Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a puppy(or older dog ) and have talked to a few breeders, but so far not much luck. I am looking for a dog for therapy work and also as a family dog, so mellow, med energy. I found one at SapphireGoldens, but there was no info on the website about the mother(SapphiresIrishBFF) and she did not have any eye clearances listed. Also, the grandmother of the dog is not listed anywhere in order to verify clearances. ( The father and lines are great) Does anyone know anything about this breeder or her dogs and have any suggestions?( Looking to take home by end of January):crossfing Thank You!

·
Banned
616 Posts
I couldn't find any clearances for Sombra, and according to their website she only has "prelim" hips and no elbows, which is not acceptable; and her heart clearance that they claim doesn't show up on the OFA website, and neither does her eyes clearance. I think I would pass, unless there was a significant amount of information I am missing, by searching her AKC# through OFA, which usually isn't the case. Her pedigree looks good, although, even the best pedigrees can produce health problems, so it is oh so important to diligently search those health clearances.
The basics:
Hips and elbows MUST be done after the age of 2 years
Eyes must be done yearly and by a board certified opthamologist
hearts must be completed after 12 months and by a board certified Cardiologist.

Again, looking 3-5 generations back for these clearances is very important.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!

Thank you for the info. The mother was not Sombra, but Kasey. This breeder has 2 litters now, and the second was the Sombra litter. Same problem with both, no clearances or info. I was hoping I was wrong, as the timing was great to have a pup in house by the end of the year, but I dont want to take a chance and it was good to hear it from someone. My last golden, Mackenzie, had every problem you could think of, but was still the best dog I could ever ask for. I just dont want to go through that if it can be avoided. Guess I will keep looking!:wave:

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I second Twin-Beau-D's.

My Brady will be 5 on Nov 26 and he is in my avator. I could not have asked for a better dog and healthy too. He has all the qualities a therapy dog would need.

My vet here in Kansas City has told me that he is the best dog temperament, health and looks wise that she has ever met.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
You can also contact Yankee Golden Retriever Club for referrals. Theresa Stremlau/Sunnyglen Goldens in Arlington is a good resource.

Reactions: Kebagirl

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
may have found breeder in ME-Goldreams?

Thanks to all for the replys.I was in contact yesterday with Patty Richards of Goldreams Kennel in Jay, ME. She has 8 week old females available. Clearances looked good,other than some fair ratings onsome of the dogs hips which I dont know if that is ok or not. The only one that did not come up (eyes on the mother)she provided right away. I am hoping to put in a application today, and was hoping someone might have some info about her or her dogs. So far she seems to have done everything right, and I dont mind the distance(3 hours one way) for the right dog. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Banned
616 Posts
Fair is passing, there is absolutely nothing to worry about in that regard. If she provided the eye clearances within the last 12 months for both parents. I think you are good to go. She is active with her dogs too, I think that is a very good choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
golden dreams update

Put in application and got the ok from Patty to come up and see and hopefully bring home a puppy next Saturday. Had a good conversation on phone and feel really good about her as a choice of breeder based on everything I heard. We are very excited to be close to adopting our next golden! Thanks again for all the info and support and I will of course keep updating.;)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
You should be happy... I have met the daddy and he is a handsome, sweet dog. One of my friends, who wanted a dog from me (not enough to go around) is getting a girl,also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to thank everyone for the help in finding our beautiful girl, Ecco. She is a wonderful pup and doing very well. Our breeder,Patty, suggested a holistic vet, and I was wonder if anyone has any experience with that. I found one and spoke to her and it seems like a great option, but would welcome any advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Kebagirl I live in Lowell, MA as well and small world about 2 weeks ago I got a pup
From Patty at Goldreams. I wonder if they are littermates and if you want to have a puppy
Playdate sometime? The Dad of the litter is Henry and momma Willow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi! I just posted to you on another thread. They are littermates,from Henry/Willow. Patty told us there was someone else from Lowell. My email is [email protected] if you want to keep in touch. We are in Pawtuckettville along the river. Wondering if you are going the holistic vet route also and how your boy is doing. I am sure they would love to see each other so write to my email or here. Nice to have found her brother!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Hi Patty!

Henry has one of the best temperaments ever, along with his physical beauty.

Reactions: goldreams
1 - 17 of 17 Posts