Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just lost another golden boy to cancer our second, again no signs. within 24 hours gone. As much as I dread the cancer, I love the breed. I have a 2 year old golden boy at home. I have never had just one golden. We are going to get another one soon, as Charlie is so lonely, I have been taking in the neighborhood dogs for doggie day care to help Charlie. It seem to brighten his day. Foster was 11 we thought we had it made then there it was no sign, a slight cough and cancer, bleeding and gone. Casey about 8-9 a rescue, as a red golden as you could get, last week taking our nightly walk, down he went, cancer in the heart -gone.
Of course everyone say don't get another golden, shame on them, when you fall in love with the breed, you love it!! no matter what, they are one dog who is always smiling.. thanks for listening may all that are going though this know, we have loved our goldens and remembering the good times are what we have, do not linger on their passing. cry, cry hard and then smile.
Charliebear

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Yes once the breed has you there is never any other like them. I am glad you have Charlie to hang on to and nice to hear a new pup soon. Just seems like we have lost so many of our wonderful goldens this year. I pray that 2012 rings in with none!

Reactions: Karen519

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss.

Run softly at the Bridge Casey.

Reactions: Karen519

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so sorry. I hope you find comfort here among similar lovers of this most special breed. When you feel able, I hope you'll share stories of your puppers and some pictures.... we LOVE pictures. Hugs to you and Charlie and godspeed to sweet Casey.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Take comfort knowing you gave them a great life and they did not suffer with illness for an extended time.

I lost Lucky the same way. Less than 12 HR before he was playing ball for over 3 hrs at the age of 13 with young athletic dogs and the next morning he did not get up while we where making bacon his fave. Though his arthritis was acting up but took him to emergency vet. The said he was bleeding from his spleen- emergency surgery was done. Did not know he was sick. Liver cancer with tumor the size of a football with mets to his spleen causing it to rupture. I let him go. I did not want him to suffer with healing from surgery to only loss him a few months later if I was lucky. He was too good a boy for that.

I'm sure a new golden will come to you at the right time for you and your family. I just rescue my newest addition and he looks very similar and exhibits some of the behaviors to my Lucky did.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss and frankly hope my old girl goes that way, quick, but how hard it is to even think about. Kudos to your for getting to know a new soul, they are all so unique and special. My sympathies to you and your family for this difficult time. Kimberly

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Casey. Even after every loss of one of goldens we say never another golden and we get another one. There is just something about those sweet pups. The right one will come along.

My most recent two goldens have been rescue goldens. It is amazing how they both have picked up some of the little quirks of my heart dog Beau that passed away before either of them came to the home.

My heart goes out to you in your time of loss. Hug Charlie lots and it will help.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Cancer sucks big time and I wish our goldens didn't suffer from this horrible disease.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.
I had two goldens die of cancer fast without any obvious signs. I think goldens are so stoic that they don't let us know when something is wrong. They seem to have a strong pain threshold and they also do not want to burden us. They hold on just for us, till it is too late.
I pretty much hold my breath with every passing year that I have my Toby. I have blood work done on him every six months. Lately, of course, he has not been so lucky and had two surgeries, TPLO which is cruciate ligament repair on his right knee and FHO on his hip. He is still recovering from both. But at least it is not cancer. Knock on wood!
Again, I am so sorry for the loss of your fur baby!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
What a great attitude you have ! I am so sorry for your loss.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Charliebear

Charliebear

I am so very, very, sorry for the loss of your sweet Goldens!
We lost our Golden Girl at 11.5 years old last December and lost our Samoyed at age of 10, both to hemangiosarcoma.
I am sure Charlie would love another buddy and I know you will find one. Are you going to look at the Golden Rescues, or go to a breeder?
National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your sudden, horrible loss. Miss Lillie passed New Year's Day of this year, 5 weeks after we had to let Jake go to the bridge. We were absolutely devastated. We brought Maddie home April 16th. She is a godsend (although I had forgotten what puppies were like). We hope to bring a rescue into our home, maybe next year. You're so right, they wiggle their way into our hearts. My deepest sympathy to you & your family.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I am so sorry. Sending you strength.

·
Registered
239 Posts
We lost our sweet Casey to hemangiosarcoma just 2 months ago. It was also very fast.
Hugs to you and Charlie. Godspeed Casey.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Deepest sympathies from my wife and I. We know how you feel, as we are still reeling from the loss of our Sigma last week (to the night) in exactly the same way. Hemangiosarcoma and other cancers are so brutally quick.

Take comfort in that your pup is no longer in pain, running free at the bridge. It certainly has helped thinking of our pooch chasing an endless supply of un-breakable frisbees and always-clean tennis balls.

To all the recent departures of our friends, RIP sweet puppies. Enjoy the Bridge. We shall meet again.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It just happens so fast.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Buddy seven months ago, still crying and it's very hard without my boy, but no regrets. Love and light he brought in my life will never fade.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Charliebear

Charliebear

So many of us know this pain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts