Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We are looking to pet 2 golden retriever puppies .. looking for a reputable breeder in Connecticut. We live in Milford Connecticut. First time dog owners . Please suggest breeders in Connecticut or Massachusetts or New York
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,494 Posts
Welcome. You've found an excellent place to begin your search.

I great place to begin is on the GRCA website:

There are also numerous existing threads on the Forum with lots of helpful information. I would suggest typing search terms into the "Search Community" window such as "breeders in the Northeast."

I am sure more members will chime in.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hi
We are looking to pet 2 golden retriever puppies .. looking for a reputable breeder in Connecticut. We live in Milford Connecticut. First time dog owners . Please suggest breeders in Connecticut or Massachusetts or New York
Thanks
Getting two puppies at the same time is generally not recommended and really not recommended for first time dog owners. Puppies are literally infants when you first get them. They need near constant supervision, trips outside at night for potty time until they can reasonably be expected to hold their bladder for 8 hours, hours upon hours of training, patience for the landshark biting phase... raising one golden retriever puppy requires an enormous amount of time and effort. I can't even imagine trying to raise two at the same time. Also, you may want to look into doggy daycares in your area unless you're sure you're able to devote about 2 hours every day to exercising your dog. Goldens are bred to be working dogs and need a lot of exercise.

The other major reason getting two puppies at the same time is a bad idea is that there is something referred to as "littermate syndrome". Here's a link to an article about it - LITTERMATE SYNDROME | Suburban K9

When looking for a golden retriever breeder you want to find one that tests the parents for genetic diseases that are common in golden retrievers. That includes hip and elbow ratings through an organization called OFA, heart clearance through a veterinary cardiologist (not just a regular vet), and yearly eye clearances. The results for these tests can be found on the OFA website when you search for the sire and dam. You can google how to read the results or you can post the name of the dam and sire on this website and people here will tell you if the results are good enough for the dog to be bred.

The two breeders in Connecticut that I'm most interested in for a second dog are Abalee Goldens and Overlook Goldens (though they may be in New York now I'm not sure).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts