Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My apologies if this is in the wrong section; I'm new here. I recently lost my twin goldens three months apart and just shy of their 8th birthday to two different types of cancer. While I loved every minute with my boys and wouldn't trade it even knowing how hard the end would be, this has rammed home the need to find a reputable breeder for my next puppy to hopefully avoid or at least delay some of these major health problems. I have a split residence, which means that I spend six months in Utah and six months in Texas so I am willing to drive about anywhere to find a healthy, well-cared for pup. I just contacted a breeder in Utah and when I asked if I could see the clearances for all their dogs or at least get a bit more background on their health they sent me an extremely rude response and were obviously very angry that I would even ask such a thing. It was the worst experience I have EVER had with a breeder and I'm a little discouraged that I will ever find a decent breeder or a golden pup that doesn't have massive health problems. There is so much info out there and it seems the slicker the website the shadier the breeder. Any help you can provide to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I am sorry that happened to you. Don’t despair, a responsible breeder will be happy to share he Certifications through a link to OFA so you can see for yourself. You are likely to find those with upto date websites will have that out there before you initiate contact.
You know who gets pissy and rude when asked for this info, irresponsible breeders who have something to hide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,
My apologies if this is in the wrong section; I'm new here. I recently lost my twin goldens three months apart and just shy of their 8th birthday to two different types of cancer. While I loved every minute with my boys and wouldn't trade it even knowing how hard the end would be, this has rammed home the need to find a reputable breeder for my next puppy to hopefully avoid or at least delay some of these major health problems. I have a split residence, which means that I spend six months in Utah and six months in Texas so I am willing to drive about anywhere to find a healthy, well-cared for pup. I just contacted a breeder in Utah and when I asked if I could see the clearances for all their dogs or at least get a bit more background on their health they sent me an extremely rude response and were obviously very angry that I would even ask such a thing. It was the worst experience I have EVER had with a breeder and I'm a little discouraged that I will ever find a decent breeder or a golden pup that doesn't have massive health problems. There is so much info out there and it seems the slicker the website the shadier the breeder. Any help you can provide to point me in the right direction would be greatly
Terri Hoag
Cell: 727-422-4656
Livingston, TN

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
OP I am so sorry for your losses all at once. Be sure where ever you find a litter to have someone check it out for full clearances, as OFA has nuance that's not easy to learn -especially when you are hoping you have found the one!
The breeder in Utah= obviously did not have full clearances on sire and dam, so count yourself lucky you didn't give them money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sorry that happened to you. Don’t despair, a responsible breeder will be happy to share he Certifications through a link to OFA so you can see for yourself. You are likely to find those with upto date websites will have that out there before you initiate contact.
You know who gets pissy and rude when asked for this info, irresponsible breeders who have something to hide.
That's what I'm thinking. They decided to start a blast war of facebook over it and posted the initial email that I had sent them online without my permission. Then accused me of harrassing them when I just sent one email. I mean, dude what the heck?!? I asked the basic questions that everyone says should be asked and answered. Anyway, thanks for your words of encouragment. Definitely needed them today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I will definitely do that. I do feel like I dodged a bullet but it makes me angry that others will get these dogs and enable them to keep breeding with dodgy practices. I can't believe how hard it is to find someone. I'm not even looking to get a puppy right away, I'm just trying to find someone to keep my eye on for a few months down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.