Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have followed your forums for awhile now and just decided to make an account. I'm hoping you guys can help steer me towards some good Golden Breeders in the Northern Virginia area. Unfortunately, this Christmas I lost my best friend and have been heart broken ever since. Although I'm not ready for another Golden at the moment, I plan on getting a new pup late this spring or early summer. Any and all help is MUCH appreciated. I have already reached out to the Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club and haven't gotten much help up to this point.

Thank you guys for the help!

Attachments

·
Kristy
10,430 Posts
Hey, I'm sorry for your loss. Unfortunately most of us here have been in your place and understand what you're going through. You might like to share some stories of your buddy with us when you're ready - sometimes it helps.

You are not too early on starting your puppy search, this is actually right on time to get a puppy toward the end of the year. A lot of thought and pre-planning goes into a good breeder's puppies. The females only comes into season every 6 to 9 months and if they're pregnant for 2 months and then the puppies are going to need two months to grow, well, it's a process. Opening yourself up to traveling for a puppy will make your search a lot easier also. I've flown for a puppy twice and it's pretty easy.

Not sure when you've started messaging Potomac Valley but this is the busiest time of the year for a lot of people, and that club is hosting the Golden Retriever National show this year so it maybe that they are even busier than most. Did you try an individual breeders or just the puppy contact for the club?

It's helpful if you give us a little information about what you're wanting to do with your Golden, training plans etc. to help with suggestions. Have you read up on health clearances etc. on the main club website? GRCA.org is a great place to start and the more informed you are, the less likely you are to be taken advantage of by a less than ideal breeder.

Here are my suggestions, check any of these kennel names on Facebook as well, or search the people's names associated with them. You will find that many breeders (who are typically a bit older) find it easier to keep a presence on Facebook either under their personal or kennel name. It's not as much trouble as keeping a website updated.

Check the websites carefully and see if they indicate a preference for phone calls, if so, call. Keep a notebook so you can keep everything clear in your mind. Hobby breeders are just people with jobs and friends and families etc. so don't be discouraged if you don't hear back, keep trying. Try to get a dialogue going with someone even if they don't have a litter planned on your time frame. Word of mouth is a wonderful way to get a referral. Ask them if they have any suggestions for you.

No matter who the breeder is or how you are referred, ALWAYS ask about clearances, why they are breeding the litter, what they are hoping to produce in their puppies, where and how are their puppies raised and socialized - in the house? for how many weeks? etc.

Gunpowder River GRC Puppy Referral Volunteer is:
Ginny Boyle
[email protected]
410-452-5333

Chesapeake GRC
[email protected]
Also, a link to email info for board members: Chesapeake Golden Retriever Club: Club Officers

New Jersey: For NJPBGRC Puppy Referrals please call: Raymond and Alice Heiser 732-363-2407

Special Events Sponsored by Gunpowder River Golden Retriever Club Of Maryland - Baltimore - Baltimore City - Greater Baltimore Area - Maryland

Home of Wagntail Goldens

Sunkota Golden Retrievers

Golden Retriever Breeders Virginia - ELDORADO GOLDEN RETRIEVERS - Golden Retriever Puppies Virginia - Golden Retriever Puppies Richmond Virginia Area - eldoradogoldens.com - [email protected]

Top Hat Golden Retrievers - Home Page

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kristy for the input!

I'm defintiely looking for one to be a family a dog. We're big into the outdoors, etc. We trained our two previous Goldens with just the everyday sort of training, a lot of off leash work, etc. NOt looking to have a working/hunting dog and won't be training them to that degree. More than likely will be sticking with a female golden as well.

I've actually found a couple of those breeders on my own but wasn't sure what the consensus on them is. We've been out of looking for a pup for so long that I figured I'd go to the pros haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi guys, I have followed your forums for awhile now and just decided to make an account. I'm hoping you guys can help steer me towards some good Golden Breeders in the Northern Virginia area. Unfortunately, this Christmas I lost my best friend and have been heart broken ever since. Although I'm not ready for another Golden at the moment, I plan on getting a new pup late this spring or early summer. Any and all help is MUCH appreciated. I have already reached out to the Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club and haven't gotten much help up to this point.

Thank you guys for the help!
I was wondering if you found a breeder/pup? I lost my Koby just this week, and though not ready for another yet, I do want to start looking since I understand there may be quite a waiting list at some. I'm in Virginia as well, though have no problem travelling, within reason.

Hope you found your perfect puppy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts