Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty, layla is around 4 months old now and as rambunctious as ever. i also have a min-pin named lola who is around 3 and isn't the most out-going and social dog but a sweetheart nonetheless.

when layla was first brought home, lola avoided her like the plague. i've read all about the "puppy license" and how ill-mannered puppies are, causing older dogs to merely tolerate them.

however, layla is obviously getting bigger and her strong-arming, chasing, and toying with my older min-pin is starting to affect the little one. she's not playful anymore, eating less, more timid than ever, avoids the floor at all costs and only will stay in places the puppy can't reach.

i understand that layla is ONLY trying to play, but after nearly 3 months now, i would have thought she'd pick up on the fact that lola is not at all interested.

i've tried to time-out but it doesn't do any good. i've tried letting them 'work it out' but every situation just involves layla chasing lola while she growls the entire way to the top of the couch.

should i just remain persistent with separating them?

any suggestions would be appreciated. :(

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I would keep them seperated until Layla grows up a little. It's not fair for Lola to have to put up with that.

I'm having to keep my puppy seperated from my adult male for now. It is a pain, but not something I plan on doing forever, just until puppy gets out of his obnoxious stage.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would make sure to correct Layla and tell her to stop when she starts chasing ad playing rough with Lola. She needs to know what the boundaries are when playing. It might help to put a leash on Layla to stop her.
And make sure to give some one on one time with both starting with Lola so she doesnt feel 2nd best.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
We are still waiting for old Dream to put Layla in her place... even at a year old, Layla is quite a pest. We can usually get her to stop, but one of these days Dream is going to get her and leave a scar, just like she did to Hurley. Dream and Hurley are best friends now...sometimes you need to let them work it out.

Been there , done that, and still doing it LOL.

Good luck to you!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
We have to still give Lincoln time outs around Reno....he still does the wiggle bum thing in front of him while making his Chewbacca noises. Over the last month or so, we have been allowing Lincoln more time with Reno and Reno is becoming much more accepting of him. Reno has always had a soft spot for Austin so that's never been an issue. Reno and Lincoln have very different personalties!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts