Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone :)

I am here seeking information for a future furry family member. We have had at least one dog in the family for the last 29 years but, strangely, they have all been Siberian Huskies. We started with one Husky as a gift to my fiance in 1981 that turned into decades of love for the breed. Sadly, last summer we were faced with the decision to put down our last Husky of 14yrs due to rapidly declining health issues.
That was a seriously tough time for us.

Now, after several months, we have tossed around the thought of another member. Since we aren't as young as we used to be and the snow and frigid temps aren't quite as inviting as they used to be, either (our Huskies never wanted to come inside once the ground turned white) we thought maybe it's time for something different.

I was thinking, and have been for a while, that a Golden might be the next choice for us. At first I put the thought aside and investigated other breeds but kept coming back to the Golden. Although we are somewhat active, we aren't like we used to be and enjoy some quiet time as well. We have a 4yr old granddaughter so a breed that is good with small children is a must and we don't need a guard dog. A companion and devoted family member is what we're thinking. All our dogs were "inside" dogs that spent time outside. Keep in mind that Huskies LOVE being outside so they spent a lot of time there and were more than happy to be left there (except for our last one, Kenai, who was more "mother hen" than Husky) ...but we would just as soon have them indoors.

We have also seriously considered a rescue dog but we live on an acre that is not fenced and every rescue organization requires a fenced yard. A puppy is more work but something we would surely consider but finding the right one is not something I'm sure I know enough about. I'm not even sure what to look for or ask when it comes to selecting a Golden puppy or finding a breeder.

Any advise would be openly welcomed.

Thank you,
Kyle

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize a large youtube window would pop up in the text.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have had quite a few Goldens and my sister had a Husky mix. Comparatively - the Goldens start off with more energy but after the puppy stage is over, I think the Golden will be mellower in the long run. You are thinking along the same lines that I would.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think a Golden would be a perfect fit for what you are wanting. Like mentioned above they have a fair amount of energy as a puppy but once that stage wears off you will never meet a more gentle, loving family dog.

I am sorry for your loss of Kenai, but I am curious did you use to live in Alaska or how did you come up with the name??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sorry for your loss of Kenai, but I am curious did you use to live in Alaska or how did you come up with the name??
Been there but have never lived there. Although we live in the midwest we are originally from Oregon and the Pacific Northwest is in our hearts. Besides, Kenai seemed more suited to a Husky that, say... Rover ;)

Thanks for the replies. :)

·
Kristy
9,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! I hope you will find lots of good info here to make the best decision for your family.

The search feature here is terrific if you use it to find old conversations about topics of interest. I would like to recommend that you try to visit a couple reputable breeders in your area and just treat it as a hands on fact finding mission to be sure you really are happy with the differences between the breed you're accustomed to living with and goldens. Goldens are really going to want to be with you all the time and do require close supervision with young kids due to their exuberant natures.

I wish you all the best in your search process! Keep us posted!

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
My two boys are pretty mellow fellows. My older male is 6 years old and the young one is almost 6 month old.
The thing with Golden Puppies are that they are VERY mouthy in the Puppy time while they had the Puppy teeth.
Now our young male is soooo much better already. He is almost through the teething stage and he doesn't chew inapropriate things anymore.
Also as long as he gets a walk every day he is good as gold.
We were gone Thanksgiving day for 7 hours and we left both dogs out free run in the house and doggydoor open and little Cooper was a Champ.
I was so proud of him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The search feature here is terrific......
I can't agree with you more. To be honest, I was excited to see a golden forum that had a lot of activity and I was on my way out the door so I didn't do much proof reading. I will certainly be doing some investigating.

Thanks, everyone, for the input!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Your girl was beautiful. Love her markings and great coat. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Kper

·
Registered
42 Posts
u wont regret getting a golden, even tho when they r puppys u will need patience, high energy, good luck :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts