Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! After months of weighing the decision, my girlfriend and I have recently decided that we are ready to bring a new four legged friend into our lives. We have raised and been around dogs our entire lives, but this is our first go with breeders and all the factors associated. We came across Windy Knoll Goldens after much research, and the timing of one of their upcoming litters aligns perfectly with our timeline. Does anyone happen to have any experience with this breeder, if not, is there anything on their website that jumps out as a red flag? windyknollgoldens.com

Other than requesting documentation for Hip, Elbow, Eyes, and Heart clearances, is there anything else we should keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi everyone! After months of weighing the decision, my girlfriend and I have recently decided that we are ready to bring a new four legged friend into our lives. We have raised and been around dogs our entire lives, but this is our first go with breeders and all the factors associated. We came across Windy Knoll Goldens after much research, and the timing of one of their upcoming litters aligns perfectly with our timeline. Does anyone happen to have any experience with this breeder, if not, is there anything on their website that jumps out as a red flag? windyknollgoldens.com

Other than requesting documentation for Hip, Elbow, Eyes, and Heart clearances, is there anything else we should keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Super Moderator
884 Posts
I merged your threads together and moved the thread to a section of the forum where you will likely get more responses. Welcome to the forum!

I do know of Windy Knoll Goldens...they are located semi-locally to where I live. Their clearances are all over the place and they are always pumping out litter after litter. Puppies are raised in out buildings/kennels. It is a business for them and there is no way they can properly socialize and spend time with each litter like they should, because they have several always at a time. They do not follow the Code of Ethics, and for the price you could do SO much better (they are way over charging for what you are getting). Plus you can reserve a puppy online which tells me they don't really screen who their puppies go home with, and their NuVet only warranty is in place so they can continue to get kick-backs and profiting from you buying those products.

In New England there are many reputable breeders to choose from. It is worth it to wait for a healthy and well socialized puppy from health tested parents from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
361 Posts
As EmmDenn said, New England is FULL of great, reputable breeders (Windy Knoll is not one of them). I recommend using the search bar for the forum and search on "New England Breeders" and you should get quite a few threads with recommendations. I'm also aware of two breeders I would recommend who have or are planning litters. I don't know if they have or will have available pups, but I'll try to PM you with the kennel names so you can reach out and see. If they don't, be sure to ask for recommendations... sometimes word of mouth is the best way to find both reputable breeders and upcoming litters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As EmmDenn said, New England is FULL of great, reputable breeders (Windy Knoll is not one of them). I recommend using the search bar for the forum and search on "New England Breeders" and you should get quite a few threads with recommendations. I'm also aware of two breeders I would recommend who have or are planning litters. I don't know if they have or will have available pups, but I'll try to PM you with the kennel names so you can reach out and see. If they don't, be sure to ask for recommendations... sometimes word of mouth is the best way to find both reputable breeders and upcoming litters.
Hi
I am in the same boat ... live in Connecticut... please pm me some breeders in and around ... thank you

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi
I am in the same boat ... live in Connecticut... please pm me some breeders in and around ... thank you
I'm happy to send you the two names I sent the OP, but your best bet is to search the forum for threads about "New England breeders" or "Connecticut breeders," etc. As noted, New England is full of great breeders - when I did my own search a few years ago I ID'd and researched over 30 of them... and those were just reputable ones with websites!

I'd also recommend doing some reading here on the forum (I think there may be some pinned posts for this "Choosing a Golden Retriever breeder & puppy" sub-forum) on what exactly makes a "good" breeder... because for every one "good" breeder there are probably 3 that are NOT breeders you want to do business with... Although we're happy to vet specific breeder's websites and dogs for you (within reason and to the best of our ability), it would be helpful if you weed out the puppy mills and backyard breeders and other "greeders" yourself first... Note that a search on the forum for a particular kennel name may also bring up threads about those breeders who may have been asked about in the past.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm happy to send you the two names I sent the OP, but your best bet is to search the forum for threads about "New England breeders" or "Connecticut breeders," etc. As noted, New England is full of great breeders - when I did my own search a few years ago I ID'd and researched over 30 of them... and those were just reputable ones with websites!

I'd also recommend doing some reading here on the forum (I think there may be some pinned posts for this "Choosing a Golden Retriever breeder & puppy" sub-forum) on what exactly makes a "good" breeder... because for every one "good" breeder there are probably 3 that are NOT breeders you want to do business with... Although we're happy to vet specific breeder's websites and dogs for you (within reason and to the best of our ability), it would be helpful if you weed out the puppy mills and backyard breeders and other "greeders" yourself first... Note that a search on the forum for a particular kennel name may also bring up threads about those breeders who may have been asked about in the past.
thank you for all the information- I will definitely look into it
I will wait for your recommendation on breeder - please PM me
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Could I trouble you to send me the names of some New England breeders. How does one PM on this site?

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,197 Posts
Could I trouble you to send me the names of some New England breeders. How does one PM on this site?
To send a message to another member, click on their name to go to their profile, select "Start Conversation".

Type your message then start conversation-send.

Or you can hover over a member's avatar, their info comes up. At the bottom right you'll see "Message", click on it to send a PM.

·
Registered
361 Posts
OK, FWIW I'm going to list a few breeders below who were on my list to investigate when I was looking for a puppy a couple of years ago. IMPORTANT: I am not "recommending" any of these breeders! As far as I know they are reputable but you still need to do your own due diligence re clearances etc. This is just to give you a starting point of some breeders to research.

Also note: I am hearing from all my breeder friends, of all breeds, that they are being inundated with calls and emails asking about puppies. I think a lot of people are realizing that being stuck at home during the pandemic is a good time to be housebreaking a puppy! That said, most puppies (from reputable breeders) who are ready to go now or in the next few months have probably been spoken for for months if not years. If you are lucky, you are likely looking at summer, fall or later for puppies that have not yet even been conceived.

So here's my list (in no particular order). Note that this list doesn't even scratch the surface of good breeders in New England, so hopefully others will chime in to either add to it or let you know if there's a breeder in this list they do NOT consider reputable/responsible (see note above!). I have bolded names I have some personal experience with and feel comfortable sending people to.

Sunfire (active working dogs - probably too much dog for the average pet owner)
Eastshore
Brookshire
Colonial
Golden B Bear
Beaugeste
My Way
Goldiva
Greatbrook

Errigal
Goldensands
Huntinglane
Thornlea
Sunkissed
Abalee
Starquest
Pebwin
Foxrun
Astar
Cloverdale
Twin Beau D
Woodwind
Lazydaze
Cressida
Strawberry Fields
Starhill
Zen
Mystic
Harborview (PA)
Butternut
Saquish
Broadway
Stardust
JRS
Yukon
Rainyday
Royal River

I also found this thread that you may find helpful: So many breeders! Need some assistance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts