Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Momma to Bodhi
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

My name is Kim and my family & I are looking to add a golden pup to our home. We're looking for a lovable family companion & we're super excited to get the breeder selection process started!

I've contacted a few breeders in New England & have done my best to research them but I must admit, it can be a bit overwhealming.
I was hoping I could get some recs from some of you here on the board.

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Kim

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I'm glad you are doing your research. I'm located in Maine and when I was looking for a golden I contacted the Pine Tree Golden Retriever Club http://www.ptgrc.org/ They were very helpful and were very familiar with the local breeders. I did end up going with a different breeder because none of the ones recommended had puppies ready in the near future. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I'm also in Maine and I think that the breeder we got our boys from is planning a litter in the spring/early summer. I don't know when exactly, but I do know that they are planning on breeding Tucker's mom one last time before they retire her from breeding. It should be within the next few months. Feel free to PM me if you want her contact info.

·
Momma to Bodhi
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I haven't contacted the Pine Tree Golden Retriever Club but I did contact a Yankee Golden Retriever Club Breeder Referral Volunteer & got 4 referrals. I spoke with 2 & one has puppies available & I really like what I heard when we spoke over the phone but I wanted to still check with ya'll on here. I'm hoping to visit with them within the next week.

Would it be ok if I were to post her breeder name & ask if anyone here has any experience with them? I don't want to cross any lines?

Thanks!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Feel free to post a kennel name...there are some very nice kennels in the States you listed...there are also bad ones that know how to market themselves well.
You may find out more then you want to know....so be prepared...

My personal best advice is:
  • Be prepared to be patient....Try not to be on a timeline...and
  • DONT visit puppies until AFTER you have done your research.

·
Momma to Bodhi
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Again!

Just wanted to update this & let you all know that we are still on the hunt for our puppy son. We've tried all of the breeders listed above and non have boys available & we really had our hearts set on a boy.

I'd appreciate any other recs you guys have.

Thanks,
Kim

·
Registered
2 Posts
breeders in Massachusetts

I personally would not get a dog from Yukon. We visited them and I came away very shaken. It was an entirely different experience from our visits to other breeders. Every puppy we held was adorable and fluffy...but they all whimpered, yelped or seemed scared. The breeder at Yukon pushed for money down that day. I asked for a contract and information which she promptly pulled out of my hand once I said we wanted to discuss and let her know in the morning.

Charlene's, the breeder, main focus seemed to be getting paid....how and when. There are many breeders out there who breed beautiful, healthy dogs AND care about them. She didn't seem to have the same affection for the puppies that the other breeders we visited did. Other breeders also had more of an interest in us...they wanted to make sure their puppy was going to a good home.

In my opinion, it is extremely important to visit litters from 3 or four different breeders. Titles and Champion lines alone don't cut it in my estimation. We found the right puppy for us...long line of Champions, all health clearances, and a breeder who wanted to make sure we cared for the puppy as much as she would. The breeder, we ended up with also shows dogs as Charlene from Yukon does.

On paper,so to speak, Yukon Goldens appears reputable ....some on this forum have recommended them (based on seeing their show dogs, but not having personal knowledge beyond that). I agree with a poster who stated that some breeders know how to market themselves and are not what they seem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny abbywin.....but you just joined yesterday and your 2 post are all about me....and you are from Winchester MA......is that near Billerica?.....on a witch hunt are you??? Use your real name....don't hide behind a screen name...

You are soooo far from the truth.....I have my masters degree in Health care administration and I do this because I love it.....I don;t make any money......look at my tax returns- that will show you :( ...my husband's job allows me to stay home with my puppies.....

I tell so many people that come through here that I don;t care if you buy a puppy from me....I always find great homes for my puppies....If you have qny questions.....about anything ......please call me...

I am home full time- my puppies are all well socialized....with kids....adults and other dogs....they are never scared or wimpering or yelping....they do howl which is adorable!!! because they are all spoiled and want to be held.......you must have me confused with another breeder....as a matter of fact people tell me what great dogs I have....Come and Visit- anytime.....you will see what great care my dogs get....they are taken care of better than most kids.....I sleep great at night knowing that my puppies are in great homes....

as far as a contract....I show that at 4 weeks old when people come to visit....I allow them to take it home and if they are interested sign it and mail it back within a couple days....

Maybe I didn;t feel you were right for one of my puppies...after talking with you.....but I would never be rude....If I don;t think you are right for a puppy I tell you to go home and think about it because it is a BIG decision...

I don;t live off my puppy money....it goes right back into the care of the dogs....

I just find it funny how you just joined yesterday and you are right on the attack against me......

it is never about being paid....a personal check is due 2 weeks prior to pickup or cash upon picking up the puppy....neither one matters to me.....most breeders want cash only on pickup- I know some people don;t like to carry cash, myself included so I give them the option......

My husband and I never go on vacation because nobody takes care of my dogs like I do.....:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts