Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My first time on this forum...wish I had found it earlier. We put our Golden down today....was 15 in October. "RIO"....named after the "Duran Duran" song from the 80's. Reading some of the stuff from here I wish I had seen this earlier. One week ago Rio was fine! He started acting sluggish about Wed. and we ordered more arthritis meds, thinking it would turn him around like last time. Nothing doing! I even had to have the vet come and lift him out of the car when we arrived b/c he could not walk. They ran tests...eaten up with Cancer, as so many Goldens seem to have. We never knew! One month ago he was chasing joggers down the street and being his usual ornery self.... they offered to keep him and start IV treatments to see if he would respond the that possibly he could fight it, survive and get stronger and start treatment....I think they were just throwing me a bone (no pun intended). I refused and had him put down. I am feeling so guilty! I guess part of me just wanted to get it over with so my kids didn't have to go through this over Christmas. In my mind I know I would have just been postponing the inevitable. The vet, who knows him very well, commented that he was one of the oldest Goldens he has every had to put down. anyway...just I was able to hold myself together OK for my kids this evening, just needed to get this out somehow

god bless! Wendy

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your boy, Rio. I think you did the kindest thing for him; making sure he wasn't in any pain by sending him to the bridge. Please share stories of him when you are ready.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Wendy. I'm glad that you found us, though so sorry for the occasion. Your RIO was a very lucky dog to have someone who loved him enough to put his well being ahead of her own pain.

I hope you can find some comfort in this piece by American playwright Eugene O'Neill, written for his wife when their beloved dog died: The Last Will and Testament of Silverdene Emblem O'Neill. A favorite passage reads like this: "I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain. Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me....

"One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: 'Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved.' No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail."

Peace be with you,
Lucy

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Wendy, so sorry for your loss of Rio. You'll find many here that will help you through this. I understand the guilty feelings, but you decided not to prolong it for his sake. It's ok.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I am so sorry you had to find us this way. You did the right thing, for all of you. I hope you decide to stick around for awhile. There are some great, understanding people here. Please take care.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Lucy, wow. So very true. Thank you!

Reactions: GoldensGirl

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Wendy I am so sorry about your loss of Rio. There are so many people here who understand your loss. I hope you find comfort with us here.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. No matter how old they are it is never long enough. But the most important thing is he was loved and he loved you back.
Rest in peace sweet Rio.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss of Rio....RIP RIO

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
Wendy,

I'm so sorry about Rio (I loved Duran Duran!). And I'm so sorry you found us under these circumstances - but I hope you'll stay around. Tell us about Rio when you're ready - post some pictures. We'd love to hear the story of his life with you.

We know so acutely the pain you're going through right now. Don't hesitate if you need an ear (or a couple hundred)...

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am so sorry that Rio had to leave you. But he knows he was loved by you all and he loved you all back.

I lost my girl to cancer, it will be a year on the 5th January. I am dreading this anniversary.

The members on here helped me so much while Lucy was sick and also gave me loads of support after she was gone.

My heart breaks for you I know your pain.

Hugs

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Rio. They always say it is better a day too soon then a day too late. Don't beat yourself up over the choice you made. You knew him best and your heart was looking out for him. He is now healthy again...at the bridge. Thoughts will be with you as you grieve for Rio!! RIP Rio!! I also loved Duran Duran.;)

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Rio. I hope this forum helps you through these hard times and through any future goldens that may come into your life.

Welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry it's on such a sad note. My condolences again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Wendy, your more then welcome here..this is a great site for Golden lovers and you are amongst some very endearing and caring people :) My heartfelt condolences also. In time the pain doesn't hurt as much and the tears turn into happy tears. He left you with the greatest gift of all in that he trusted, loved you and left you with15 years of happy memories:) You most certainly did the right thing :)

I had to put my 4th beloved Jake"R"meboy at 11.5 y/o down in September... pretty much like you of not having any signs what soever, exept he couldn't hold down his food for a day. I took him in thinking it was a bug but it was a huge mass on his large Colon and I didn't have the heart to put him through a possible exploratory and or Chemo and radiation..He didn't have to suffer and was loving and wagging his tail at everyone at the vets till his last moment in my arms.

You might want to think about a puppy. It took me 4 days until I called the breeder and in 3 long weeks I finally picked up my lil devil..I couldn't be more happier then starting a new life with my lil nasty..it doesn't replace the loss but it certainly does help in my case. I'm just able to look at pictures of my old beauty boy Jake and just smile and cry happy tears :)

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Lucy,

My heart goes out to you. I've been there myself. You did nothing wrong. It was his time

My first golden, Buddy, died at about 15 (he was a stray). My current golden, Andy, was just diagnosed with cancer. 2 weeks ago tonight, and 2 weeks ago tonight I stumbled across this site. Through teary eyes and a heavy heart found this site out of thousands and thousands of Google results on lymphoma. You are at the right place.

Lucy, RIO was 15. That's over 100 years old in golden retriever years. He lived a full, happy, healthy life right 'til his last minutes thanks to you. You hurt because you love him so much. He loves you just as much. You will see him again. I promise you.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

---------

Rio's another of your guardian angels now. The first thing he did when he crossed the Rainbow Bridge (even before playing like he is now) was ask God - without the need for words - to help you to not cry too much. To let you know how grateful he is you gave him the life he had. How much he loves you and always will. To help you find another buddy to love who's still on Earth and needs a person with a heart as big as yours to help him or her have a life they aren't having, but dream about as they hope for someone like you. To smile when you find each other.

Then Rio will know you will be OK. And Rio will smile.

I'll pray for you, Lucy.

God bless you.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I am so sorry. Godspeed Rio.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,605 Posts
Hi Wendy, welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry you found us under these circumstances.

I know how what you're going through and how incredibly sad and hard it is-I lost my 15.5 year old golden boy in Feb. of this year, he would have been 16 in Aug.

It's by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do and it has never gotten any easier with each time. Try not to feel guilty, you gave him the best gift you could by setting him free of his pain and suffering. You let him go with dignity.

Rio will always be with you, he'll always be in your heart and with you in spirit, watching over you and your family.

God bless

Run free, play hard, and sleep softly sweet Rio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Wendy,

I am so very sorry for the loss of Rio. May you find comfort in your many memories of days shared, and of her floating away so peacefully with you by her side.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts