Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning! We are looking for a golden retriever puppy in Florida from a breeder that does NOT do in line breeding and inbred puppies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,
Heather

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
If I could suggest something-
consider the COI on the breedings you look at, which would require a 'test breeding' link done several weeks before so that the COI is computed...
try to consider COIs under 7% or so as not really linebred...
inbreeding is for sure something to avoid but I don't think you would find a reputable breeder who inbreeds anyway-
Linebreeding is not the same thing. To keep type you have to do some level of linebreeding imo, or you get a litter who isn't at all consistent in looks.
There is a list (here- on the forum) of good breeders in S FL and one for Central FL-you'd just have to input South FL or Central FL in the search box to get it.
And then when you make inquiries, as for the test breeding link on k9data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I could suggest something-
consider the COI on the breedings you look at, which would require a 'test breeding' link done several weeks before so that the COI is computed...
try to consider COIs under 7% or so as not really linebred...
inbreeding is for sure something to avoid but I don't think you would find a reputable breeder who inbreeds anyway-
Linebreeding is not the same thing. To keep type you have to do some level of linebreeding imo, or you get a litter who isn't at all consistent in looks.
There is a list (here- on the forum) of good breeders in S FL and one for Central FL-you'd just have to input South FL or Central FL in the search box to get it.
And then when you make inquiries, as for the test breeding link on k9data.
Thank you. The reason I was concerned is because we just had THE BEST Labrador retriever....that died at the age of 4 because she came down with Lymphoma. Her male cousin, died a few months prior, at the age of 3 from Spindle Cell Carcinoma. So I'm a little afraid of inline and inbred for this reason. I saw a lab breeder in the Ocala area that used Sires from outside their farm to prevent this, so was looking for same with Golden retriever (my kids don't want another lab....there was only one Lilly.) And I've searched some golden retriever breeders, but can't seem to find any that don't use their same dogs on their own farm.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you are willing to wait, Prism is very well regarded on this forum, and usually has a waiting list. She is incredibly knowledgeable and has all of her clearances in place and easily found. Her dogs are gorgeous. .... and Robin is a delightful woman too...

She lives in Ocala and might be the person you referred to in your post.

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Thank you. The reason I was concerned is because we just had THE BEST Labrador retriever....that died at the age of 4 because she came down with Lymphoma. Her male cousin, died a few months prior, at the age of 3 from Spindle Cell Carcinoma. So I'm a little afraid of inline and inbred for this reason. I saw a lab breeder in the Ocala area that used Sires from outside their farm to prevent this, so was looking for same with Golden retriever (my kids don't want another lab....there was only one Lilly.) And I've searched some golden retriever breeders, but can't seem to find any that don't use their same dogs on their own farm.
JMO but a breeder can use the best stud dog for their bitch from anywhere in the country- there is not too often a good reason to use a dog that's also in the backyard with the girl...
to me, that is typically a red flag (not always but usually) that the breeder is breeding to what she doesn't have to pay a stud fee on...
doing that is not the typical MO of breeders of lovely Goldens in FL. In fact, if you look at the Central FL and South FL breeder lists posted earlier, probably at least 90% of the time you would not find them doing inbreeding or super close line breeding. And 90% of the time they will not own the stud dog (so you will not get to meet him). Cancers happen, no matter how careful a breeder is, or how careful new owners are with their yard chemicals, etc- and the reality is, your dogs died way too young and you will never know why... I don't know if you still have the papers on your past dogs, but if you do and want to zip them to me, there is a lab database too that would give you the COI on their individual pedigrees, which would tell you whether they were in fact very inbred or not- anyway- I would do that for you, if you can get me the papers to input. I'm sorry for your family's losses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JMO but a breeder can use the best stud dog for their bitch from anywhere in the country- there is not too often a good reason to use a dog that's also in the backyard with the girl...
to me, that is typically a red flag (not always but usually) that the breeder is breeding to what she doesn't have to pay a stud fee on...
doing that is not the typical MO of breeders of lovely Goldens in FL. In fact, if you look at the Central FL and South FL breeder lists posted earlier, probably at least 90% of the time you would not find them doing inbreeding or super close line breeding. And 90% of the time they will not own the stud dog (so you will not get to meet him). Cancers happen, no matter how careful a breeder is, or how careful new owners are with their yard chemicals, etc- and the reality is, your dogs died way too young and you will never know why... I don't know if you still have the papers on your past dogs, but if you do and want to zip them to me, there is a lab database too that would give you the COI on their individual pedigrees, which would tell you whether they were in fact very inbred or not- anyway- I would do that for you, if you can get me the papers to input. I'm sorry for your family's losses.

Thank you. Ok, I have a puppy application (which I apparently never sent to get her CKC?). Anyway, Sire is Tecate's Braveheart Silas and Dam is Rigdon Labradors Miss Sophie. I don't know how to load a pic of the form, but can give you any info off it you need/want-assuming this is the right form to begin with. We bought her from Leann and Keith Rigdon-it was called something like R& R farm? Up in Glen St. Mary, FL. Her cousin belonged to my boyfriend's brother and his wife; they bought 2 dogs from same breeder-and lived in another city, so likely not environmental.

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
I'm guessing that is the LAb's info-
I sent you a PM and asked you to scan me the paperwork you have so I can have all the info for the database- and I will send you back the link so you can input a photo, COD and DOd...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you tell me if your cousin's dogs that were purchased from Leanne Rigdon are healthy? Or did they too come down with cancer or something bad? I am considering buying a puppy from them and just came across this thread. Obviously now I'm hesitant to buy from them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts