Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking for a golden. We have contacted Heavenly Goldens in Southern California but have had difficulty finding out any references about them. Has anyone here bought their golden from this breeder?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Looking at their website, they do not give any information about their dogs that you need to know, like their registered names or a pedigree. Also there is no information about clearances. Unless you can get info about these things I would pass.

·
Banned
616 Posts
I would say a big fat No. SO many red flags I could start listing, but I don't have quite that much time...but one sentence from their website that really bothered me, "3 weeks before whelping, Moms start sleeping in the indoor kennels and their whelping boxes" Ok, so their dogs don't live in the house or even in Indoor kennels, period, but only when their bitches are about to give birth do they "get" to sleep in and indoor kennel...sorry, but goldens are very social and I can't imagine my boy sleeping outside without becoming neurotic. Sorry that one sentence alone would make me walk away, let alone the lack of health clearances, the lack of doing any competitions with their goldens at all, and the abundance of pictures of mothers whelping and lack of anything else, aside from always being outside covered in mud.

·
Registered
409 Posts
A few ads that popped up with the phone number for Heavenly Goldens:

An ad for a 19 month old boy:
We need to find him a home quickly to make room for new puppies.

Advertising one of their latest litters:
Our pups come with full certification so you can breed them and we will assist our clients when they are ready to breed

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Just FYI but there is a Heavenly Goldens here in FL that is very reputable (Tom & Joanne Hell). No connection between the other place in CA.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I've never heard of Heavenly Goldens in southern california and I live in southern california. One thing that totally irks me about their site is they brag A LOT about the number of champions in each pedigree, but apparently can't be bothered to compete with their dogs in any venue. But then they claim their dogs are "show quality." Uh, according to who?

More importantly, I also don't see anything about any health clearances on any of their dogs. And the conditions the dogs appear to be raised in don't look like somewhere I'd want to get a puppy, personally. I would pass.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much to everyone for this info. Something was just not feeling right about their add but I could not put my finger on the reasons.

So let me ask the question I probably should have started with. We are looking for a 1-2 year old male in the Southern California, Southern Nevada, Arizona area. Most of the ads we see are for puppies. Any advice on how to find what we are looking for or which breeders to contact?

·
Banned
616 Posts
I would suggest a rescue (if you are up for a little bit of work) there are a ton of goldens that need rescuing, especially in that age range. Otherwise, reputable breeders might have a dog this age from time to time, but you will most certainly have to wait. Contacting your local golden retriever club is a great start as they will give you names of great breeders and from there breeders are very helpful with spreading the word, of possible older puppies that didn't work out in show or for some reason won't be a candidate for a breeding program. (I'm in Maine, so I don't know of the local clubs in your area, but someone on here should).

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My concerns about a rescue dog (which we have been looking at for several months) are the health certs on hips, eyes, and heart. There is no way to know what the background on the dam and sire are and we risk getting attached to a dog and then finding out we are facing very expensive hip surgery. In fact without discounting for probability, a rescue dog is likely more expensive than a quality bred puppy since you can limit the puppy's risk by looking at the health certifications of its dam and sire.

There is no local Golden Retriever bred club here in Las Vegas. We have made an application with the rescue club and passed out home visit but there have not been any dogs close to what we are looking for available. We contacted other rescue organizations in adjacent states that seem to place more dogs and they are unwilling to consider people for adoption who live over about a 100 miles away.

We have talked to breeders but to date they have seemed only interested in selling their puppies which is understandable. But none has offered to help us find an older puppy.

We have started to look at field breeders but have been told that the field dogs are more active than most confirmation puppies and that field dog breeders do not pay as much attention to the health certs on hips, eyes, and heart. It seems that every time we try to broaden our search, new facts close that door.

If anyone knows of a breeder who has an older puppy (6 months +), please let me know and we will contact them.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I think that good field breeders DO the four clearances. I believe that field dogs have more energy and often have different coats, builds, etc.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I think that good field breeders DO the four clearances. I believe that field dogs have more energy and often have different coats, builds, etc.
Yes, good field breeders do the big four, and also do the genetic test for prcd-PRA (unless clear by parentage), and some are doing the Ichthyosis test as well, as carriers and affecteds have been found in field lines. And yes, they do tend to have a closer shorter coat (which I actually like as it is so easy to manage!) and a lot of energy. My youngest is partially field bred and she literally bounces through life--she could be a real handful in less experienced hands.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
And yes, they do tend to have a closer shorter coat (which I actually like as it is so easy to manage!) and a lot of energy. My youngest is partially field bred and she literally bounces through life--she could be a real handful in less experienced hands.

this describes my emmett to a T, his sire is a trowsnest dog, his sire has a SH and is working on his master and he comes from a long line of field dogs... I think our dogs might be related actually and he has a closer coat... but has nice furnishings but he also can be a handful in less experienced hands and I often think with horror what would have happened if he had gone to a pet home... he would totally rule the roost... a great great dog with a ton of drive and fun to work wiht but he definitely needs the right handler who has not only a sense of humor but is absolutely consistent at all times
s

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,598 Posts
I use to help one of the GR Rescues here in NC with Intakes, it closed earlier this year.

All the dogs that came into our Rescue received a VERY THOROUGH examination, which covered your concerns regarding hips, heart, elbow, etc. If any problems or medical conditions were discovered during the exam, the dogs received treatment or had surgery for whatever was necessary before they were cleared medically and available for adoption.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My concerns about a rescue dog (which we have been looking at for several months) are the health certs on hips, eyes, and heart. There is no way to know what the background on the dam and sire are and we risk getting attached to a dog and then finding out we are facing very expensive hip surgery. In fact without discounting for probability, a rescue dog is likely more expensive than a quality bred puppy since you can limit the puppy's risk by looking at the health certifications of its dam and sire.
I think these are very valid concerns, especially when you are talking about a young puppy. Since you are looking for a somewhat older dog, you can actually have the dog itself looked at (x-rayed, etc.) before making a commitment. That would be even MORE of a sure thing than a young puppy, even from good breeders. Unfortunately, sometimes even puppies from good breeders have issues (I have a youngster with elbow dysplasia from clear parents).

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
this describes my emmett to a T, his sire is a trowsnest dog, his sire has a SH and is working on his master and he comes from a long line of field dogs... I think our dogs might be related actually and he has a closer coat... but has nice furnishings but he also can be a handful in less experienced hands and I often think with horror what would have happened if he had gone to a pet home... he would totally rule the roost... a great great dog with a ton of drive and fun to work wiht but he definitely needs the right handler who has not only a sense of humor but is absolutely consistent at all times
s
I think they are distant cousins. Bonnie's mom is my Trowsnest MH girl who is a Posh granddaughter, and her dad Trey is FT breeding on one side, and Kyrie stuff going back to Whirly on the other. I got lots of GO in that litter and am thankful they are all in experienced hands. One girl ended up in as a family companion, but they have had field bred Goldens before so knew what to expect! I have a half-brother to Emmett's sire that I bred from the same girl. He has lots of go as well, but is among the calmer ones in my crew!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts