Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just signed up to this to see if anyone could give me some advice, I have a ten year old Retriever and he developed a lump on his nose about 4/5 months ago and did not go after tablets where giving from the vet. He has also over the past couple of months began to get very stiff and limp when walking, we used to walk about 4 mile a day i'd be lucky if i got 1 now or even out of the garden, He is turning his nose to his food and although still in good form seems to be in pain and finds it difficult to get up. We brought him to another vet and he claims the lump on his nose is a tumor and the stiffness Arthritis which i understand is common, However he said to try some of his remedy medication on his and he made up some stuff one to keep him calm and one for the stiffness, and it's a week on now and he's become really bad and seems really down which is not like him, can anybody give me any advice as to something that will help him?? really is heartbreaking seen him the way he is.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your Golden not feeling well.

You might check out this earthclinic.com website. It has information about how to treat arthritis in dogs with various remedies. Just read about the different remedies and see if there are any that sound reasonable to try:

Arthritis Remedies for Dogs

As for the lump on his nose, it sounds as if it might be a cyst. Has the vet told you what it is? If it is a cyst, you might try adding turmeric (the orange-colored spice) to his food, maybe a teaspoon mixed up in his food each time you feed him. I had a Golden that had a cyst on her leg, and after adding turmeric to her food for 2-3 weeks, the cyst completely disappeared!

Here's some info about cyst remedies:

CYST REMEDIES FOR PETS

Note: if your vet says it's NOT a cyst, search the same earthclinic.com forum for that and possible remedies.

Also, let us know here in the Golden Retriever Forum what your vet thinks it is. We'll do our best to support you!

Reactions: ciarah1504

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Poor pup and poor you! Can you have a complete thyroid panel run on him. Thyroid issues are common in goldens and can cause lameness, stiffness, lethargy and many other symptoms.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,536 Posts
Just to say I am very sorry, will pray for your boy.

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
First off, I'm sorry your poor boy isn't doing so well. It's hard to see them get older, isn't it?

Now, has the vet said anything about removing the lump on the nose and doing a biopsy? What does the lump look like? Is it inside the nose or on top (under the skin or on the surface) ? My girl just had a big, nasty looking growth removed from her leg - it turned out to be a completely benign cyst (despite how awful it looked and how quickly it grew). But it's very reassuring to know.

As for the pain, there are many different painkillers for arthritis. My 12-year-old girl has arthritis in her front ankles - she had a limp, they were swollen, and x-rays show pretty much no cartilege left at all. She was put on an NSAID (a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and now has no pain at all. She runs and plays ball like a pup. She is also on a supplement for joint stiffness, which has made a world of difference. She is a very active, energetic dog - has definitely slowed down from her prime years - and still loves a big hike and swimming and playing ball.

If you're not getting good advice from your vet about pain control, switch vets. There are so many different ways to help make our dogs feel better as they age - and you should be getting good guidance to help make your decisions.

Good luck! Please let us know what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

Thank you all so much,

We have decided to bring Prince back to the vet this evening as we are not happy with hoe he seems to be, also Wendy the lump is on top of his nose under the skin.

He cant seem to get up at all now although we did get him to walk a good bit last night and god love him he even tried to run with us.

He is really struggling :(

The vet just automatically said it could be a tumor but he said he wouldn't touch is as this can make them progress even more.

Since using the liquid the vet gave us he has gotten a whole lot worse so we have stopped and will bring him back today, if we are not happy with the outcome i may get a second vet's opinion.

Thanks for all your help,

Will keep you posted on how our little fighter is doing.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,727 Posts
So sorry to hear about your guy :(. I hope you are able to find away to help him.

Welcome to the group

·
Registered
13,285 Posts
I really hope the vet can offer Prince some help. Please let us know what happens.

·
Premium Member
18,561 Posts
I hope you get better answers from the vet. I think you really need to find a different vet, or even see if there is a veterinary college you could take him to.

There are a lot of joint supplements we can get in the states that help with arthritis, Glycoflex, Cosequin, Adequan, glucosamine and chrondroitin, and there are a lot of different pain medications vets can prescribe that can make dogs more comfortable. I would keep looking for help until you find something for him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://file:///C:/Users/Ciara/Downloads/image.jpeg[/IMG

Hear is a image of our sick boy today. Looking a lot better

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
If you do not give any joint supplements I would start ASAP. It will not give immediate results but it will help in the long run. We have used GlycoFlex with all our dogs in the past. Based on his age I would assume he would be on the GlycoFlexIII.
I would ask the vet to check thyroid levels and also Lyme.

On the lump I would at least do a biopsy for now - at least you will know what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all,

Sorry for the long wait it has been a hard one for us.

Turns out our lad Prince has a Tumor on his Liver and we are left with nothing but time.

To say the least we are heartbroken, and the only thing we ca do now is what's best for our boy.

Thanks again for all the kind messages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
He is a beauty. I'm so sorry about the diagnosis. I went through cancer with both of my labs. It is so hard knowing, and bug hugs to you and Prince. :(

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I am so so sorry for the devastating news on Prince. Hugs to all of you!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,536 Posts
I am so sorry for not so good news. Sending good thoughts and prayers for many, many good months with your sweet boy. He is very handsome, reminds me so much on my Buddy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heartbroken

Thank you all for your kind messages at this time,

It is such a difficult thing to go through and i never imagined i would have to do it with my pal.

I was 10 years old when this gorgeous puppy came into my life and he was the highlight of my life, not only has Prince grown up as part of my family but also my best friend that has been there through all the hardship life throws at us.

Today i sat with my very sick lad and how weak, sad and ill he is he knew i was upset and done everything he could to try get to me to comfort me even through at this stage he can just about stand up, He is getting weaker and weaker.

We feel we have came to a point where we need to make a decision on what is better for him. He was such a lively dog and now he can't even move.

We sat today and talked about all the things he has done over the past ten years and all we could do is laugh, I have made a promise to him no dog will ever replace him or come into our family he is our one and only.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts