Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Happy thanksgiving!

We have been looking to adopt an adult Golden and to that effect I have emailed multiple breeders. I have heard back from two and they have provided some information about the dogs and I have been able to locate some more from k9data. I don’t yet know how to read the results from k9data and interpret them. So requesting help from the community :)

Option 1:
Kennel: Dandelion Meadow farms
Dog: Lexi (Lexi)
k9data/OFA: Nothing that I could find
My research/questions: She has already had 2 surgeries for OCD in one shoulder. She has resource guarding tendencies (plus chicken incidents) and I feel that with a young kid, this might not be the best dog for us.

Option 2:
Kennel: KP Golden Retrievers (Our Dogs)
Dog: KP's Chargin Up the Paddles (Fib). She has an HRC Started title as per the breeder)
K9data: Pedigree: KP's Chargin up The Paddles
OFA: Advanced Search | OFA
My research/questions: I don’t see any elbow and hips information. Although it’s possible those results are still to be uploaded Because her sister from the same litter (KP’s Gunna Call a Code Advanced Search | OFA) just had a bunch of results listed in the last week or so. I am going to ask her more questions about missing test results soon.

I don’t know anough about any of these tests or the breeder to know if these dogs are healthy and/or current health issues don’t necessary indicate big troubles down the line.

It would be of great help to me if someone can help me figure out if I should move forward or not. Also, what further questions I should ask?

Thanks a lot in advance for all the help :)

·
the party's crashing us
4,806 Posts
Big nope for me on Lexi. Asking for trouble.

Fib could be a great companion, she could also be super high energy. She has a very nice field pedigree. She just turned two so may not have had health testing yet. I would pursue this one, but please meet the dog and see if her energy level meets your lifestyle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big nope for me on Lexi. Asking for trouble.

Fib could be a great companion, she could also be super high energy. She has a very nice field pedigree. She just turned two so may not have had health testing yet. I would pursue this one, but please meet the dog and see if her energy level meets your lifestyle.
Thank you for the input. Yes, I’m very apprehensive about Lexi because two surgeries at such a young age is not something I am comfortable with.

I will get more information on Fib. Yes, her being in HRC could mean she is very high energy field pup and that might not translate to a comfortable pet life with few walks a day.

·
Super Moderator
938 Posts
I agree with Anney. I would just emphasize that the energy level of Fib could be too much, especially for inexperienced owners.

For a little reference, I have a conformation line girl and she needs 1-2 daily one-hour off leash walks (trails, woods, beach, etc.) with plenty of retrieving, just to keep her content (not necessarily tired). That’s on top of various mentally stimulating activities and training sessions each day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Anney. I would just emphasize that the energy level of Fib could be too much, especially for inexperienced owners.

For a little reference, I have a conformation line girl and she needs 1-2 daily one-hour off leash walks (trails, woods, beach, etc.) with plenty of retrieving, just to keep her content (not necessarily tired). That’s on top of various mentally stimulating activities and training sessions each day.
Thank you. I am definitely going to ask the breeder about energy levels as I am absolutely 100% sure that if the needs of the pup are much more than what I can provide then we would have to pass on this particular pup.
Every pup deserves to be happy and if walks and yard play and mental stimulation is not enough for a pup then it's just not the right fit.

However, the reason I bumped is because I'm concerned about k9data and ofa results or lack thereof. Is there someone else I need to look or something else I can do to find more information. I asked the breeder to send health test results before we do a call post thanksgiving but she just mentioned that the results should be on k9data.

·
Super Moderator
938 Posts
Thank you. I am definitely going to ask the breeder about energy levels as I am absolutely 100% sure that if the needs of the pup are much more than what I can provide then we would have to pass on this particular pup.
Every pup deserves to be happy and if walks and yard play and mental stimulation is not enough for a pup then it's just not the right fit.

However, the reason I bumped is because I'm concerned about k9data and ofa results or lack thereof. Is there someone else I need to look or something else I can do to find more information. I asked the breeder to send health test results before we do a call post thanksgiving but she just mentioned that the results should be on k9data.
There are only eyes on OFA. K9data claims that all of the genetics are done as well. Given that she is just over 2 and they are rehoming her, it’s not a surprise that they haven’t done the other tests.

99% of pets are untested so it’s mostly just an expense for the breeder at this point. You’re taking the same risk as buying a puppy — in both cases, you know the clearances of the parents but not your individual dog.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts

The second one may not have had hips/elbows. It might be that breeder kept two and is now placing one, or maybe she did get hips/elbows and didn't pass- no way to know without asking.
Realize hips/elbows can be quite costly to do depending on where one lives.
While I appreciate the honesty on Lexi- no. Asking for issues.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A little off-topic, but Django just completed his GRHRCH this year, correct? I think I remember seeing his name out there quite a bit at the Fall Grand. He's almost ten years old and still has the drive to compete at that level, if I'm correct, which is wildly impressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts