Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dakota's Daddy
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am getting concerned. Dakota (16 months old) was at the Vet Friday 2/13 and got get the Rabies and DHLPP vaccines. On Sunday she started losing her appetite, to the point that Monday I needed to switch foods because she was not eating at all. She ate the new food regularly for a day and now losing her appetite again (ate nothing this morning). I gave her a Pepcid AC to see if her stomach is upset (4 days though?). It just seems like too much of a coincidence that this happened within 48 hours of the vaccines. Her attitude is bouncy as usual, mood seems to be fine she is playful. Maybe sleeping just a little more. No vomiting and stool is normal. Has anyone else encountered side effects from these vaccines? What else should I be doing?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
My vet says Puf might get fever after his shot and he usually gets very quiet for a couple of hours afterwards. He does eat less because in general he's not feeling that good. But it only lasts about 12 hrs tops.

Granted, he's not had a rabies shot yet. Maybe it's tougher on the little guy?

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
It's possible it's from the vaccinations, although with that time frame it's more likely that your pup picked up a little doggie virus while at the vet. Unfortunately, that happens pretty often.
You could call your vet and see if they've seen any minor tummy viruses going around recently.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would contact the vet like hotel4dogs says. It is probably a bug.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
It could be a reaction to the vaccines (that's a lot to do at once), or she could have been fighting off or just starting a bug and the vaccines stressed out her system so it could take hold.

I would let the vet know what's going on, doesn't sound like you need to take her in, but they should know and have it on her file. It might be a good idea to titer test her in the future before doing vaccines.

Hope she's feeling better soon, it's normal for them to not want to eat if they're sick. Try offering some low salt broth on the side, but don't do too much 'dressing' on the food or she'll start to expect it all the time.

Lana

·
Dakota's Daddy
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We went to the vet tonight and they said she has a mild fever. They ran blood work and some other tests, as well as x-rays to see if there was an obstruction (I know, the bill just kept going up). However they did find something in her tummy that was hard to distinguish and were not sure if it would pass or be vomited. Though they tested for Lyme's and came back negative, they want her to have a low dose of antibiotics (doxycycline) for Lyme's because there is a slight potential it's an early sign of that. Also a Pepcid equivalent to settle her stomach and hopefully increase appetite. So still no concrete answers... a wait and see process. She ate a little bland rice with broth tonight. Mood still seems good. Keeping my fingers crossed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts