Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time golden retriever owner (English Creams). I do therapy work with 2 of my Goldens (Veterans Admin, Court System, Children's Hospitals.). I just lost my best friend of 13 years and am am looking to train a new female puppy. The breeders of my current dogs are no longer breeding.

Can someone tell me of any breeders (English cream) that you have experience with and recommend? I am willing to travel as I want to fully check out myself the facility. Preferable in Pa, NJ, Del, but again I will travel further.

Any help is much appreciated.

Joe

· Registered
30 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss, as many people will probably tell you anyone who markets their dogs as English Creams are not ethical breeders and don’t have all the clearances and testing that they should for their dogs. Ethical breeders would never use that term and they would tell you there isn’t such a thing in the breed, light colored yes but not English Creams.

I don’t know anyone in those areas but I’d definitely try searching the forum using those states as see what comes up. Also please search up English creams and you’ll find lots of post saying why you shouldn’t shop from those breeders. I do wish you the best of luck on your search😊

· Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry for your loss. As noted, we should have some existing threads recommending reputable/ethical breeders in the states you mention. I encourage you to make use of the "search community" function at the top of the Forum to search terms like "Breeders PA" (and "English Cream" ;) ) to find existing recommendations and discussions. In the meantime, these resources will help you learn how to distinguish reputable/ethical breeders from those who are not.

GRCA Code of Ethics - Golden Retriever Club of America (note especially the four core clearances every ethical breeder should get for dogs they use in their breeding program. As noted, the majority of breeders who refer to their dogs as "English Cream" will NOT have those four core clearances, which is why members of this forum tend to use it as an automatic "disqualification" for reputable breeders).

• Love
Reactions: ArkansasGold

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So sorry to hear about your loss, as many people will probably tell you anyone who markets their dogs as English Creams are not ethical breeders and don’t have all the clearances and testing that they should for their dogs. Ethical breeders would never use that term and they would tell you there isn’t such a thing in the breed, light colored yes but not English Creams.

I don’t know anyone in those areas but I’d definitely try searching the forum using those states as see what comes up. Also please search up English creams and you’ll find lots of post saying why you shouldn’t shop from those breeders. I do wish you the best of luck on your search😊
Thank you for the information

· Registered
2,147 Posts
I am a long time golden retriever owner (English Creams).
No such thing exists. It's a made up backyard (unethical) breeder term. See the links people shared above to learn about how to get an ethically bred golden retriever for your next dog. (y)

· Registered
17 Posts
I am very very sorry for your loss. I know it is a difficult time for you. Please refer to the statement from the Golden Retriever Club of America's statement re: English Cremes
English Cream Golden Retrievers - Golden Retriever Club of America. IMO the term is click bait used on line (among other things) by people to justify increasing the cost of a puppy who has possibly been poorly bred.

· Registered
Legally Blonde
46 Posts
@JoeV I am so sorry that you lost your dog. I think it’s awesome that you are ready to open your heart to a new one. I researched breeders for 2 years as a lurker on this forum and read a lot of helpful content. I ended up choosing SilkSpun Goldens in Birmingham, Alabama. I’m also in PA, so that was a long way to go, but worth it for me because I really aligned with the breeder’s approach, philosophy, and commitment to matching the right dogs to the right families.

If Alabama isn’t too far for you, you could find SilkSpun on Facebook and I did see the other day that there is a litter with a pup or two available (by Bitsy’s dad!) You could start the process of getting to know the breeder and seeing if you guys are the right fit.

I flew Bitsy back on American Airlines - the only one that offered a direct flight from Birmingham to Philly. She slept the whole time and I think her ticket was like $125. It was doable!

Good luck to you!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@JoeV I am so sorry that you lost your dog. I think it’s awesome that you are ready to open your heart to a new one. I researched breeders for 2 years as a lurker on this forum and read a lot of helpful content. I ended up choosing SilkSpun Goldens in Birmingham, Alabama. I’m also in PA, so that was a long way to go, but worth it for me because I really aligned with the breeder’s approach, philosophy, and commitment to matching the right dogs to the right families.

If Alabama isn’t too far for you, you could find SilkSpun on Facebook and I did see the other day that there is a litter with a pup or two available (by Bitsy’s dad!) You could start the process of getting to know the breeder and seeing if you guys are the right fit.

I flew Bitsy back on American Airlines - the only one that offered a direct flight from Birmingham to Philly. She slept the whole time and I think her ticket was like $125. It was doable!

Good luck to you!
This is so helpful. I appreciate the insight. I will check them out.

· Super Moderator
1,179 Posts
I am a long time golden retriever owner (English Creams). I do therapy work with 2 of my Goldens (Veterans Admin, Court System, Children's Hospitals.). I just lost my best friend of 13 years and am am looking to train a new female puppy. The breeders of my current dogs are no longer breeding.

Can someone tell me of any breeders (English cream) that you have experience with and recommend? I am willing to travel as I want to fully check out myself the facility. Preferable in Pa, NJ, Del, but again I will travel further.

Any help is much appreciated.

Joe
Here is a list of ethical breeders in PA. They are not necessarily light in color, but they are the type of breeder to get a dog from.

Pennsylvania
  • Greater Pittsburgh GRC – Pittsburgh PA
  • Lenape Golden Retriever Club – Quakertown, PA
  • Harborview (Conformation)
    • Jennifer Craig — Erie, PA
  • Hillock (Conformation)
    • Tammy Tomlinson — Ligonier, PA
  • Infinite Goldens
    • Sheri McCormick - Pittsburgh, PA
  • Sunbolyn (Conformation)
    • Kim and Rick Kelley — Fleetwood, PA
  • Brienne (Conformation)
    • Anne Pittman — Valencia, PA
  • Ruffwater (Conformation)
    • Marcy Kronz — Pittsburgh, PA
  • Highlight (Conformation)
    • Patrice Loves — Middletown, PA
  • GoldenSoul (Conformation)

Also, Lisa already shared this link, but the breeders mentioned at the below link tend to breed dogs lighter in color.
https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/threads/ethical-english-creme-breeders.511678/

· Registered
2,147 Posts
Here is a list of ethical breeders in PA. They are not necessarily light in color, but they are the type of breeder to get a dog from.

Pennsylvania
  • Hillock (Conformation)
  • Infinite Goldens
  • Brienne (Conformation)

Also, Lisa already shared this link, but the breeders mentioned at the below link tend to breed dogs lighter in color.
Ethical "English Creme" breeders
Sunbolyn has some quite light dogs I think.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Pennsylvania
  • Hillock (Conformation)
  • Infinite Goldens
  • Brienne (Conformation)

Ethical "English Creme" breeders
Thank you so much. You and others have been so helpful. I always say dog lovers are your kindest and most friendly people. Thanks again.

· Registered
Babe
78 Posts
Sorry about the loss of your dog …
When I hear the words describe a golden as an “English Cream” first thing that comes to mind is just another pet owner who got schmoozed into thinking they got something special. In this day and age folks need to advocate for yourselves and dig a little deeper into researching, whether it’s seeking out medical help, politics, buying a car or the latest snake oil vitamin cure for what ails you. Lots of schisters and con artist BS artists abound in every facet these days.

This forum is a good start to set you straight. Many good breeders have litters that can possibly offer a light color golden in the mix. If you want a well bred dog from a good reputable breeder drop the “English Cream” request from the application form and you may have a better shot at getting a great dog.

don’t buy the hype

1 - 16 of 16 Posts