1/2 years ago. Buddy's non-biological sister, we both had a rough time then, but we got through. Just hard having them all gone now, and he was my special boy. Thank you. I'm so glad this forum exists, a place where we all get it...

Amy thank you for you condolences regarding Happy. I am somewhat better now. After she passed I just let myself mourn. I guessed it would be about two months, for that is roughly what I went through with my father. Probably what was different was a feeling of hopelessness, not being able to take care of my baby. Symptoms would be; not getting excited about things, no plans for the future, and little motivation, however i still took on my responsibilities at work. But I am still here, Happy would want me the best form me, and I knew it is better for my health, my life to find a Golden within 6 months. I am expecting a puppy soon but waited to announce anything until I posted Happy’s tribute here out of respect for her. I believe it is right, however the emotions are still mixed, and the circumstances are totally different. But if I followed Happy’s way, it would be, “don’t worry about it”
You are definitely right about this forum. We have something in common, yet our own stories.
Walt

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I am sorry for the loss of your companion Buddy. Give yourself time and patience to mourn this loss but please know it will not always hurt this badly.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Buddy. I know that you will see him again. And in the in between time he will always, always, always be in your heart. Prayers for Buddy and you. You must have done something awfully right to have him live that long.
Janet <3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you so much, I hope I did. At 9 years old, he was first diagnosed with a frontal lobe meningioma (benign). I chose surgery for him, which was very successful and he got through it like a champ. I had 4 1/2 more wonderful years with him. Unfortunately, he had a regrowth which showed itself recently. I brought him back to the same neurologist vet, they said they had never seen a dog last that long after the surgery, the most they had seen was 2 years. He was a miracle. And I truly believe he knew I how much I needed him during those years, and stayed strong for me. I only recently, in the couple months, felt like things were truly better and said to him, you know what Bud, I think we are going to be okay, we're going to be okay, we are getting our lives together (actually it was only me, of course he's always had his sh&t together), things are better now. Then a short time later he was gone... He was a miracle in my life, he truly was. I'm so grateful for this forum, the validation is my saving grace, because I really don't know how to live without him. He was all I had and I am struggling. Thank you.

·
Bridgette & Gentry's Mom
228 Posts
Last night I lost my sweet boy, Buddy. I'm lucky I guess, he made it to 14 1/2 with me, but it doesn't make it any easier. Until last week, he was a young 14, no one could believe his age. But he had a regrowth of a brain meningioma for which we had surgery 4 1/2 years ago, and it all happened so quickly. He has, honestly, been the greatest gift of my life. For the past few years, he has been my only dog, and we lived together alone. Since he was a puppy, he has been the center of my universe and I don't know how to do anything without him. I lost both my parents, went through painful relationships, life, he was my rock through it all. It's so quiet here without him. Please say a prayer for him, I hope he's okay, and that one day I get to see him again...
my heart breaks for you. We know to well the pain of losing our companion/s. It’s just never long enough. It sounds like he was good up until the end which can be a blessing. They are so much a part of us and when they leave they take a piece of our hearts with them. Which I believe tie us together so we can be together again. Hugs to you during this sad time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Your wonderful Golden Buddy may be gone, but all the love and great memories he shared with you will be with you forever. No one can ever take that from you. I hope time helps you feel better soon and when your heart opens up may you be blessed with another Golden.

Godspeed to Buddy.

dlm ny country

“Dogs … are constant reminders that life reveals the best of itself when we live fully in the moment and extend our unconditional love. And it is very true, that the most tender, uncomplicated, most generous part of our being blossoms, without any effort, when it comes to the love of a dog.” —Maira Kalman

·
I Love Therapy Dogs
50 Posts
I am so sorry. Golden retrievers could be with us for 1000 years and it would never be long enough. I can feel your love for Buddy in the words you wrote. He must have been a very lucky dog to have you in his life!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts