Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

So exciting news! We are thinking about adding another golden to our home maybe sometime in the next year! EEK! We are looking at more the field-bred type golden, as I am interested in a high energy, sporting dog that will also appreciate accompanying me on long hikes in the mountains etc. I am looking for Canadian breeders ideally somewhere between British Columbia, Alberta or Saskatchewan. I have had my eye on a Zaniri puppy, and I know she comes highly recommended. But, just wondered if there are any other great field breeders I might be overlooking.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
I know a few Zaniri dogs... great high energy, great hunting lines. I would talk to them, talk about what you are looking for. They are a lot of dog, but great dog in the right family and environment. Laureen is extremely knowledgeable. I don't know her sister, but I'm sure she is, too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It is so exciting to get a new puppy. We pick up or new boy on January 18th, weather permitting. I am curious, why are you looking for a field breeder? These dogs typically are higher energy and require more exercise. Many of the good breeders for field Golden's will want to know if you plan to use the dog hunt tests, trials, obedience, or actually hunting birds...etc.

They breed these dogs to run/ participate in these events. The dogs are generally more expensive than dogs that are not selectively bred for field. You may find a breeder who will sell to you but don't be too frustrated if a few say no.

Good luck

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
I love field bred dogs! But I like to do obedience. They have a determination about them that makes training so easy. They don't mind being wrong and will continue to try to give you the behavior you want. As long as you know what you are getting and provide the training and exercise they are wonderful, devoted goldens. LOL besides they usually have a more versatile coat that requires very little upkeep as far as grooming. Everything just falls off their coat :)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love, love, love my puppy out of Scrabble. She's a handful and too smart for her own good, but so sweet and beautiful. His owner is great, and while she doesn't breed, you could ask who's planning to use her boys. Pedigree: Can CH GMOTCH GMH NMH Zaniri Letter By Letter CDX WCX CCA Can WCX MH; GRCC VHOF OBHOF VCX
I LOVE Scrabble. Back when you bred your girl I so wanted to get a puppy from you, but, wasn't ready at that time. Zaniri just did a pairing with Scrabble too, but, again the timing was not quite right. She is planning on breeding this fall, and that is the pairing I have my eye on, but, the stud dog hasn't been announced yet... 😳

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know a few Zaniri dogs... great high energy, great hunting lines. I would talk to them, talk about what you are looking for. They are a lot of dog, but great dog in the right family and environment. Laureen is extremely knowledgeable. I don't know her sister, but I'm sure she is, too.
Thank you! I was planning on contacting them very soon. I just need my bank account to recover from my wedding in 2019/Christmas. I don't want to bother them before I have the money to put towards a deposit. But, a lot of dog is exactly what I am looking for 😁

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An agility acquaintance of mine is getting a puppy from Heads Up on Vancouver Island. She visited them and loved what she saw.
Thank you! I will take a look at them as well. Plus, who wouldn't want to take a trip to Vancouver Island? 😉

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Thank you! I will take a look at them as well. Plus, who wouldn't want to take a trip to Vancouver Island? 😉
I will add that although I live in Canada, I went to Tanbark in Wisconsin for Duster. It was a very short plane ride. Yvonne breeds performance lines. Duster is without doubt the most trainable dog I've ever owned. He's amazing.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is so exciting to get a new puppy. We pick up or new boy on January 18th, weather permitting. I am curious, why are you looking for a field breeder? These dogs typically are higher energy and require more exercise. Many of the good breeders for field Golden's will want to know if you plan to use the dog hunt tests, trials, obedience, or actually hunting birds...etc.

They breed these dogs to run/ participate in these events. The dogs are generally more expensive than dogs that are not selectively bred for field. You may find a breeder who will sell to you but don't be too frustrated if a few say no.

Good luck
Congratulations on your new boy! Ten days, you must be so excited!

A high energy, well-bred dog is exactly what I am looking for. I have a golden now, she just turned 5. She is an amazing dog, and I wouldn't trade her for anything! We got very lucky with our first dog, and everyone who meets her adores her. But, in looking for my next dog, I now know there are certain things that I am looking for...

I am extremely interested in partaking in dog sports, particularly agility... but, I am open to other competitions as well. I have tried rally and agility with my dog now. While she will participate in these things because I asked her to, she does not have a drive for it. Nor is she particularly fast as she is larger in body than a typical female golden (backyard bred). She is usually more excited to leave the training facility than she is to be there. Not wanting to push my own agenda on my dog and make her miserable, I have found that she loves participating in dog therapy. So, we do that together now, and I take her to visit seniors and a women's and children's shelter 3x a month. And would continue to do this with her even with the introduction of a second dog.

Another hobby of mine is hiking. I can hike anywhere up to 20km in one day on weekends during the spring/summer. Rundle does really enjoy hiking, but, I do notice she sometimes gets very sore after our hikes. She definitely has some joint sensitivities, so, I have to be conscious of the terrain we are on. Winter hikes are a definite no for her, as she is very cautious on ice. Therefore, in my next dog, I would want one that can more easily keep up with my activities, and that has a solid joint history behind it.

And then generally, there is the aspect of temperament. Rundle lies on the more fearful end of the spectrum despite rigorous socialization and exposure on our end. In our next dog, I am really looking for one that is more bold, driven, and will hopefully even make Rundle feel a bit more comfortable in situations where she might be uneasy (e.g. walking at night). I have found in babysitting other dogs that she is much better when she has a confident friend leading the way.

I live in a great area, with lots of places I can take dogs off-leash to run free, including a huge field just behind my sizeable fenced backyard. I have a great career and no kids, so money and time to spend with my dogs. I honestly think I could provide an amazing and stimulating home for a field bred dog. Hopefully, whenever or whomever I talk to will agree :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like a field bred Golden will be perfect for you and your lifestyle, interests, will be perfect for your new Golden! Take your time and find a good one! Some breeders are trying to produce a smaller Golden as they tend to be faster and a bit more agile. They also, we hope, will have less joint problems as they age....

And you are right, we are getting very excited for our new boy....

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will add that although I live in Canada, I went to Tanbark in Wisconsin for Duster. It was a very short plane ride. Yvonne breeds performance lines. Duster is without doubt the most trainable dog I've ever owned. He's amazing.
I am not at all against travel to the USA, and there are certainly many great breeders there to choose from. The only thing I have a hard time justifying is paying 1/3 more the asking price because of the exchange from CAD to USD, when there are amazing breeders in Canada that I could approach instead. Particularly, since I am not in a rush to add a new member to our family, and can wait for an available breeding. Duster is awesome though!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love field bred dogs! But I like to do obedience. They have a determination about them that makes training so easy. They don't mind being wrong and will continue to try to give you the behavior you want. As long as you know what you are getting and provide the training and exercise they are wonderful, devoted goldens. LOL besides they usually have a more versatile coat that requires very little upkeep as far as grooming. Everything just falls off their coat :)
This is what I love to hear! It's that determination I am looking for and cannot wait to work with! I am all about giving my dogs everything they need and more. I feel like I have more to give, but, Rundle is just not into competing. And that's fine if she would rather do therapy. I know now I have to choose the right dog for the right activity. And no one will complain about having a manageable coat 😉

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In BC I would look at Zaniri, Rio Ranch, Goldnguns, and Heads Up.
Thank you so much hollyk! I have been crazy busy the last couple of days at work, but, will definitely check out these other breeders, as well. So far, I have been in conversation with Zaniri about her fall pairing. Just waiting on some more info from her at this time. EEK! So exciting!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts