Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Great comments everyone, thanks.

About us: 16 month old purebred Golden Retriever. Fed him Royal Canin Golden Retriever Puppy until 15 months (our vet’s advice), then transitioned to Royal Canin Golden Retriever Adult food (vet’s advice). He’s healthy minus an allergic reaction this summer (don’t know to what) + a yeast infection last winter +2 bouts of worms (he ate a rabbit). He’s on probiotics now to restore his intestinal flora and I expect it’ll clear up the allergic reaction as well.

Don’t know much about dog food: I can’t tell if freeze-dried kibble is better than extrusion or slow baked, grain-free vs. with grain...I prefer natural when possible but want a dry kibble to complement his raw food and raw treats, especially when we travel (so our dog sitter won’t have to deal with raw).

First Mate from BC looks good, so does Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Primal Freeze-Dried. Will look up Horizon, Inukshuk and Nutram. Canadian (human) food standards are high but I don’t know anything about pet food standards. Doesn’t have to be Canadian but I live in Ottawa and just want a high quality food that I can buy locally or online without importing it from the US (extra duty fees).

I don’t know enough about the nutritional requirements for a healthy golden retriever (e.g. I read about calcium to prevent hip dysplasia) and I no longer trust that vet’s advice so I’m teaching myself but we need to order food soon. Looking for hep! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,348 Posts
Lori Abrams-I moved your post into a thread of it's own in the same section as the thread you posted in, the Nutrition, Feeding and Recipe Section.

The thread your post was in was 7 years old, I moved it so you would get more views/replies.

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
You should definitely read the threads at the top of this section about grain-free and DCM.

Basically, you just want to feed a good, balanced, high quality food, that has been developed by veterinary nutritionists and tested over decades. Pro Plan, Eukanuba, etc. Those are foods that many people who compete their dogs in various dog sports have found to be tried and true.

FWIW, I live in Toronto. All the major brands are readily available - we just have fewer varieties (ie. there are several different Pro Plan Sport formulas available in the US, but only one in Canada). I think there are two Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formulas in the US (a lamb based and a salmon based) but there is only one (the salmon one) here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts