Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anybody recommend a good GR groomer in the Toronto/Etobicoke area? I'm nervous to bring my 18mth GR to a commercial (big box) groomer, as I worry that they will just do a generic trim, which may not be appropriate for a Golden. I'd be happy to take her to a 'show groomer' (although she is not a show dog) if that were the only way to guarantee a proper groom.

Thanks for your help,
Peter

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
I have no idea what it's like up there but down in TX NONE of the groomers know how to do a show type grooming. They do what is called a sanitary clip and many times this is done so poorly. Prices will vary... In the Ft. Worth/Dallas area it is $145. for a bath and blow dry / no groomer involved. In my current small town it's $35 for a bath & blow dry.. they even clip the nails & clean out the ears, so I was told. I've never used them so don't know how good of a job they do but you can see the price variations.

I'm still in the learning phase for the golden grooming part but have never taken any of my dogs, golden or not to a groomer. I have always done it myself. I did find a place (where I used to live) that offered a DIY bath option. Basically they offered the tubs, shampoo, grooming tables and dryers. I think it was like $7. This cut down on the bathroom clean up :)

If you call around looking for groomers be sure and ask if they use cage dryers. The better grooming places will have someone that "hand" dries your dog vs. spending 3 hrs in a cage with hot air blowing on them.. this is not good.

IF you decide to do this yourself be sure and get them thoroughly dry as damp skin can contribute to getting hot spots. It's not that hard to give them a bath and blow them dry and worth the investment to purchase the dryer.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I believe some Pet Valu store locations have grooming/bathing areas where you can bring your pet bathed & groomed by yourself. I don't know what the cost is but if you don't have the space, that is an option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts