Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kristen; Buddy's Human
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This isn't about my beautiful Golden boy, but my other just-as-beautiful dog, Hiro.

I've noticed over the last month or so that he's lost a LOT of fur. His stomach fur was always short, but now he's nearly bald along the inside of his back legs and up to his ribcage. I freaked out a little bit, but my husband insisted we try to fix it ourselves before jumping to conclusions.

We've changed him over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck formula - no grains, no chicken, which I know he could be allergic to and could cause hair loss. (As a side note, my boys are doing fine with their stools) No change.

He's been no more itchy than before that I've noticed; he does gnaw on his hind legs a little more I think? I treated both dogs for fleas a couple weeks ago - not that I saw any fleas to begin with - but that doesn't seem to have slowed him down. I've been noticing what looks like dandruff when I brush him, but his skin isn't flaky or scaly. No odd bumps, lumps, or sore spots that I've noticed.

I have an appointment on Wednesday and I'm sure I'll get an answer then, but I trust the men and women on this forum: anybody have a clue what could be causing my dog to lose fur like this, or how to fix it? It worries me so much, I've never seen anything like it before :no:

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
There was a topic earlier about this (or similar) and a lot of people recommended a full thyroid panel.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Kristen; Buddy's Human
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect, I'll be sure to ask them to run one!

I admit I feel like an awful owner too because I thought he was just a bit stressed from the move in October and needed time to settle in to our new house. Crossing an ocean is hard on people, I can't imagine how hard it is on dogs.

·
Kristen; Buddy's Human
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that link, Tahnee! It's really interesting, I'm seeing a lot of good information on there :) I added some more details to my initial post that I had forgotten because of the chart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts