Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am looking to get some advice on what type of crate is best for car travel. I have a Ford Explorer SUV with a 3rd row of seats that I keep folded down to allow for more trunk space. I am looking for a crate that is possibly narrower than the standard wire crate because I have a large baby stroller that I also need to fit back there. I am thinking a plastic crate or mesh type crate is best because if my dog goes swimming it will be easier to contain the water/dampness more than a wire crate would.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I am also concerned that a 36inch will be tight but should "just fit."

Hmm... after writing this I am now wondering if I should just get a barrier and block off the trunk area. I do want my dog to be safe in the car though....

Oh and it's not possible to have the dog sit in backseat in a seat belt because I have a 7 month old son who's carseat is in the middle of the row and as I'm sure you can imagine, that would not be a good idea .

Any advice? How do you travel with your dog especially if you have young children?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Midwest makes special SUV crates that are normal lengths (36" and 42" I think), but narrower. They are wire. I'm not sure anyone makes a narrow mesh or plastic crate.

I feel the safest with my girls in crates, especially when I have the baby with me. The girls and I were in an accident a couple of years ago and they were just fine in their crates (the crates not so much...). Stuff flew everywhere. It's much better for them to be confined to a crate!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts