Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

We have been looking for a golden pup for several months now. We are located in So Cal. While looking at the Dam/Sire's pedigrees, we have been very careful to pay attention to the 4 core clearances, which we know is very important. Other than that, we don't have a reference about color, nor gender.

I see some breeders who's lines are more "field" type Goldens. Should we stay away from those breeders if we are not planning on optimizing those inherited traits? Meaning are we doing the pup a disservice?

Thanks!

·
Kristy
9,477 Posts
Breeders who focus on working dogs/field work or obedience or agility for their 'hobby' will be making those working traits a priority. This can make the dogs a lot of fun and easy to train for people who know how to use the instincts to their advantage. It can also mean the dog is more of a handful in terms of energy levels and the need for mental stimulation. However, there are some field breeders who really care about having a dog with an "off switch" meaning if the dog receives proper daily aerobic exercise and training and is taught manners it will settle happily in the house with it's family and be a joy to live with. Honestly, this should be the ideal with any Golden breeder no matter what their hobby of choice is (conformation shows or whatever). There are plenty of 'conformation' Goldens who are couch potatoes and don't do much after they mature. However there are also plenty who are extremely smart dogs and need to have games and training and some exercises so they're not bouncing off the walls. These are all things that should be /discussed with the breeder when you're shopping around. I would go into this with the expectation that you will need to devote a year to 18 months at a minimum being in obedience classes and working on foundation obedience with any Golden puppy. They need daily exercise and engagement beyond just leash walks around the block. If you talk to the breeder about what kind of dogs they hope to produce with a mating, they should be able to tell you it's going to be very high drive litter or will most likely produce puppies that are or are not a good fit for a first time Golden owner. In all honesty, I'd prefer to live with a higher energy Golden who loves to retrieve and wants to play games with people because it's easier to manage them using the retrieving instinct. I know a couple conformation bred Goldens who are kind of all over the place and very bright but it can be difficult to exercise them because they get bored retrieving after just a couple throws and they don't have a ton of focus. A breeder who cares about all aspects of the Golden, what's inside AND out is the kind of person you want to buy a puppy from. Look for breeders who talk about balanced dogs mentally and physically.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A legitimate breeder of field/performance dogs won't sell you a pup if you don't hunt or compete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts