Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I hope everyone is doing well.
I just joined this Forum. I live in Waltham Massachusetts and I'm looking for a Golden Retriever puppy from a reliable breeder.
I had a dog in my childhood but this is going to be my first dog. I've done a lot of research on raising a Dog, and contacted multiple AKC registered breeders in July but haven't had any luck!.

Looking for some help and guidance in getting a Golden puppy.

Thanks,

·
Kristy
10,064 Posts
Welcome, sorry you're not having the response you'd hoped for. It has always been an exercise of patience and time invested in researching and networking to find a carefully bred Golden because the demand greatly exceeds the supply. Especially in the northeast. The lockdown and everyone being home has really increased the demand, people are home and figure it's a great time to get a puppy. Many excellent Golden breeders have quit taking names for wait lists through next year. You're going to have to be willing to travel and be patient about timing. Have you reached out to any of the Golden Retriever Club puppy referral people? Or the regional clubs? grca.org has lists and you can also try contacting clubs on facebook. Also use the search feature on this forum and bring up threads on breeders in Florida or Midwest or Northeast etc. There are good ones listed here but you still need to ask about clearances on any litter you find. AKC affiliation means absolutely zilch for finding a really conscientious breeder. You need someone who follows the Golden Retriever club of America code of ethics for breeders, is religious about health clearances and uses those clearances and genetic testing to help guide breeding decisions - you also want your breeder to be super committed to raising puppies with regard to socialization and doing things with them to get them a great start in life, not just sticking them out in a kennel or outdoor pen for the month before they go home. Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, sorry you're not having the response you'd hoped for. It has always been an exercise of patience and time invested in researching and networking to find a carefully bred Golden because the demand greatly exceeds the supply. Especially in the northeast. The lockdown and everyone being home has really increased the demand, people are home and figure it's a great time to get a puppy. Many excellent Golden breeders have quit taking names for wait lists through next year. You're going to have to be willing to travel and be patient about timing. Have you reached out to any of the Golden Retriever Club puppy referral people? Or the regional clubs? grca.org has lists and you can also try contacting clubs on facebook. Also use the search feature on this forum and bring up threads on breeders in Florida or Midwest or Northeast etc. There are good ones listed here but you still need to ask about clearances on any litter you find. AKC affiliation means absolutely zilch for finding a really conscientious breeder. You need someone who follows the Golden Retriever club of America code of ethics for breeders, is religious about health clearances and uses those clearances and genetic testing to help guide breeding decisions - you also want your breeder to be super committed to raising puppies with regard to socialization and doing things with them to get them a great start in life, not just sticking them out in a kennel or outdoor pen for the month before they go home. Best of luck with your search.
Thank you for the response and information you have shared. I have contacted few AKC registered breeders and I have sent an email to New England puppy referral clubs.
Some of the club members had shared few breeders details. I have tried contacting them and some of them responded but unfortunately they have a huge waiting list. I have been waiting since July and I'm willing to wait longer but I need some certainty. I had applied on Good dogs website some breeders did not respond I have been waiting and then one of them rejected with no reasons. I tried reaching out to know why was I rejected. I am actually willing to adapt to anything new or make changes to my lifestyle if need. I badly needed the feedback but the breeder did not reply. I am an active person, I like walking, running, hiking, swimming. I even stay closer to my office so coming and checking on the dog is not an issue. Currently i am working from home, I have my cousin with me who is also willing to share the responsibilities.
I am aware of dog's needs and health issues, shedding, etc., I have even told the breeder I'm willing to send the dog for training classes puppy socializing classes etc. I live in a pet friendly community there are many Golden Retrievers here. But I don't know why did the breeder reject me.

I'm looking for breeders who can guarantee on OFA and/or Penn Hip certification, OFA elbow clearances , heart clearances, eye clearances etc. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Also consider applying for a rescue. Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue is located in Hudson, MA.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also consider applying for a rescue. Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue is located in Hudson, MA.
Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue is not currently accepting applications. They are asking people to check back later in the fall.

Have you called the puppy referral people at Yankee Golden Retriever Club? They were very supportive and helpful when we started our search.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue is not currently accepting applications. They are asking people to check back later in the fall.

Have you called the puppy referral people at Yankee Golden Retriever Club? They were very supportive and helpful when we started our search.
Good point but keep checking!

Reactions: ruthbe

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yes I have sent an email. Waiting for the response. Other people from puppy referral clubs responded with some breeders information. But none of them have any puppies. I'm willing to wait for few months if they can guarantee one.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Yes I have sent an email. Waiting for the response. Other people from puppy referral clubs responded with some breeders information. But none of them have any puppies. I'm willing to wait for few months if they can guarantee one.
No good, ethical breeder is going to have puppies that are not spoken for months or even a year in advance. Find a good breeder that is doing all the clearances and socialization and who you like, and then get on a waiting list. It's worth the wait.

Reactions: nolefan and ruthbe

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
No good, ethical breeder is going to have puppies that are not spoken for months or even a year in advance. Find a good breeder that is doing all the clearances and socialization and who you like, and then get on a waiting list. It's worth the wait.
I'm going to second "Sweet Girls" post. I know you don't want to hear it but it is very unlikely you will find a reputable breeder (anywhere) who has a litter planned anytime soon who doesn't have a long wait list already hoping to get a puppy from that litter. As noted, you are best off identifying a few breeders who seem to be doing things "right" and stay in touch (send periodic, polite email inquiries, join their FB page, etc.) so you can get on "the list" as soon as there is an opening. If you find someone in New England who has puppies available anytime between now and the end of the year, (or even as early as next spring) I encourage you to come back here and post the kennel name and, ideally, the registered name/number of the dam/sire so we can help you determine if the breeder is reputable.

In the meantime, you may find this thread helpful as you begin your search: Looking For Breeder Advice [New England]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, as I mentioned earlier I'm willing to wait but I was hoping to get into the waitlist at least within 6 months. I have mailed many breeders and only few of them replied. I understand that the demand is very high right now.
I emailed puppy referral clubs and received contacts for few breeders. I have emailed them and haven't got any response yet.

I tried to contact the Yankee Golden Retriever Club few days back and the email kept bouncing. I have got another email id through the website today (looks like it was updated recently). I have emailed them again.

Thank you guys for all the guidance. I hope I can get into the waitlist asap.

·
Kristy
10,064 Posts
..... I have been waiting since July and I'm willing to wait longer but I need some certainty. I had applied on Good dogs website some breeders did not respond....
I know you would like some certainty, this isn't what you want to hear but we are talking about living animals. Even shopping at Walmart for a stuffed toy, when the demand exceeds the supply for the most popular Christmas toy, you find it's sold out with empty shelves. With Golden Retrievers, there is always more demand for a carefully bred and raised puppy with health clearances than there are puppies ready to go at any one time. Always. These are living creatures, the females only come in season (meaning they can get pregnant) every 6-9 months. There is no way for a breeder to even know exactly what week that will be. There is a small window when the female can get pregnant. The breeder usually is a real person with a job and a life and they do the best they can to time the breeding so the pregnancy takes, but it doesn't always work which is a major disappointment to a lot of people,but most of all the breeder who often times has invested very large sums of money on the science/vet part of the breeding. It's not a conveyor belt. Gooddogs website and AKC registered breeders are not going to be an ideal resource for a carefully bred Golden puppy. You have to do the leg work, what you're looking for in a puppy is most readily found with a high quality hobby breeder and they tend to not have websites or don't have time to keep them up. It's not easy but it's worth the effort. Sweetgirl and some others have told you the way to make this happen and unfortunately, there is no guarantee on a timeline. Patience is key. The best things in life are worth waiting for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, guys! You are right the waitlist is till 2021/2022 among the famous and reputable breeders. I'm mentally getting prepared to wait now. I read a lot of posts on people getting fooled through some places that do not breed with quality but quantity. I do realize that it is worth waiting for the right breeder and the puppy that goes well with my nature and lifestyle.

Also, as suggested in the thread I did look for some local breeders as well. I have found few breeders who are willing to add me to the waitlist which is not as big as the ones with other breeders (6-16 months). However, I need your opinion on these breeders as some of them asked me to pay the deposit.

I spoke to Amy Herbert and she was sweet and shared the k9data of the dogs she is breeding.
Pedigree: UKC CH Kelore's Miss Adorable and

I spoke to Charlene from the yukongoldens as well. Even she was nice and told that her dogs have health clearances and she can add me to her waitlist. She is yet to share the details.

I have contacted other local breeders and asked to add me to the waitlist.

Meanwhile, can anyone please help me with understanding these details on the k9 data? I see that the breeder's dogs have health clearances and they look normal to me. This is my first time getting a dog, So I really need some help.

Thank you so much everyone for the guidance.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
The Kelore dogs have sufficient clearances. Eyes are out of date but GRCA made an exception for Covid.
The 'CH in one weekend' on the bitch isn't a huge brag since it is UKC, the Jazzin dog has a pedigree full of nice dogs behind him. If you can get on her list, that's super lucky!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Kelore dogs have sufficient clearances. Eyes are out of date but GRCA made an exception for Covid.
The 'CH in one weekend' on the bitch isn't a huge brag since it is UKC, the Jazzin dog has a pedigree full of nice dogs behind him. If you can get on her list, that's super lucky!
Thank you, I hope I can get into the wait list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts