Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking for a puppy to join our family. I was excited about finding a puppy but it doesn't work well for now. Can someone help me to figure out what I can do next for having a dog from a good breeder? Or what's wrong with me...?

I contacted 3 breeders but I'm starting to be afraid that breeders don't like me...:confused:

Our living situation.
-We live in an apartment for a year. 1bedroom with nice terrace. Our apartment is dog friendly and it has a big dog park.
-We don't have kids.
-I came from Japan 2years ago. I'm 29 years old. I got married with Chinese American. My English is not good.
-We took care of 2 dogs for short time.
-I had 2 dogs before.

One breeder who I talked shortly over the phone: She said the puppy would be $2500. I researched price range but it seems like that it's too expensive for a puppy? I didn't sent back answers for her questionnaire...
One breeder who has good reviews on this message board as a person and a breeder. she has never replied to me... I sent answers to her questionnaire on last saturday and a following up mail yesterday... I know she has puppies now... I liked her though(I've read her webpage)...This makes me pretty sad..
One breeder who has good reputation: I answered his questionnaire on last friday. But no reply..

·
Registered
367 Posts
There can be a million reasons why they haven't gotten back to you yet.

They could be at a show, and they have someone watching the litter.
They could be on vacation. (I hear some people can do that)
They have a lot of inquiries to go through.

You don't know. Getting a puppy from a repeatable breeder can be 2 months to years of waiting.

What are the names of the breeders you are looking at?

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,523 Posts
Try looking here for breeder suggestions, and here for what to watch out for when you are making an initial contact with breeders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply. I understand that. I was looking at Reflections goldens, A promise kennels, Aubridge goldens in CA.

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
Not sure where you are in California, but $2500 isn't that unusual for a really well-bred puppy in many areas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DanaRuns, thank you for the good information. I didn't ask about the price. But in questionnaire there was color preference, I answered "light"... It might not be a good answer. The color wasn't really important to me...

Thank you Noreaster for your reply. We live in Northern California. I read some posts on this message board and I expected that the price would be about under 2000. So I was a little surprised. She was nice though. After I talked with her. She called to my husband and spent her time for talking with him...

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,523 Posts
I think $2500 rather high. Who quoted you that? I'm interested to know.

Usually those prices are charged for "English Creme" Goldens, which is essentially a rip off of those people ignorant enough to think that getting a light Golden is super special. You are right that a well-bred Golden usually goes for around $2000, give or take a couple hundred bucks either way. Both my current champion show dogs were $2,000 each. And their pedigrees are HEAVILY titled. You can click the links in my signature, and compare them to the pedigrees of your $2500 possible puppy to see if those pups are priced appropriately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for you reply and showing me your dogs pedigree. Your dogs are beautiful and they have great pedigree! The price is quoted by a breeder in Orangevale. So I asked about puppies Sire and Dam's name. I guess I messed up the first contact with her. I was so nervous over the phone... She was kind enough to talk with my husband after the first contact and send me puppies Sire and Dam's information...

I think I'll wait for a while to see if I can get a reply from other 2 breeders.
We're planning to visit an annual workshop conducted by the NorcalGRC this Saturday. I expect that we might be able to have some chances to talk with breeders.

Again, I appreciate your reply!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
We're planning to visit an annual workshop conducted by the NorcalGRC this Saturday. I expect that we might be able to have some chances to talk with breeders.
That's a really good idea. If it's the one at Cal State, it's really fun. Yes, you should be able to talk to breeders there. It's a very casual atmosphere...at least the last one I went to there was.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I know this week and the next couple weeks are pretty busy show weeks here in the Midwest. Many people are currently out of town at the shows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@kwhit Thanks for your reply! Yes, it's the one at California state. I'm looking forward to visiting the event :)

@cubbysan Thanks for your info. It seems a busy season for breeders. I'll patiently wait and see.

Thank you everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts