Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have grown up with goldens in my family all my life and I am now ready to adopt my own. I am looking to adopt a young adult golden, either male or female. I live in New Haven and I am willing to drive throughout southern New England. Looking for recommendations for rescue organizations or other available adult goldens.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just to prepare you... It's almost as hard to find/adopt/rescue an adult golden in New England as it is to get a puppy, with almost as long a wait sometimes! I used to be a home visitor for YGRR and it wasn't unusual for approved homes to wait a year or more for the "right" dog (and I believe the "supply" has only gotten tighter, thankfully, since I was a home visitor).

The two main Golden-specific rescues in New England are:
www.ygrr.org, and

There are also two Southern rescues (I believe both out of Tennesee) that have a presence in New England (meaning they have a network of people in New England who can help with transport, short-term fostering, home checks, and emergency reclaim if a placement doesn't work out):

The YGRC also maintains a list of GR rescues around the country - some may be close enough for you to be considered, but check their individual policies. National Rescue Committee of the Golden Retriever Club of America

If it's just that you want an adult, and it's not important to you to "rescue," you may also want to reach out some New England breeders as they sometimes have adults they choose to rehome or which have been returned to them due to changes in the original owners's home. Just be prepared to pay AT LEAST as much as you would for a well-bred puppy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, what pawspaca said. It's not easy unless you happen to come across a friend or family member that knows someone who happens to be looking to rehome their golden for some reason.

The closest rescue organization that I know of is Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue in Mass. They aren't processing applications at this time due to the pandemic but you can still submit one.

So few goldens are surrendered in the US that a lot organizations are importing them from countries like China, Turkey and Egypt.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Just an update on processing and YGRR. I am a home visitor for them, and also conducting reference checks. They are accepting applications (as eeerrrmmm1 noted) and they have also begun processing them. It is hard to say how long it will take from application to adoption. It depends on how specific your request is. If you are willing to take an older dog, perhaps with medical issues, it could happen sooner. They are all about making the best fit between owner and dog. In terms of domestic/versus importation adoptions, for the last quarter more than 50 percent of their dogs were domestic surrenders. I would encourage you to submit an adoption application to them. They are a wonderful agency.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi Dear!!! I am Paul (Newman).Gorgeous I am I know. I was found tied to a Gas Station in the middle of nowhere at South of Turkey .Most probably people I considered my family were not my humans. I have had all my tests done including blood parasites & giardia.I got neutered & received all my vaccinations.I hope you will meet me & other rescue friends at YGRR.PS: If you have a private jet and can fly me over together with the rest of my rescue friends to Boston, I am sure you will not have to wait a long period:pTill than , we are being good dogs in Istanbul and cannot wait to reach our wonderful rescue in MA 🐶🐶🐶🐶

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi Dear!!! I am Paul (Newman).Gorgeous I am I know. I was found tied to a Gas Station in the middle of nowhere at South of Turkey .Most probably people I considered my family were not my humans. I have had all my tests done including blood parasites & giardia.I got neutered & received all my vaccinations.I hope you will meet me & other rescue friends at YGRR.PS: If you have a private jet and can fly me over together with the rest of my rescue friends to Boston, I am sure you will not have to wait a long period:pTill than , we are being good dogs in Istanbul and cannot wait to reach our wonderful rescue in MA 🐶🐶🐶🐶
Oh my goodness, Peri! He's beautiful! I hope he can make his way to a forever home soon. 💗

1 - 7 of 7 Posts