Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started going to all types of places with Faelan looking for friendly strangers to work the Stand for Exam. Today I am off so I went to out local Petco doing some work inside then I went outside to work some more exercises.

One girl stopped and so I asked if she'd help train my dog - she was hesitant since she really doesn't know much about obedience but happily agreed once she realized she just needed to pat my dog.

So I put Faelan into a stand, and walk 6 feet away and tell this girl okay, can you pat him now - just lightly on the shoulders and back. So she pats him, them pets him, then starts scritching his ears :) Faelan starts leaning into her but never did move a paw LOL I thought it was wonderful proofing and was really proud of Faelan but am wondering how others describe the actual 'exam' to friendly strangers?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Oh Teddi would fail this EVERY time. Just yesterday we went outside to take the dogs to the dog wash. Teddi sees a person walking A BLOCK AWAY!!!! She take off (crosses the street :doh: bad dog) to say hi! People are her weakness. I need to work more on that. However I need to be rough and I am not sure I want to do that either. sigh

Ann

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
LOL I thought it was wonderful proofing and was really proud of Faelan but am wondering how others describe the actual 'exam' to friendly strangers?
I really don't describe the exam part when I use strangers - when I've taken the time to really explain folks tend to be really worried about "breaking" the show dog...By the time I'm proofing with strangers at weird places my dogs have a really good understanding of the stand for exam routine...I've had strangers with no show experience go all breed-ring on my dogs too (which is a bit odd). I do consider it proofing. If they (particularly Teller) can stand still while a little girl (6-10 are their favorites) pats them, scratches them and loves on them, then certainly they will understand their job when it's time for a judge to examine them...

If you're concerned ask the person to "just touch his head, his shoulders and his butt" while acting it out with your dog in heel position.

Erica

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
When proofing the stand I just show the people exactly what I want and then everyone is usually okay with it.
Good luck!
Michelle & Titan

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I also just demonstrate it.

My very dog savvy-but-in-other-sports are super worried about messing my dog up and I just smile and say "It's okay...you really can't break him!"

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I've given up trying to get non-obedience people to do exams if the dog isn't totally steady and confident yet. It doesn't matter how much you show or explain it to them, they just don't seem to get it. For a steady dog that just needs proofing though, I figure it doesn't matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts