Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 months old male dog (long story how i got him, not from a breeder), which looks like a golden to me (i would like your opinion about that!), he acts like a golden, i mean he retrieves, he chews,he stoles my socks, he doesnt bark often, he is very gentle inside the house and runs like the wind outside!He is very active, he follows me at horse ridding for two hours without complaining! He is healthy as the vet said.
the problem is that he is too skiny,he is only 9 kilos, and he doesnt eat a lot. I give him Royal canine medium breeds puppy dry food, and he only eats 100gr per day, which I think is not enough. The bag says aboyt 200gr per day.He likes a lot eating meat, but i dont think that this can help him grow up!
Well, my question is:
IS he small because he doesnt eat enough, or is he small because he is crossed with a small breed dog?
Should I wait longer to see any changes?
here are some photos

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
He sure likes like a Golden to me--although an undernourished one. Also at his age, they do tend to look leggy and he may have just had a growth spurt (height). Have you tried to "fatten him up" with things like plain canned pumpkin, canned dog food, etc? As far as "waiting"... I don't understand what you are waiting for. Go ahead, love him, feed him, enjoy him! He's beautiful.
Welcome to the Forum :wavey:

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
He might have a little something other than Golden in his lines but definetly majority GoldenBoy. 6 months old and doing 2 hour run alongs is probably keeping weight off of him. I really don't follow the food threads too much but I would ask the people here that do about foregoing the puppy food and going to adult with the active lifestyle he has. Sure is a cutie - Already got his butt feathers and everything!!!!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I don't think he is full Golden- in fact, he looks almost sighthound-like to me, and I rarely believe a dog has sighthound in it since that is so very statistically unlikely. But, it's not impossible. If he is not too thin or too fat, I wouldn't worry- and he doesn't look fat or too thin. He has a rather Saluki-like build to him. What country are you in? He is a beauty, either way!

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
I am no pro but I do not think he is pure golden. He is a good looking pup however. If the vet says he's healthy I would take their advice. As always just make sure he is getting a quality food and adjust the amount depending on his activity level...Good Luck

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He is a cutie no matter what breed he is. I do think he has something other than golden but it sounds like he has all the personality and feathers like one. Since he does so much running and playing while horseriding with you, then I think I would give him alittle more food because he is burning so much calories. When you feel like it, we would love to hear all about how you got him. Welcome to the forum for the both of you.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
19 punds (9 kilos) is pretty small for a six month old golden and 1 C (100 gr) is not much food at all. I think I was feeding 300 gr at that time. Is it that he won't eat more? Can you mix in some wet food or try and find something he likes better?

He is a cute, looks like a lotta Golden to me, but he needs to be eating more, I think.

·
Registered
447 Posts
He does look a lot like a Golden, but I'd bet money there is a thinner style breed in there as well. It's hard to say how under weight he is without knowing his full history.

You mentioned he likes meat, have you considered a raw diet or a possible change in diet, or adding some wet food/goats milk in with one of his meals?

He's a cutie by the way, looks like a great guy.

·
old but new
711 Posts
I have to agree! He looks mixed with something like greyhound or whippet or something of a SKINNY / LONG LEGGED nature.... he has a small head in proportion to his body...at least it looks that way in one or two of the photos.....but he does have alot of golden in him!! Cute boy!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Definitely looks to be a Golden mix... he's adorable too! Are you saying that he WONT eat more than 100gr of food a day, or you just aren't feeding him more than 100gr? If you put more food down would he eat more? Perhaps if you mix a little warm water in the kibble to entice him a bit.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
He sure looks mostly golden to me, but he does have sort of a slim face, which makes me think there might be a little mix of some other breed in there, but it's very hard to tell. My boy just turned 7 months old and they go through phases where they look really strange as they are growing!

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
His face doesn't look totally golden to me, although the rest of him looks VERY golden! What a handsome, handsome boy. :)

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I agree that his mix seems to be something sight-hound, with his deep chest and highly tucked waist and thinner face. Eve if that's true, he still looks a bit underweight to me, so I'd feed him a bit more. Very cute dog!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks a lot for your replies!
The story goes like this: I was working in a "pet shop" (greece), where we were selling dog-cat-bird food, live birds, animal medicines and stuff like that...One day a guy shows up (from a country next to greece) with two puppies male and female, seemed to be golden, at about 40 days old, and my boss, bought them in order to sell them in the shop. The time was passing, nobody wanted them, you see, the town is to small, people get for free dogs and they are not interested in giving money for a dog.So, when they became 3 months old, I was feeling very sorry for them (hektor is too cleaver! not because he is mine) and I decided to take the male at home (actually i payed it), and the other one took it a friend of mine.
The problem with the food started when they were at the shop, while they didnt eat the kibble food. I was in charge of them, I tried a lot of brands, but nothing. The same problem continiues until now.
It is not that I am feeding him only 100g!!!, It is that he doesnt eat more, he doesnt want, he is not interested!
I tried everything! I put yogurt, he eats only the yogurt and leaves the rest! The same with milk, meat, with warm water...the last days i take the food and i put it in his mouth.
We went horseridding only 4 times, doesnt happen every day.I wrote it to show you that it has a lot of energy and he is healthy.
The country he comes from (FYROM), is to poor to breed saluki (I red that they cost about 1500$), and he is too short, now he is 43cm tall.
I am very worried about his apetite, even a cat or a pecinua eats more! What about apetite stimulants?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Some dogs (and especially sighthound type dogs if he indeed is part sighthound) are often self regulating eaters. If he is growing and eating what he wishes, and is active, fit, and happy, then I truly would not worry about it. With his coat it is hard to tell without touching him- but if you can feel his ribs, but they are not jutting out... and if you can tell where the hip bones are, but they cannot be seen, he's probably okay. If he really is a Saluki cross, visable hip bones actually could be okay. Many Salukis in ideal weight have their hips visable... even some fat ones do, it's just their structure. Others, they do not show at all. Depends on the dog...

He is very narrow and teenaged looking, which is age, too. Beautiful coat! Try feeding one meal a day and picking the dish up after 15 minutes- night time is best. Many of my hounds have refused morning meals, but bulked up eating once a day at night. Leaving the food down all the time makes it worse.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have a cute little pup there. If you can see his ribs or feel them very easily under the skin then he is probably too thin. You might try changing his food. Some dogs just don't like what they are being fed. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

·
Registered
958 Posts
It's hard to tell by the pics how underweight he might be if indeed he is underweight. A 6 month golden should typically be 17-22 kg. While he does appear to be MAYBE A LITTLE on the thin side he doesn't appear to me like he needs to gain 10 kg, and he looks pretty healthy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts