Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, we're looking for a puppy or under 1-2 years old Golden Retriever(preferably male). Can anyone help me find a breeder who may have a dog they would like to rehome or a litter in the near future?
We live in North California. We can drive to South California, Nevada, Oregon. We are a pretty active family and don't have kids, but it would be great if we can have a mild tempered dog. We've already checked Norcal Golden Retriever Club puppy referral and some rescue groups. Thank you!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check with Moonlit Acres near Oregon. They have amazing puppies. I have actually bought 2 puppies from Dana. She is very honest, caring, & you wont find healthier puppies. They have some of the best bloodlines available.

·
Kristy
10,430 Posts
At the top of the page is a white rectangular box for the search feature. If you enter some terms like "California Reputable Breeder" etc. you will pull up numerous old threads on the subject. Reading through those may give you some ideas of where to start.

If you have not done so, please consider looking over the 'stickies' at the top of the 'finding a breeder' board of this forum and familiarize yourself with some of the terms for recognizing what makes a reputable breeder and how you want to make sure your puppy is being raised and correct clearances on the parents of your prospective puppy.

Here are some places to start with the big picture - Golden Retriever Club of America - Golden Retriever Club of America GRCA: The Official AKC National Breed Club and you could also try breeders in Canada Golden Retriever Club of Canada | Dedicated to Education, Ownership and Responsible Breeding. Look over the health information carefully. The more informed and educated you are, the less likely you are to be taken advantage of.

·
Kristy
10,430 Posts
Check with Moonlit Acres near Oregon. They have amazing puppies. I have actually bought 2 puppies from Dana. She is very honest, caring, & you wont find healthier puppies. They have some of the best bloodlines available.
No. This is not an option for someone looking for puppies from a reputable breeder. The current litter being marketed for sale and ready on September 5 is sired by a dog under age two. "Vesafjell's Prince Charming" has been bred with incomplete health clearances for hips or elbows and the dog is a carrier for Ichthyosis (a skin condition). The dam of the litter, Ashbury Head Over Heels, is also a carrier and is affected by the skin condition. By breeding these two dogs, the breeder has ensured that there will be affected puppies in this litter. Ichthyosis of Golden Retriever breed | Antagene The condition doesn't develop until 6 months of age. The puppy buyers will have no idea this could be an issue for their dog until after they have parted with their money and fallen in love with their new puppy.

The sire of the litter won't turn two until November. This is not how things are done by a reputable breeder. The health clearances are not final until age two. This litter should never have been bred.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I've actually seen heavy flaking at 8 weeks in one litter I evaluated for a breeder nearby, which was her first clue that her bitch and the stud dog (who is one of the most heavily used dogs in the area) had to both be carriers... he has now been tested and found that yes, he is a carrier. She's not going to do the test on her bitch simply because the affected puppy proves she too is at least a carrier. I do think it typically shows up much later, like you said, around 5-6 months, but it CAN be seen earlier.
Typically, large flakes up to sheets of keratinized skin fall off the dog in the form of flakes, and can crust and form sores.
Ict carrier (or even affected) status is not a reason not to breed an animal. However, choosing a breeding partner that does not produce affected puppies is a crucial part of managing a healthy breeding program.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Joanne Scott of Scott's 24k Goldens is expecting a litter soon, she is in Central California (Exeter).

·
Registered
59 Posts
My pup is from Whiskey Creek Goldens in OR. He's super mellow, yet confident and up for anything. We were impressed at how calm all her dogs seemed to be and our puppy is an absolute dream!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my pups from Shadalabe Goldens. Both parents had all the hip and elbow clearances, good pedigree. My female is two and beautiful and healthy and very sweet. My seven month old is absolutely gorgeous and one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned. The breeder was amazing and the facility was wonderful. I read some negative comments on here, but the one about it being dirty and and a dog playing with a blade if some kind seems ridiculous. They do have a all breed board and train facilty and dog rescue you on site. I have had them train my dogs and board them there, as I travel frequency and have been very satisfied with them. I saw their dogs at a dog show in Del Mar and fell in love. After doing research and speaking to some of their references I visited and promptly got put on the waiting list for my girl.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know nothing about Moonlit but please read the thread about this breeder for a variety of thoughts and opinions. Also note that the people who recommend them have just joined this forum to (it seems) defend the breeder. They may be wonderful dogs, but I am not convinced that they are "some of the best bloodlines available".
Best of luck with your search!! it's an important process with a lot of information to evaluate and consider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts