Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We're looking for a golden retriever puppy in the San Francisco bay area, and we would like to bring home the one in the mid of this year around April/May. Any useful information is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Jason Deng

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Here's a list of NorCal breeders from this post in the forum: Northern California Breeders

If you search on Northern California, you might find other recommendations. (For example, I've seen two recent posts about NorCal breeders who looked good. It seemed like they were working with Master's in some way as I think - if I'm remembering correctly - one or more of their dogs were from Master's. But, I couldn't quickly find those threads, although I'm sure you could if you play around with the search feature.) With any breeder you find, you should always check to make sure that the breeder is following the GRCA's COE for breeding.

Please note - I have not used any of these breeders and am not recommending them. Although I live in NorCal, my Goldens came from breeders in other states and I only recommend those breeders via a PM, not in the public forum. I'm just sharing a list that I've seen previously on this forum and have heard good things about.

Sunbeam Goldens in So Cal. Cathie probably won't have any litters until 2018, but she can direct you to others who will.

Osprey Goldens in Nor Cal

Birnam Woods - NorCal

Aubridge Goldens - Sacramento

Foxfire Goldens - Petaluma

Master's Goldens - NorCal

A Promise Kennel - I want to say Central CA

Scotts 24k Goldens - Central CA

Emberain Goldens in Petaluma - these will be very high energy field goldens if that is something you're interested in

Shyan Goldens - Oregon

Also, if you live in NorCal, you've got two great service dog organizations that are always looking for volunteer puppy raisers. Since I'm active with one of them, I don't recommend them publicly but am happy to send you a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank
Here's a list of NorCal breeders from this post in the forum: Northern California Breeders

If you search on Northern California, you might find other recommendations. (For example, I've seen two recent posts about NorCal breeders who looked good. It seemed like they were working with Master's in some way as I think - if I'm remembering correctly - one or more of their dogs were from Master's. But, I couldn't quickly find those threads, although I'm sure you could if you play around with the search feature.) With any breeder you find, you should always check to make sure that the breeder is following the GRCA's COE for breeding.

Please note - I have not used any of these breeders and am not recommending them. Although I live in NorCal, my Goldens came from breeders in other states and I only recommend those breeders via a PM, not in the public forum. I'm just sharing a list that I've seen previously on this forum and have heard good things about.

Sunbeam Goldens in So Cal. Cathie probably won't have any litters until 2018, but she can direct you to others who will.

Osprey Goldens in Nor Cal

Birnam Woods - NorCal

Aubridge Goldens - Sacramento

Foxfire Goldens - Petaluma

Master's Goldens - NorCal

A Promise Kennel - I want to say Central CA

Scotts 24k Goldens - Central CA

Emberain Goldens in Petaluma - these will be very high energy field goldens if that is something you're interested in

Shyan Goldens - Oregon

Also, if you live in NorCal, you've got two great service dog organizations that are always looking for volunteer puppy raisers. Since I'm active with one of them, I don't recommend them publicly but am happy to send you a PM if you're interested.
Thank you for the info! And would you please share with me the two organizations in NorCal? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
Thank

Thank you for the info! And would you please share with me the two organizations in NorCal? Thank you.
I sent you a PM (or conversation as they're now called) about the two organizations in NorCal. Since I'm a moderator on this forum and volunteer with one of the two organizations, I don't want to be seen as providing preferential treatment to the group I volunteer with which is why I only discuss those two organizations via PM.

·
Super Moderator
964 Posts
The breeder who is working with Masters and Foxfire is Dream Golden Retrievers in Hollister. We’re talking to her about a pup.
Thank you! Somebody on the forum had commented about them but I couldn't remember their name or quickly find that post!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
If this Tehama- no don't- it is not a litter anyone gave any thought to creating safer puppies with.

Sire has zero clearances, dam's pedigree is absent of clearances and she herself lacks heart and eyes. Sire is old enough for clearances so he either failed them or they didn't bother. MODS! THIS sort of mention on the forum is really offensive when stsmark can make suggestions of litters that are not worth investigating but let someone post a site without even knowing there are pups available they get slapped for it.
This is the kind of 'breeder' that makes me so angry- two dogs in the backyard and they are selling puppies for $1500.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
If this Tehama- no don't- it is not a litter anyone gave any thought to creating safer puppies with.

Sire has zero clearances, dam's pedigree is absent of clearances and she herself lacks heart and eyes. Sire is old enough for clearances so he either failed them or they didn't bother. MODS! THIS sort of mention on the forum is really offensive when stsmark can make suggestions of litters that are not worth investigating but let someone post a site without even knowing there are pups available they get slapped for it.
This is the kind of 'breeder' that makes me so angry- two dogs in the backyard and they are selling puppies for $1500.
Hello Prism,

Thank you for your message.

I have been chatting with Tehema for a while over the internet, and by far the breeder hasn't offered me the parents' clearance. I will take your thought into serious considerations.

Jason D.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Hello Prism,

Thank you for your message.

I have been chatting with Tehema for a while over the internet, and by far the breeder hasn't offered me the parents' clearance. I will take your thought into serious considerations.

Jason D.
That would be because the mom is lacking and the dad has none. Health certifications are easily verifiable online at www.ofa.org. All you should need is the paren dog registration names or numbers, which we already have. Sure PennHIP is not verifiable but they only do hips. They do not do elbows, eyes or hearts.

you have to decided if you are willing to pay a pretty exorbitant price for a health risky puppy. Don’t be snowed by cute puppies or claims that parent dogs “never had any problems“ without testing, they don’t know and you are shouldering the additional risk random breeding creates.

Below are some images that you might find helpful. The last is what you should see on www.ofa.org when full health certifications are in place. The green highlights and arrows are my emphasis.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be because the mom is lacking and the dad has none. Health certifications are easily verifiable online at www.ofa.org. All you should need is the paren dog registration names or numbers, which we already have. Sure PennHIP is not verifiable but they only do hips. They do not do elbows, eyes or hearts.

you have to decided if you are willing to pay a pretty exorbitant price for a health risky puppy. Don’t be snowed by cute puppies or claims that parent dogs “never had any problems“ without testing, they don’t know and you are shouldering the additional risk random breeding creates.

Below are some images that you might find helpful. The last is what you should see on www.ofa.org when full health certifications are in place. The green highlights and arrows are my emphasis.

View attachment 869908 View attachment 869909 View attachment 869910
Hello LJack,

Thank you for your response.

Another user from this forum introduced me to the OFA website, and I have found the database to be very useful for me. I almost put down the deposit for another breeder's litter who couldn't provide me the OFA certifications of the litters' parents, but eventually I decided not to because multiple people have told me the importance of insisting on seeing the parents' OFA clearances before making the decision, and I think they all were right.

Cordially,
Jason

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello all,

I want give everyone an update on this thread.

My family and I are pleased to welcome home a female golden retriever puppy from Ms. Shannon Oliver in Reno, NV. We got referral of Ms. Oliver from norcalgrc and its members, and we are expecting the puppy to come home this April. Thank you for those who have helped us along the way for your advice and comments, and we take all those into serious considerations.

I will update here again if I have any other notable thoughts.

Jason D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts