Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I recently lost my 14-year-old chocolate lab, and while it's been very tough, my partner and I are ready for a new family member. We are interested in getting a red golden as our next companion but are having some issues with finding a breeder in our area. We are looking to find a puppy in the March/April time frame.

We live in San Francisco but would be willing to fly or drive for the right puppy/breeder. Thanks for the help, and I look forward to sharing photos of our new puppy when we bring her home.

· Registered
45 Posts
Hi there, this forum is AMAZING!
I have learned so much since joining and I'm in constant awe of the knowledge and kindness shown here.
If I were you I'd be slightly more flexible on the time, like maybe plan for the fall or next spring? Most breeders have a very long wait list, so be prepared. That being said there's a pretty comprehensive list on here (I can't figure out how to link it) if you search Northern California breeders up on the search bar.

· Registered
40 Posts
There are lots of field golden breeders (those tend to be more red) in areas where hunting is more popular. Maybe you'd have better luck in Idaho or Oregon? There's also a FB group called Field Golden Retrievers on which people post litters with clearances and links to K9. That might be one place to start getting a sense of the different breeders that are out there.

I'd also like to add that if you are just looking for a red dog, you should know that field goldens are often much more active and need more exercise than a typical "show" type golden. I sort of stumbled into buying a field dog based on how pretty the dam was (she is very beautifully red : ) and it was a rough adjustment!

· Registered
2,814 Posts
Don't shop for color....that's the least important thing when buying a Golden Retriever puppy. Health and temperament are most important. A better option may be to study up on what constitutes an ethical reputable breeder and find a breeder or breeders that fit. Then research their programs and contact ones whose dogs you like. There is lots of info here on the forum to help you. Also The Canine Chasm is a great blog written by a member here that is very helpful.

· Registered
854 Posts
As Furdog said, read through this blog. Has tons of great info

· Registered
1,652 Posts
I have a dark golden (red) field bred and I have an FC/AFC bred boy that's medium. The field breedings get tagged for the dark colors, but honestly there are dark conformation dogs as well. We have two conformation breeders on here that I know have darker colored dogs. pick a dog that will fit your lifestyle and not one based on color. The color will not matter once you have the dog. If you're dead set on a color you need to first decide your activity and commitment level and then look at the parents of the litter. You are going to get a range of color in any litter based on the parents. If you're going to have a color preference you're going to have a much longer wait to get what you really want, unless you're putting color above everything else.

My two field breds are high energy. One has an amazing off switch and is a couch potato as long as he gets some exercise. He gets at least three hours a day of off leash exercise (when he's healthy). My other field bred has absolutely no off switch at this time. (out of FC/AFC Emberain Beau Geste) He's 100% on every minute, and it doesn't matter how much exercise he gets. He is not for the average house and he is not for the faint of heart. He is 9 months old and can run 100 yard marks over and over and never even breath heavy. I honestly need the weather to break here just to restore my sanity. I ran him yesterday three times in the pouring freezing rain and wind just to be able to keep up with him in the house. Is this typical? Not in my experience, but I was prepared for it. I love him and he does cuddle for a second in between adventures. I live on a farm with lots of room to run. I can't imagine the trouble he could get into without proper exercise and training. He's super independent.

My conformation boy can run right along with them but he calms down the instant he goes inside. He is easier to live with.

My dark boy had both dark parents (red). My light field bred had a dark (red) and a medium parent. My conformation boy had a light and a medium parent. Color wasn't a concern.

I will admit that if a really nice dark conformation boy ever comes available to me I would probably be excited. The color would still come way down the line after health, proof of versatility in the line, bone, pigment, structure, head, tail carriage, foot shape..... You get the idea. I'll probably have to start putting out feelers now to get one when I want one. Trust me with this puppy I am not in the market anytime soon! (shew) The funny part is that while he drives me a little crazy I look at all his crazy antics and all I see is potential. Keep in mind we bought him to be an addition to the family but with a true goal in mind, not just a pet.

Posting pics so you can hopefully see that there is more to choices then the color.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Gun dog

Cloud Sky Dog Plant Dog breed

· Registered
14 Posts
I agree if you're looking for a performance/competition dog. Emberain can have very long lists. I'm not sure either would consider a pet home with a color preference, and I mean absolutely no disrespect. Pet homes are the best homes as long as they know what they are getting into.
I was in contact with Emberain yesterday. They have nothing available and didn't offer any sire pairings although I asked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts