Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
New Dad
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Honey just cannot seem to get her poop on schedule. The last few nights she has had to go every 3 hours or so. During the day not so frequent. The consistency is that of soft serve. Every once in awhile there is a formed one and its not like she is going every half an hour. I'd say 6 times a day. The problem is I know this is not normal and she hasnt been right for about a month now. There has been time within in this month where her stool was normal.

I feed Nutro Natural Lg Breed Lamb and Rice Puppy. Only other treats she gets is some chicken dog jerky from costco, dry puppy treats, and pb in her kong. Today she didn't have any treats to my knowledge. She has free reign to her bowl as suggested by her vet and I'd say she is eating about a 3 cups of day of food. Today I gave her some brown rice and pumpkin. Her behavior is the same today she was really active and got lots of excersize and still wanted to play. The only weird thing she gets into is dirty water, she loves it and its really hard to keep her from drinking it at my house. Its hard to get her to drink her clean water. She loves to drink standing water like a lot of dogs.

Is there any suggestions of what more I can do? Does anyone have any ideas about what could be my problem? Maybe there is something wrong in her digestive system? Should I be worried, and should I make yet another vet appt? About 10 days ago I took in a stool sample to the vet for the same problem she had no worms or parasites. Only changes in diet have been a new bag of the same kind of food. She also had her first bully stick two days ago and snagged a slice of pizza that same day. I just want the best for my dog and would appreciate in suggestions or possible diagnosis... Thank you all so much..

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would look at a better food, one that doesn't have so many fillers in it - that one has rice in many different forms, listed after one meat source, so it's likely mostly rice of some sort. Personally I'd avoid a lot of grains in a kibble and go towards a single grain ingredient if at all - there are lots of grain free foods.

Also, don't free feed!!! Many reasons why, but in this case, you are far better off regulating what goes in so you can have a bit of control over what comes out and when. It may do her system a world of good to take a bit of a break, even for a few hours, rather than constantly grazing on kibble a bit at a time (she may be eating too much, or eating too much one day and causing a problem or adding to it). That way you can make sure she's eaten dinner early enough to go through the night without waking you up (one would hope anyway, as I sit here with a human baby who refuses to sleep!).

I would do the pumpkin as about a third of her meals, skip the brown rice as it's higher in fiber and she's getting a lot of rice. Sweet potato (boiled/baked and mashed) might be a good idea too and it has carbs in it (you could use that instead of pumpkin). Digestive enzymes, probiotics and slippery elm would be good to add as well (you can get them at a health food store).

It may just be something you deal with for the first year or so, some dogs take some time to mature digestive wise (raw diet might be an option, very rarely have heard of this problem with a raw fed pup). Bender did years ago until we switched to raw.

Lana

·
New Dad
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thanks for the advice Bender. I am going to switch to feeding her 3 times daily with a cup at each feeding. To my amazement she ate nearly the whole cup at breakfast plus some pumpkin. She has gone twice this moring and both have been way better the second was pretty formed. Ill give her some more pumpkin and a little bit of banana and white rice with her lunch.

We were working outside yesterday and she was right there with us and I think she got into some other stuff that had been sitting around for awhile in the wheel barrow as my mother just informed me. That couldn't have been the best thing for her tummy.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
If you look through some of my old threads, I had this exact same problem. Not only did Flora consistently have soft, pudding like stools, but occasionally she would have the rankest, nastiest liquid stools INSIDE the house because she couldn't even hold it in. I think we had 3 stool samples sent in with negative results for parasites, and I switched *puppy* foods about 4 times. I tried pumpkin, rice & boiled beef diet, digestive enhancers, probiotics... ugh, everything.

Anyhow, I was fed up, and my vet suggested several things. One, she put Flora on an anti-diarrheal as well as another drug that would take care of any parasites if she did have any. She also told me to get Flora off puppy food and put her on adult food, and to stay away from chicken as that sometimes causes digestive problems.

Omg, the difference was almost immediate! Probably b/c of the anti-diarrheal, but even when we stopped that she was still having normal poos. Flora went from Blue Buffalo Puppy, a food that a lot of people here consider "high" quality, to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Formula for adult dogs, which a lot of people here would probably consider "low" quality. Her stool output is 2-3x a day (she eats 3 cups a day), and it is firm and not too stinky (unlike her stools when she was on the puppy food, ugh.) I still give her some plain yogurt when I remember, for the probiotics.

Anyhow, I suggest switching her over to an adult food, and keep her on a lamb and rice formula if possible. Ask you vet if she/he can treat your dog for colitis, and go from there.

Don't worry, you will find the remedy soon!

·
New Dad
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you so much for your suggestions. That does make a lot of sense. I am going to try and stick with this regular feeding schedule for a week and see how Honey does before I make a food change or go to the vet, again. I'm really starting to think she was just eating to much certain days and to late at night.

She just ate all the food I put out again, jeesh I thought it would be so hard to get her to eat a cup at a time. All I had to do was take food away for 5-6 hours and excersize her and she was ready. She just ate a cup of kibble mixed with 2 tbs of white rice, pumpkin, and banana. Now she is resting. We went on a long walk.

Thank you again, the reason Im hesitant to switch foods is becuase her stool has been normal on this food. Ever since I tried switching to Blue Buffalo we've had problems on and off.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
thank you so much for your suggestions. That does make a lot of sense. I am going to try and stick with this regular feeding schedule for a week and see how Honey does before I make a food change or go to the vet, again. I'm really starting to think she was just eating to much certain days and to late at night.

She just ate all the food I put out again, jeesh I thought it would be so hard to get her to eat a cup at a time. All I had to do was take food away for 5-6 hours and excersize her and she was ready. She just ate a cup of kibble mixed with 2 tbs of white rice, pumpkin, and banana. Now she is resting. We went on a long walk.

Thank you again, the reason Im hesitant to switch foods is becuase her stool has been normal on this food. Ever since I tried switching to Blue Buffalo we've had problems on and off.
Yeah, Blue Buffalo did not work for us either, yikes. It was gross.

Well, hopefully it is just a small problem like her getting into something she shouldn'tve. I hope this clears up quickly, because I know how gross it is. :yuck:

·
New Dad
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well so far so good only slip up was my mother didnt feed her at 7 like I thought she was going to so I had to feed her when I got back at 920. Her stool was good again about one hour ago, we'll see how she does through the night.

·
New Dad
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Honeys stool is perfect now. I think this eating three times a day is really doing the trick. She has adjusted fine and eats whatever I put down in about 10 minutes or so. I thought it would take her ahwile to adjust be she must be hungry...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts