Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for a reputable breeder preferably on the east coast who may have an older dog available (between 1-3 years of age).

I am disabled and searching for a physically and temperamentally sound dog that will finish training as a service dog for me. Unfortunately, I have been quite unsuccessful pursuing a dog from an organization, so I am working with a private trainer now.

If you have any recommendations, would you kindly let me know? I'm open to breed, but am considering a Golden Retriever or a mix (golden/poodle cross) primarily.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have feelers out in several rescues, but they were all pretty insistent that a dog meeting my criteria rarely passes through. Additionally, the dog will need to have had x-rays (joints, hips) and we are more comfortable knowing the pedigree of the dog.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree that you have a pretty tall order for the Northeast. You might have better luck if you were to expand your search to the South. Forum members have been able to arrange some pretty amazing transports in the past if you need to get your new pup home.

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
If you contact Golden Retriever Club of Maine member Suzan Morris, she will be able to help you, for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that you have a pretty tall order for the Northeast. You might have better luck if you were to expand your search to the South. Forum members have been able to arrange some pretty amazing transports in the past if you need to get your new pup home.
I am definitely willing to expand the search outward if transport and an evaluation by a trainer can be arranged!

@Ljilly28 - Thank you!

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
If the service dog folks don't have a trained dog for you, perhaps they have one who just missed passing their tests who would work for you. Have you asked them about that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts