Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, It's been a while so first of all :wavey:
Anyway, I was looking for information on perhaps finding a breeder that adopts out older failed showed prospects/retired adult breeders to companion homes :)

I am looking for a service dog prospect, and due to health/temperament unknowns, a shelter/rescue situation isn't ideal and due to temperament changes and the unknowns that come with puppies growing up, I have decided to go with an adult dog instead of a puppy

so I would love help in finding the right breeder that would work with me in adding an adult dog to my home this fall or later

I live on the east coast and am moving to Boston in May :) but am currently in Miami, FL
I am an active, dog-savvy girl who majored in animal science in college and suffers from epilepsy, I am looking for a dog to work with me in seizure response because I come out of my seizures (which resemble fainting spells) through tactical stimulation (licking, nuzzling).
I love to jog, swim, watch movies and bake!

I am looking for an open, honest breeder who focuses strongly on socialization, health, and temperament in their dogs.

First and foremost, I am looking for a companion. Not all dogs are cut for service dog work, so "washing out" happens and I accept that :)
so first and foremost I am looking for a dog who enjoys long walks, training, cuddling, dog parks, swimming, and the active fun busy life that comes with living in a city

I am hoping for a dog to join my family around October, but was hoping to at least find a few breeders to keep my eye on around that time and to start talking to

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
If you are looking for a dog from a show background, I would go to some local shows and talk to breeders. Try not to talk to them just before they are going into the ring though. You can find local shows through infodog.com.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Are you open to getting an adult dog they may have a "health clearance" issue? Most of the time breeders will know at 6 months to a year whether or not the puppy/dog will work out in show, sometimes a little longer. But health clearances are often another reason why a reputable might place an otherwise great dog, and this can take until 2 years to find out. Sometimes a breeder as already finished the dog to his or her championship and has to place them because of a failing health clearance. This doesn't mean they will have a serious problem or even something that effects their quality of life at all (this depends obviously on each situation). Sometimes its just a grade I elbow, and the dog can not be bred, but you would never know otherwise, unless you were looking at the x-rays.. Just thought I would bring this up, as its quite common for minor problems like this, and its good to think about it, before you talk to a breeder.

Also I don't know of any breeders currently with an adult dog, but I will throw a word of caution your way. Beware of "high volume" breeders, they are the ones that will have 20 or 30 dogs listed on their site, and only 2 or 3 have titles, because it is likely a dog from there will be extremely un-socialized and who knows how carefully bred. When looking for an adult dog, be weary of how the breeder keeps their dogs. The best is obviously a breeder who keeps their dogs in the house (the only way I think any dog should be kept), but this poses a statistical problem, because the less dogs the breeder has, the more socialized the dog will be, but also the less likely they will have a dog for you.... :p so I just wish you luck on your search and hopefully someone on here will have a suggestion of a great breeder for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you open to getting an adult dog they may have a "health clearance" issue? Most of the time breeders will know at 6 months to a year whether or not the puppy/dog will work out in show, sometimes a little longer. But health clearances are often another reason why a reputable might place an otherwise great dog, and this can take until 2 years to find out. Sometimes a breeder as already finished the dog to his or her championship and has to place them because of a failing health clearance. This doesn't mean they will have a serious problem or even something that effects their quality of life at all (this depends obviously on each situation). Sometimes its just a grade I elbow, and the dog can not be bred, but you would never know otherwise, unless you were looking at the x-rays.. Just thought I would bring this up, as its quite common for minor problems like this, and its good to think about it, before you talk to a breeder.

Also I don't know of any breeders currently with an adult dog, but I will throw a word of caution your way. Beware of "high volume" breeders, they are the ones that will have 20 or 30 dogs listed on their site, and only 2 or 3 have titles, because it is likely a dog from there will be extremely un-socialized and who knows how carefully bred. When looking for an adult dog, be weary of how the breeder keeps their dogs. The best is obviously a breeder who keeps their dogs in the house (the only way I think any dog should be kept), but this poses a statistical problem, because the less dogs the breeder has, the more socialized the dog will be, but also the less likely they will have a dog for you.... :p so I just wish you luck on your search and hopefully someone on here will have a suggestion of a great breeder for you.
I have no problem with minor failed health clearances as long as they don't affect over-all health of the dog.
I would feel most comfortable with a dogs hips graded atleast fair, since I am very active and wouldn't want a dog that would suffer from hip dysplasia, but show faults and gaits and other minor health clearance problems I don't think will be an issue

and I will be on the look out for high-volume breeders! I try to avoid kennel situation breeders in general (although I know there are exceptions), and am simply looking for a GOOD breeder who for one reason or another, has an adult that will be available/is known to occasionally have adults available

1 - 4 of 4 Posts