Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear about essential oils for fleas and maybe ticks...does anyone have experience with a natural solution for moquitoes?

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
I use garlic tablet or make my dogs garlic meatballs. It seems to keep the fleas and ticks off.
I have sprayed them with avon's skin-so-soft but have to re spray pretty often and I didn't like them licking it off.
A couple of things that are supposed to deter fleas are lavendaer, eucalyptus trees, and cedar. I replace all of my pine bark nuggets with cedar chips and bought 2 eucalyptus trees.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I bought some mosquito citronella plants to plant in my back a few summers ago and they actually repelled mosquitoes and other bugs. I need to get more for this summer. I've tried all sorts of things on me since the West Nile outbreak here last summer and the only products I *trust* (used loosely because I detest the stuff) are those with DEET in them. I tried herbal ones but always felt they weren't doing enough to protect me as I still swatted on walks. Once I put the poison Deet products on my skin they didn't get near me- but I detested every minute that stuff was on my skin.

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
I've found essential oils work okay, citronella in particular but not great.
Here's a tick powder I make that actually works equally well with mosqitoes, you can apply it weekly/biweekly. You can even spread if around the house.

1 part diatomaceous earth (burns and dehydrates mosquitoes, they should fly off after touching it)

1 part dry neem (strongly repels)

1 part yarrow (repels)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I have used a mixture of vanilla extract and water (2 tsp vanilla to 1 cup water) with success. Safe for humans and pets. I put it in a spray bottle and use it on the dogs, avoiding their head, on my clothing/skin when going outside, and around outside doorways to help deter them from coming in the house.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've found essential oils work okay, citronella in particular but not great.
Here's a tick powder I make that actually works equally well with mosqitoes, you can apply it weekly/biweekly. You can even spread if around the house.

1 part diatomaceous earth (burns and dehydrates mosquitoes, they should fly off after touching it)

1 part dry neem (strongly repels)

1 part yarrow (repels)

>>> Where did you get the dry neem and what type of yarrow? Did you put it on the dog's fur?

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
Yes I filled an air duster with it and worked it into his coat. I got them online about 6 months ago but health food stores will likely have both, also make sure the DE is food grade

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Essential oil of peppermint diluted with water in a spray bottle works pretty well. I put it on the dog and on myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts