Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have begun search for an English style golden pup. Have found several possibilities including a litter due late June at Tanglewood goldens but would like a pup sooner if possible. Some of the breeders we have checked don't do OFA hips and elbows but use BVA. Is that OK and can this be verified? Have found one breeder with 2 litters just born but can't find clearances -- Trained Pet, Companion and Therapy Golden Retriever Puppies| Camelot House Retrievers and price is extremely high. Is this someone we should check out further? Why would their price be so much higher than others we have heard about?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I just saw this at the website and looked no further. "All puppies will stay with us until they are 12 weeks of age. You do have the option to enroll your puppy in our extensive socialization program." That is a MASSIVE red flag for me. All responsible breeders socialize EVERY single puppy they breed, not just the ones whose owners pay extra. I would run!

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Mindy and Jack are not old enough for clearances. Mindy Prelim'd Fair, and I have seen too many Fair Prelims end up not passing final clearances.

Jack is the sire of Elin's litter as well.

This is a ridiculous amount of money for these litters. I would recommend you keep looking.

Try English Goldens in North America - Litters - Breeders - Stud Dogs for information and some leads. Check out the stud dogs and see if they have been bred to any girls recently.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I just want to point out that this is not Camelot owned by Pat Herschman. Pat is a very reputable breeder and I would recommend her pups to anyone.

Reactions: Tahnee GR

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Did I read that right? Pet dogs are $5500? I can't come up with any reason to charge that much other than that they are capitalizing on the fact that they can find folks who will pay for a "white" GR. Move on!

·
Registered
119 Posts
You might want to contact Patti Covert (Acadia Goldens) near Pinehurst. She doesn't have a huge operation, but she's well-regarded and her dogs are well-bred and have all the certs. Also, BVA is also well-respected as the major ortho evaluator in the UK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the link no longer working, I did some searching for the owner of the domain of camelothouseretrievers.com. Her name is Kimberly Paciotti and her business name is Training Canines (trainingcanines.com) STATS∞ - CAMELOTHOUSERETRIEVERS.COM Domain Name Info

It looks like she has three breeders that she raises puppies for them and then sells the puppies. Does anyone have any thoughts on the set up of trainingcanines.com and the three breeders? Seems like her cost is over the top and I'm wondering if she is basically a puppy broker.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
She's involved with the Recherché goldens people (every time I go away to search for a link I have to retype so just put that name in the search bar) and MarcysGoldens is one of her puppy suppliers Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums - View Single Post - Looking for 'white' english cream breeder in NC or PA and ultimately, yes, she is a broker who buys entire litters from marginal breeders and has followed the Recherché model which is insane. It doesn't get anyone a good well socialized puppy who's with his breeder who's socializing the litter well.. because breeder's just going to turn them over to the broker who's going to upcharge a pretty penny for training.
I'm interested in how this area of NC is such a nest of this sort of Golden market- so sketchy. I can think of 3 such puppy warehousers in this area...

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
She's involved with the Recherché goldens people (every time I go away to search for a link I have to retype so just put that name in the search bar) and MarcysGoldens is one of her puppy suppliers Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums - View Single Post - Looking for 'white' english cream breeder in NC or PA and ultimately, yes, she is a broker who buys entire litters from marginal breeders and has followed the Recherché model which is insane. It doesn't get anyone a good well socialized puppy who's with his breeder who's socializing the litter well.. because breeder's just going to turn them over to the broker who's going to upcharge a pretty penny for training.
I'm interested in how this area of NC is such a nest of this sort of Golden market- so sketchy. I can think of 3 such puppy warehousers in this area...
You know, my family is from NC, and so I've been tuned into the searching in NC threads, and it's something I've noticed with dismay myself. If I were in the market and lived in NC, I'd be expanding my search outside of NC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally Posted by Prism Goldens

·
goldenfan
695 Posts
BVA results can be verified on the UK kennel club site of you have the registered name of the dog if they are owned in the UK. I am not sure if they are listed if the dog live abroad. We can also look up litter brother and sisters parents and that includes Hips elbows eyes and PRA results. Dogs in the UK and under the BVA scheme have their hips and elbows evaluated once they are over a year old. Annef

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
How do you buy a therapy dog? That is crazy!
I must agree I have a rescue Golden that I trained myself and the put her thru the therapy dog class. A therapy dog must be trained with you IMHO You're the one that will handle the dog and you need to know what to do also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts